Anyone using a UPS at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbes234

Oct 6, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
This is my second power supply failure. ;( The POST test shows a continious beeping sound.
I just changed a new power supply bout 2 weeks back. :bheart:

I always leave my power supply on (switch of PC)
wondering if its a power surge that is always causing the problem.

Should i get a UPS? :dunno:

replies appreciated

I doubt a UPS will help your situation because the ac power supply in SG is pretty stable, compared to other parts of the world where brownouts are common.
There was one time when I powered on my home PC 7x24hrs continuously for more than one year and no problem.
What motherboard/peripherals and power supply brand/model/wattage are you using ? Are you overloading the power supply or something ?

HI arpinkor

the following is my rig's spec
Cooler master 430W PS
ASUS P4PE2 EX MB
1X CD Burner
1X DVD Burner
1X HDD
CRT

connected to the same power supply souce
Speaker + woofer
Printer (but not switched on)
Portable HDD (but not switched on)
Table Lamp (but not switched on)

POST test shows continious beeping sound. ==> power supply or MB
I changed my MB 6 mths back with the new PS.

the one that failed is a second PS

quite frustrating... thinking of changing a new rig.
maybe a mac... ;p

yes a UPS will help a lot.

arpinkor is right that we do not have as much blackout, HOWEVER power spike are frequent and can damage your power supply.

on my side my 3 instances of power voltages spikes that kill the PSU.

This is my second power supply failure. ;( The POST test shows a continious beeping sound.

replies appreciated

If you suspect the cause is power surge, then UPS will help.
But if it is a power supply failure, I doubt you will be able to power on your system.
If the system is able to do a POST test, it could be other hardware fault.
Is it the same symptom as your first power supply failure?

Thanks guys.

The symptoms are the same.
But the problem was solved after i changed the power supply.

Zekai,
u using a UPS too?
any recommendations for brands and specs?

UPS is not cheap. If you suspect power spike, you can buy one of those power strips with surge suppressor built-in.

Those desktop UPS from APC are really cheap...hundred plus if I am not mistaken, can get from SLS :thumbsup:

A UPS not only can clean up the electricity quality, it can also act as a standby power, things like the recent NE blackout can happen....well...although in SG generally electricity supply is quite stable....for some reason I seen some home have quite freqent blackout due to power breaker trip....all this can seriously shortern your electric appliance life span :dunno:

I have 2 UPS, one for my rig, another for my general rig in the living room.

SG may not have brownouts, but I have noticed that sometimes faulty equipment at home also trip the power. I was at home one day and power goes out. I discovered my domestic help was using the iron. After a few tests, I found it to be faulty, tripping the power every now and then.

Of course, she did not think much about it, she just turn the power back on and carried on to use it. Since then, I have discovered than my 5yr washing machine, and my 7 year old refrigator also trips my power every now and then. The serviceman's answer is always "old sure hv problems one, but can use la" or "Buy new one la"

So, I bought 1 x Alberex 1100L and 1x D-Link 600 UPS, cheaper then buying 1x washing machine, 1x refrigator, and repairing 2 computer.:embrass:

replies appreciated

i got UPS at home, anyway its UPS does not mean PS will not spoil lor... if PS is cheapo low quality 1, then its wear & tear...

UPS does help to stabilize the voltage. If you get one of those UPS where you can monitor the actual voltage coming in you will be surprise how much fluctuation there are.

Like other had said, UPS does help as well when there is a power trip within your house due to other electrical appliance and for my case lightning as well. :)

actually my UPS is for shutting down my system just in case. i bought 1 that link usb to the UPS. so if there is a power failure when i am not home, after 10 mins it will shut down my system to prevent sudden shutdown and cause error later on.

hmm... it seems that there are more ppl using UPS than i thought so...
i always thought that it was for those business ppl which use them.

ok guys.. what are the brands that u guys are using and how much u paid for them?

actually my UPS is for shutting down my system just in case. i bought 1 that link usb to the UPS. so if there is a power failure when i am not home, after 10 mins it will shut down my system to prevent sudden shutdown and cause error later on.

i got UPS at home, anyway its UPS does not mean PS will not spoil lor... if PS is cheapo low quality 1, then its wear & tear...

Del_CtrlnoAlt,
The one that u have seems interesting. BTW, i think cooler master should be quite reliable rite... its not like some elcheapo brand rite...

So, I bought 1 x Alberex 1100L and 1x D-Link 600 UPS, cheaper then buying 1x washing machine, 1x refrigator, and repairing 2 computer.:embrass:

whoa caspere...:confused: wat if it was ur new 42" plasma that was causing all the trips :bigeyes: ?

meantime i think i will shop for a UPS. buying a new rig is expensive... maybe a new power supply, new HDD and a UPS. :cry:
gotta be saving for the 300 2.8.. :lovegrin:

BTW, I should be able to claim warranty for the PS rite?

Do you need an UPS or just a backup battery? A UPS is a pretty intelligent device that can be configured to shutdown your computer automatically a few minutes before it runs out of juice. A backup battery will prevent you from losing data and protect your equiment but will require you to shut down the system manually, otherwise... :sweat:

APC is a pretty good and reliable brand. You can get a 500VA UPS for around SG$110. An APC backup battery, 500VA, non-intelligent, costs about SG$70. Either of these will backup a Pentium 4 and monitor for around 10 minutes.

_

Thanks guys... :thumbsup: will probably stop over at sim lim and check out the APC UPS.

I think i feel safer with one that shuts down the computer automatically...
;p

APC is indeed a well-know brand. :thumbsup:

Both my Alberex and D-Link is UPS, connect the RS232 cable to the computer, install the software. Once power failure occurs, it can shut down safely for u, depending on your settings. Alberex bought at PC Show in March, D-Link in Aug, so far both worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.