Anyone using 350d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photonuts

Sep 1, 2006
hi all...a super newbie to slr camera. just bought a canon 350d with standard lens kit. any similar model user willing to share their experience? i believe non-350d user will be able to advise too since the setting are more or less same...i may be wrong...but i zero knowledge now haha...

thanks for reply and advice in advance

cheers

er...dun understand what you typing leh...

whoops really ah...paisay...simple terms...how to use the camera the different features.

welcome to the world of DSLR! i'm personally a 350d user... :)

yeah..have been reading the manual...but since i am a amateur...some terms may not understand what the purpose is for....thought of attending the canon basic course dunno if its worth it... anyway if any of u can share thru msn messenger..my is sclau_@hotmail.com

thanks alot...need lots of guidance.

i m also thinkin of gettin the 350D since i cant "tahan" the long wait for the 400D ;p

Photonuts said:
yeah..have been reading the manual...but since i am a amateur...some terms may not understand what the purpose is for....thought of attending the canon basic course dunno if its worth it... anyway if any of u can share thru msn messenger..my is sclau_@hotmail.com

hi photonuts,

have fun with the camera, i think it is better to go out shooting, and when you have problem, post it up here to ask for advice. The way you ask is too general, need to be more specific.

the canon basic course is a good way to start, also lots of info on clubsnap, read up from magazine regarding the basic principles of photography, shutter, aperture, iso, composition and exposure.

enjoy your camera!

you can check out the tutorial at canon.com, the enjoy DSLR flash tutorial. really very useful!

welcome..

I am using 350D, and are very happy with it.

See what you would like to shoot.

I like shoot all kind from landscape to events.
See what kind of other equipment that you may need then base on your likes, extra lens, battery packs, external flash.

Read the manual, its informative n kick start you on the route to using SLR.

Have fun. PM if you have doubts on some of the 350D functions after starting on it.

I also got the 350D for 10 days only. After spending 2 days going through the menu, I also find it a bit difficult to remember all the features. As I have 3 different Canon IXUS models but first time for a DSLR. However, I went to Botanic Garden twice and Raffles places once. Shot about 1,000 photos so far and I think I am getting a hang of it. Sure as a newbie, there is no way I can compare my picutres with all the nice shoot I get to see from fellow ClubSNAP Pros. but at least I managed to try out most of the combinations including the B/W Parameter, with the different setting of Filter & Color toning. Practice makes perfect. And really happy with the 350D, but yes, the 70-300 mm F4-5.6 is fun to play with besides the standard kit lens. Sure I am looking forward to join the L lens league soon.

Matrix97 said:
I also got the 350D for 10 days only. After spending 2 days going through the menu, I also find it a bit difficult to remember all the features. As I have 3 different Canon IXUS models but first time for a DSLR. However, I went to Botanic Garden twice and Raffles places once. Shot about 1,000 photos so far and I think I am getting a hang of it. Sure as a newbie, there is no way I can compare my picutres with all the nice shoot I get to see from fellow ClubSNAP Pros. but at least I managed to try out most of the combinations including the B/W Parameter, with the different setting of Filter & Color toning. Practice makes perfect. And really happy with the 350D, but yes, the 70-300 mm F4-5.6 is fun to play with besides the standard kit lens. Sure I am looking forward to join the L lens league soon.

welcome 2.
Looking at your arsenal, maybe you would like to get a walkabout lens.
cover from some wide 17mm/28mm to reasonable zoom of 70-135mm.
Try shoot in raw, then use software to do the filter change.

bwilly said:
welcome 2.
Looking at your arsenal, maybe you would like to get a walkabout lens.
cover from some wide 17mm/28mm to reasonable zoom of 70-135mm.
Try shoot in raw, then use software to do the filter change.

Thx mate, going to Cathy to look for a backpack first, will need a couple
of months time before getting a new lens. I do intend to do a fair amount
of outdoor landscape shoot in HK, Malaysia, and China. Would you suggest
to get a smaller size that is handy or got a more heavy duty one that can
have all the spare room for rain coats, jackets and even lunch box!!!
I checked out in Allan, Sim Lim for smaller size Lowepro is $65 but the
bigger size cost about $130. So still not sure what to get :think:

350D user reporting in. :)

This camera is certainly capable of taking good pics. ;)

Feel free to post terms that you find it hard to understand. It's good to be specific as your initial question is too general, difficult to answer.

Photonuts said:

u should get a reasonable sized bag that allows u to move around comfortably.

I have two bags.

one small one that allow me one DSLR, one extra mid size lens or external flash. spare room for batteries n memory cards.

Another bigger bag that can contain one DSLR, two long lens, if not one long lens, one external flash with a small lens, like 50mm.
Mine is lowepro for both. Opt for the size that allows you for everything you need in your arsenal. eg. if you going to get a 18-200mm lens, then opt for bag with one DSLR, one extra lens will do.

Look at your current lens, bag with one DSLR, two extra lens will be good enough. Forget about storing other stuffs together with your precious. Spill n stuffs may makes you regret.

I also got the 350D for 10 days only. After spending 2 days going through the menu, I also find it a bit difficult to remember all the features...

Welcome... for all dslr including 350D, there are a few basic modes:

1) Full auto mode - all settings are base on the camera's micro-p intelligence. IMO, should try to avoid this mode... after all one main reason to use dslr is to play with the various setting to get better results.

2) Various auto mode (i.e. landscape, night scene, portraits, macro, etc) - same as full auto mode except you tell the camera what type of picture you want to take or what condition you are in.

3) Shutter priority (Tv) - this mode is used when you want to control how fast the lens open and close. Fast shutter speed is used when you want to freeze moving objects while slow shutter speed allows you to deliberately blur certain object (e.g. water-fall) while the surrounding stationary object is still sharp (tripod needed).

Note: For this mode, the camera will decide for you how big is the aperture opening in order to get the correct exposure.

4) Aperture priority (Av) - this mode is used when you want to control how big the lens open (aperture size). Big aperture opening (small F number) will allow only certain area of the picture in focus while the background out of focus. For 350D kit lens, try to use F8 - F10 to get a sharp picture.

Note: For this mode, the camera will decide for you how fast is the shutter speed in order to get the correct exposure.

5) Manual Mode - You have total control over the shutter speed and aperture opening. When using this mode, you have to be extra careful with the exposure (too dark or too bright).

Enjoy shooting....

flightspeed said:
i m also thinkin of gettin the 350D since i cant "tahan" the long wait for the 400D ;p

Long wait? I thought the 400D is already in stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.