Anyone using Fader ND's or equivalent?

Opinions?

I use a Fader ND with HV30 camcorder and 550D in video mode. It works great for me and allows me to shoot with the aperture I want. So far I've only used it outdoors, I think it's not so effective, or even necessary, indoors.

The only drawbacks I find are that it did not come with a lens cap and that it has no hood to reduce flare. Don't have a solution yet for the hood, but I bought a lens cap for $10.

Variable ND. Lovely one filter solution :)

ryan

Thanks Richard, Ryan.
Do you guys know if anyone stocks them locally? Lightcraft are out of 77mm at the moment.

Thanks Richard, Ryan.
Do you guys know if anyone stocks them locally? Lightcraft are out of 77mm at the moment.

not for the variable ND filter though, u will have to get it online.

ryan

DIY. Stack PL over CPL and rotate PL. Though PL's hard to find nowadays.

Fader ND = Extreme crossbar effect at high stops with UWA.

4367684785_584269a67b.jpg

Vignette can be fixed by zooming a little to 11mm. But this cross bar effect... :(

If you want it, PM Eugenep, he sells them.

Fader ND = Extreme crossbar effect at high stops with UWA.

4367684785_584269a67b.jpg

Vignette can be fixed by zooming a little to 11mm. But this cross bar effect... :(

If you want it, PM Eugenep, he sells them.

Not sure if the Variable ND sold in mass order is not the original one from Lightcraft. The original one cost much more.

Not sure if the Variable ND sold in mass order is not the original one from Lightcraft. The original one cost much more.

not sure about the lightcraft variable ND, but i read from dpreview forums that the lightcraft is less linear in demarcating the various stops. I have yet to get this interesting crossbar effect, is it a result of turning past the proposed 8 stops of the lightcraft variable ND ?

ryan

I never saw the cross effect either. I heard it only happens when you stop down below intended max darkness.

Cathay sells the Lightcraft for $180, if I'm not wrong.

Cheers!

It is Genus brand. Is Genus from Lightcraft? Not sure :dunno:

It is Genus brand. Is Genus from Lightcraft? Not sure :dunno:

No it's not. And I haven't read any good reviews about other Genus gear to I think I'll wait for the Lightcraft. Unless I suddenly win 4D and can get the Singh-Ray

Unless I suddenly win 4D and can get the Singh-Ray

The singh ray slim version is actually still quite thick and fat, and will vignette easily on the wider lenses though. I was told the other makes were ? slimmer and lighter. For the SR version, u dun get cross bars going past 8 stops ( but they did mention in their little manual not to go past 8 stops as they will not be able to assure the quality produced ) . But i hardly shoot beyond the proposed max 8 stops anyway.

ryan

No it's not. And I haven't read any good reviews about other Genus gear to I think I'll wait for the Lightcraft. Unless I suddenly win 4D and can get the Singh-Ray

I agree. I think the Genus is way inferior to Lightcraft. Sometime back some bro was trying to bring in the Lightcraft but suddenly it stopped. Not sure?:dunno:

The singh ray slim version is actually still quite thick and fat, and will vignette easily on the wider lenses though.

Another good reason to wait for the lightcraft. Still, I've got another toy to play with today. My DV Tec DSLR rig arrived on the UPS van :)

Another good reason to wait for the lightcraft. Still, I've got another toy to play with today. My DV Tec DSLR rig arrived on the UPS van :)

I heard that the cross effect is common to all such variable ND filters. Is there some reason to expect that the lightcraft will not have this problem?

As far as I can tell from what I've read up on the web it's common to them all due to the nature of crossing two polarised lenses

They have changed the way I have shot stuff on the Canon 5dmkII Before I had to compromise on shutter speed or iris to get the exposure I wanter, now I can get it exactly right with 1/60th shutter in and as wide open or closed down as I want more or less. Also the joy is the ability to gently adjust exposure by turning the variable ND wheel on the front of the lens which gives you what is missing from still camera 35mm lenses, smooth exposure change during a shot. With these you can.

yeah, it was researching into video for the 5D MKiI that got me interested in these too.