Apr 5, 2006
Bukit Panjang
Would like some feedback on this lens.

Carl Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 ZF Planar T*

Care to share your experience?

i've tried it when one of my shooting kakis bought the it when it first landed in SG. IMO, the best prime lens money can buy on the mkt today, and beats the pants off the nikon 85/1.4 in terms of sharpness and colour reproduction. only thing it 'loses' to nikon is no AF. ;)

Ur shooting kakis a CSer?:think:

I couldnt find much info regarding this lens. Looks like its just released not long ago.

nightwolf75, any samples from you?

Ur shooting kakis a CSer?:think:

I couldnt find much info regarding this lens. Looks like its just released not long ago.

nightwolf75, any samples from you?

yes. he's a CSer.

probably u can't find much abt this cos this is relatively a niche-market lens. have u googled overseas' sites?

samples? i tried it out on a shoot last yr with my fren on his d2x. we compared his CZ with my nikon. dats how we found out the difference in quality, all things being equaled. guess the samples are all with him... u have to wait for the others to show u samples. i'm sure there are others who have been bitten by the CZ bug... :bsmilie:

What camera are you using? You may want to note that this lens does not provide metering with some bodies (D40, D50, D70s, D80, etc.)

BC

Thanks for the links.

In the 1st place, I dont quite understand why Zeiss made it a manual lens... :sweat:

Tried it on a D200 before. Great lens that's really sharp and resolves very well. Lovely, creamy smooth bokeh, and wonderfully vivid colours. Build-quality is excellent.

The only minus point, if you can call it a minus point, is that it's a manual lens, but it's pretty easy to focus as it's chipped (meaning you'll get focus confirmation dot).

Lens is available at John 3:16 at Funan Centre. Last time I checked it was going for S$1900. In Hong Kong, it is selling at HKD8500. Roughly S$1600.

Thanks for the links.

In the 1st place, I dont quite understand why Zeiss made it a manual lens... :sweat:

Because an agreement with Nikon doesn't allow them to make AF lenses. The ZF is the only 3rd party lens that is endorsed by Nikon because Nikon stopped production of it's manual lenses.

Tried it on a D200 before. Great lens that's really sharp and resolves very well. Lovely, creamy smooth bokeh, and wonderfully vivid colours. Build-quality is excellent.

The only minus point, if you can call it a minus point, is that it's a manual lens, but it's pretty easy to focus as it's chipped (meaning you'll get focus confirmation dot).

Eh.. non-chipped AiS lenses will also give the AF confirmation dot. ;p Chipped lenses will just allow the lens to be used with P and S modes.

Because an agreement with Nikon doesn't allow them to make AF lenses. The ZF is the only 3rd party lens that is endorsed by Nikon because Nikon stopped production of it's manual lenses.

if zeiss made AF lenses, i think they will take a good bite outta the nikon market of nikkors

:cry: All I am asking for is that they build AI-P lenses instead...

BC

That means upcoming ZF zeiss lens are gonna be MF?:cry:

The 'confirmation dot' is termed as???

It looks like an indirect AF on a MF lens. Its a 1.4, isnt the focus gonna be razor thin... How does the confirmation dot really work?
btw, ZA and ZF 85mm are the same quality copy?

if zeiss made AF lenses, i think they will take a good bite outta the nikon market of nikkors

If you have tried the ZF lens, you will get rid of your Nikon; I have. Its quality is just beyond reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.