anyone uses nikkor 24mm f1.4 on a dx?

xiaohou

Aug 5, 2009
hihi

just wondering if anyone uses this lens on a dx body. mind to share your experiences with this combo and some of your pics? thx thx

24mm fits to around 35mm on a dx, which is just nice as a wide angle prime.

was contemplating on a 24mm, but the 1.4 price point too high to reach. u can check out the sigma 24mm f1.8 macro which i'm eyeing too. haha.

you'll probably loose a lot of the bokeh magic because of the crop... id rather you get the 35mm

technoglitz87 is right. Sigma 24mm F1.8 will be good enough for hobbyist. Additional macro function comes in handy at times. But auto focus is noisy and slight slower than the 24mm F1.4. You can get it from DD at a pretty good price but make sure you get one without front or back focusing problem. If you have the money to spend, the nikon 24mm F1.4G will never go wrong :)

@technoglitz87: ya I know the price is steep, more than 3x sigma's price... But is sigma usable and fast in low light condition? Is aperture 1.8 useable at all or soft?
@njchay: where is DD? Have u use one before? The main reasons am looking at nikon 24 are for the focal length and it's ability in low light condition.

might as well buy a fujifilm x100 to complement ur set up
x100 + a DX+50mm f1.4

just a idea haha much cheaper than lens as well

DD Electronics. They are selling Grey Set but they do provide in house warranty. Do you do a search online. Quite a numbers of reviews on Sigma 24mm F1.8

@technoglitz87: ya I know the price is steep, more than 3x sigma's price... But is sigma usable and fast in low light condition? Is aperture 1.8 useable at all or soft?
@njchay: where is DD? Have u use one before? The main reasons am looking at nikon 24 are for the focal length and it's ability in low light condition.

See the pics below. Sharp enough or not? Usable or not? You have to decide for yourself.

Sigma at F1.8 on a DX camera.

5598762339_126b7799a8_z.jpg

Focus at the X
4970903494_cf2016f845_z.jpg

Low indoor light. focus on "18"
5014767787_b4f30ba359_z.jpg

Shot at F2
5598762573_93b154949c_z.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your inputs. thankyou daredevil for sharing those pics... it is good enough for my usage.. will look into this sigma lense...

xiaohou said:
Thanks everyone for your inputs. thankyou daredevil for sharing those pics... it is good enough for my usage.. will look into this sigma lense...

Do note that I experience a slight focus shift between focusing at close distances and far distance on crop cam. No problems on FF body.

if you are a dx user i would totally recommend the 35mm 1.8. got mine a few months back here.