Anyone using cooling pads for their laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
I've used a laptop from office for some time. Realize it gets warm really easily. But I'm not so worried as I dun use it for long hours and the room's air-conditioned.

Recently I got a personal laptop myself and unsurprisingly, it heats up quite a lot too especially the bottom. Problem is, my home is not air-conditioned and sometimes, I use it pretty long, about 3 hours at a stretch. Do I need to add some form of cooling system? Read about it... all those cooling pads and stuffs.. Dunno what they are though!

Can anyone recommend me something? OR should I just leave the latop as it is?

THANKS!

Hi David,

I also share similar concerns regarding my laptop heating up quickly. I noticed that the fan comes on very often and for long periods.

The fan exhaust is below and towards the back of the unit so I raised it up which gives me an inclined keyboard. I think it will help remove the heat faster. In addition, I now use a table-top fan unit just to blow cold air on my laptop.

I saw a USB-powered flat base-attached exhaust fan (something like a docking system), and was told by the retailer that they sell lots of it. I was sceptical and didn't buy.

Go to popular, buy 2 of the largest erasers you can find. Stick em underneath the laptop at the top to corners. Lets air circulate under the laptop :)

I think that laptops already have their cooling systems and cooling systems are unnecessary, although my friend says that his laptop stops working when it gets too hot.

David said:
I've used a laptop from office for some time. Realize it gets warm really easily. But I'm not so worried as I dun use it for long hours and the room's air-conditioned.

Recently I got a personal laptop myself and unsurprisingly, it heats up quite a lot too especially the bottom. Problem is, my home is not air-conditioned and sometimes, I use it pretty long, about 3 hours at a stretch. Do I need to add some form of cooling system? Read about it... all those cooling pads and stuffs.. Dunno what they are though!

Can anyone recommend me something? OR should I just leave the latop as it is?

THANKS!

Elevating the notebook helps tremendously. I use a pair of those half-ball devices to tilt the machine. Works a charm. Over time the intake vents, fan and the heatsink tend to get clogged up. Helps to clean them as well to ensure proper airflow.

I find most active laptop cooling devices rather unwieldy.

Well...I think the laptop is designed to withstand cetain temperature range so if it gets too hot...the active fan will kicks in so that the internal component remain stable.......so I think there is more good then harm to keep the laptop cool if prolong usage....then the internal fan will not work that hard and less noise and less wear and tear...there are many off market cooler if you want to try like those Coolermaster http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product_list&p_class=606

Speed balls u mean? :think:

Using that on my iBook. No sweat at all. :)

bought one of those usb-powered laptop coolers before but there's a strange grease smell, so didn't use it much ;p

Using a laptop cooler myself.

Bought 1 ... and it died (laptop runs almost 24/7) ... and half the time, the room is not aircon.

Tip of the day - go get a laptop cooler with replaceable fans as you can replace them if they fail from SLT.

My notebook was shutting down from overheating. Another thing to keep in mind that if your CPU is too hot, it's performance will degrade. In the end i took it in for a service. They thoroughly cleaned inside and now it's working like new again. If you are having cooling issues it could be because of dust inside your notebook.

eraser is good idea eh? :D

I've been using my ipod dock to raise up my thinkpad :D

k time to get an eraser then can use my ipod dock for ipod again :D

kahheng said:
Elevating the notebook helps tremendously. I use a pair of those half-ball devices to tilt the machine. Works a charm. Over time the intake vents, fan and the heatsink tend to get clogged up. Helps to clean them as well to ensure proper airflow.

I find most active laptop cooling devices rather unwieldy.

Thanks all who reply!!!

Hmm, now I vaguely remember seeing the balls to elevate the laptop... where can I buy it? think I prefer this method.

Just curious, where can I see the range of coolers sold and roughly how much does one cost?

Thanks again!

David said:
Thanks all who reply!!!

Hmm, now I vaguely remember seeing the balls to elevate the laptop... where can I buy it? think I prefer this method.

They are sold almost everywhere (and it's only one brand it seems). I bought mine at the post office when it was still nearby.

David said:
Thanks all who reply!!!

I saw some shops at SLS selling them.

SPEED BALLS ... no need spend so much on those frenzy heavy stuff just 2 half ball :embrass: and it works like magic for alot of us ;)

Oh btw challanger is selling them also just mention speed ball think its below $12

Status
Not open for further replies.