Anyone using Aperture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giraffed

Apr 16, 2004
Anyone using or have tried Aperture? I'm wondering how is it compared to Adobe Photoshop. Are the features similar, is it user friendly... is it easy to manage photos? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks! :)

Anyone using or have tried Aperture? I'm wondering how is it compared to Adobe Photoshop. Are the features similar, is it user friendly... is it easy to manage photos? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks! :)

it is quite a good software to me

I'm using Aperture.

It would be more appropriate to compare it with Adobe Lightroom as both are all-in-one post-production applications for photographers. Photoshop will be used for more complex digital manipulation of images.

User-friendliness is a relative term. That being said, it may take some time for a new user to fully appreciate Aperture's approach to managing photos.

Cheers,

Justin

I'm using Aperture.

It would be more appropriate to compare it with Adobe Lightroom as both are all-in-one post-production applications for photographers. Photoshop will be used for more complex digital manipulation of images.

User-friendliness is a relative term. That being said, it may take some time for a new user to fully appreciate Aperture's approach to managing photos.

Cheers,

Justin

second that

second that

i see aperture n LR as very quick ways to handle large volumes of photos and make some minor changes to the exposure/ curves etc.. simple cropping.. but then for more complex stuff, applying filters etc...still have to go back to photoshop

Like for me, i dun like to do much PS..hence most of the time i just adjust using LR and outpur the jpgs liaoz

using both LR and PS.....

aperture... well... no comments...

its an apple softare thou.. :embrass:

aperture's interface is nice... but it's quite different..
it runs best on a dual screen setup though..

There are similarities between the Aperture and LR interface - project panels to the left and adjustments to the right. Both can easily be hidden and retrieved, and both have full-screen modes.

More important to note would be the workflow. LR has a structured approach, i.e., modules where specific tasks are performed, e.g., image organization in the Library module, image adjustments in the Develop module, etc. Aperture has a non-structured approach which allows image adjustments to be performed at any point in the workflow.

It's not a question of what approach is better. It's what you're more comfortable with.

As far as I know, Lightroom doesn't support multiple displays.

if you are into mac most likely you will be accustommed to what aperture offered but if you are into pc LR is one and the only thing you can say is good as a digital darkroom.

in terms of performance, w 2 identically spec-ed system running aperture and LR, LR will respond faster. interface i prefer LR.

It's more photographer friendly as to photoshop which is more geared towards graphic artists. :)

Sharing something I received from a friend...

---

A Long List Of Aperture's Advantages Over Lightroom

• Flexible Workflow - (Note: When inspiration strikes at any time, you can immediately implement it anywhere you are in Aperture. Lightroom, on the other hand, follows the structured approach of 5 modules - Library, Develop, Print, Slideshow and Web. Tools and operations are limited to particular modules only. Even changing views within a module can pull you out of what you were working on.)

• Project Pane - (Note: Better options for importing and storing photos, and its project structure is better tuned than Lightroom’s collections-based and folder-based approach.)

• Automated Back-up with Vault Feature - (Note: There is no automatic back-up feature in Lightroom that is equivalent to the function that the Vault performs.)

• Smart Albums & Smart Web Galleries (Automatic Update Based On Criteria) - (Note: In Lightroom’s Collections, you cannot manipulate and create stacks. Although you can create sub-collections, to group together images, you have to create and update these groupings manually. There is no automatic functionality of smart albums and smart galleries. You cannot also save web or slide-show settings in Collections.)

• Loop Anywhere & Everywhere - (Note: View any image in the loop, whether in the Viewer Pane or Browser Pane for instant comparison. This is extremely hepful when you’re looking at a group of images and want to focus on special detail without having to zoom in and pan around. Not possible with Lightroom.)

• Multiple Display Support - (Note: If you are using dual or more than 2 displays, Lighroom cannot project a separate image into the other displays.)

• Light Table - (Note: Aperture offers a free-form environment. Move the images, group them together, slide them around, resize the images, rearrange images. No equivalent in Lightroom.)

• Search Feature - (Note: More helpful as the library of images grow. It lets you search based on multiple criteria, and it can create albums and galleries from your search results so you don’t have to perform the same searches again.)

• List View - (Note: Offers a different way of “looking” into your photo collection. You can show or hide data columns/information and sort on a column by clicking its title. Can’t be done in Lightroom.)

• Stacks - (Note: Aperture’s stacking features and functions are more robust and flexible than Lightroom. You can designate different images in a stack as the pick in different albums. In Lightroom, you can’t create stacks when looking at images in a collection or when you’re filtering by keywords.)

• HUDs (Heads-up Displays) - (Note: Editing tools appear in translucent floating windows so you can eliminate the panes and maximize your image-viewing real estate. Not possible in Lightroom.)

• Create & Save Editing Pre-Sets - (Note: Aperture’s method of single-adjustment pre-sets is cleaner and more practical, instead of Lightroom’s group of adjustments pre-sets. In Aperture, you can choose to apply the pre-sets individually.)

• Tight Integration With iMovie HD and iDVD - (Note: Library and Projects appear automatically in these programs, among other programs, so you can take advantage of movie-editing and DVD-creation tools to create stunning slideshows that you can export to multiple formats.)

• On-Screen Proofing - (Note: You can do on-screen proofing right inside Aperture - and it is available throughout the application so you can see how your output to different media will look like. Not possible in Lightroom.)

• Book Mode - (Note: You can design and publish books, have them printed, to showcase your work. Lightroom doesn’t have an option to create and output in Book layout.)

• Automator Actions - (Note: Extend the functionality of Aperture by applying automator actions that can automate repetitive tasks or processes. No such thing in Lightroom.)

• 3rd-Party Export Plug-in Architecture - (Note: More functionality is made available to Aperture by allowing it to interact directly with and output directly to 3rd-party websites such as stock photo agencies, commercial printing services, and even photo-sharing sites such as Flickr. More and more plug-ins are being developed. Nothing like this in Lightroom.)

• Web Output - (Note: Every Aperture project can have multiple web galleries or web journals (two types of templates in Aperture while Lightroom only has 1 type of web template), each with a unique identity. Aperture lets you save a Web-specific albums as part of a project, with its own settings. Lightroom doesn’t save any Web-specificd information with its collections or sub-collections. And, returning to a Web project in Aperture to add new photos or alter settings is quick and easy. No need to rebuild the gallery like in Lightroom.)

Verdict: Aperture is the more mature product with features and functions designed clearly to address the most important needs of the photographers. But this does not mean to say that Lightroom is shoddy. It has a lot of feature-for-feature competitiveness.

---

Great advice. Thanks to all! :)

Is aperture able to perform HDR merging/conversion?

TIA! :)

Has anyone used/compared Adobe Camera RAW and Aperture back-to-back?

Aperture is more of a modern digital darkroom for you to arrange and classify all your pictures in a single database and fine tuning any pictures. While photoshop is more of a professional image editor not only in fine tuning but to create sophisicated effects that you may be able to see in some wedding pictures. But pls note that aperture is only for mac users and not for pc users.

I am. And the flexibility it offers (for workflow) is to me the greatest draw.

I am. And the flexibility it offers (for workflow) is to me the greatest draw.

Care to further elaborate? I find ACR a little clunky, and may be considering trying/purchasing Aperture.

ive used both. i much prefer LR for workflow, ease of use and most importantly, its not a resource hog like aperture is, nor as demanding for a good system.

Status
Not open for further replies.