Anyone used FZ-20 to take wedding photo before ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
k3nn3th03 said:
even in BRIGHT day with sun above also need flash ??

dependz. if ur subject is backlit, u'll hav 2 use flash unless u 1 pics in silhouette. sometimes even de pop-up flash is oso not powerful enough if contrast is too wide...

Hi k3nn3th03,

I used my FZ-20 as a wedding camera a couple of times already - twice for two of my good friends' ROM and the other one was during my own banquet wedding (from morning to night).

One of my friend's ROM is at ROM while the other was during the evening at Raffles hotel (outdoors). That was challenging as the fading light and outdoor setting was really nerve-wrecking.

One thing to note is that you will definately need an external flash. Be it indoor or outdoor just keep your flash attached coz you never know when you'll need it. Make sure to adjust the flash for the intended angle. Sometimes, when there is nothing to bounce off the light, a diffuser and flash at 90 deg would help. I tried the burst mode with flash and found that usually 1 out of 3, the flash does not fire. Maybe the cycle of my flash not fast enuff.

The other thing to watch out for is the auto focus and the zoom. Hence, lately I tried leaving it at continuous auto focus (at either spot or that square point). This helps marginally though. So the key is try to pre-empt where they would be and what they would be doing next. Yet, this requires some experience. Unfortunately, i'm still not good at it. :p

As for zoom... this is the main plus point for the much hyped FZ-30. In my FZ-20, zooming in can be slow. And that fleeting moment is... well, fleeting. Especially when the bride and groom are shy people and just peck lightly instead of the full french kissing... haha :)

Lastly, for banquet dinners, white balance is a nightmare so do settle this before the event starts. There should be some respite time before they event starts so that you can manually custom set the white balance. Usually this should be accompanied by your external flash and set it to flash white balance. My preference is to set the white balance a bit more on the red scale. DUnno, just a personal preference. Really much prefer the skin tones to be more pinkish red than pale whitish (sometimes only).

Hope my rambling helps. And have a good one during your friend's wedding!

sunslinger

sunslinger said:
Hi k3nn3th03,

I used my FZ-20 as a wedding camera a couple of times already - twice for two of my good friends' ROM and the other one was during my own banquet wedding (from morning to night).

One of my friend's ROM is at ROM while the other was during the evening at Raffles hotel (outdoors). That was challenging as the fading light and outdoor setting was really nerve-wrecking.

One thing to note is that you will definately need an external flash. Be it indoor or outdoor just keep your flash attached coz you never know when you'll need it. Make sure to adjust the flash for the intended angle. Sometimes, when there is nothing to bounce off the light, a diffuser and flash at 90 deg would help. I tried the burst mode with flash and found that usually 1 out of 3, the flash does not fire. Maybe the cycle of my flash not fast enuff.

The other thing to watch out for is the auto focus and the zoom. Hence, lately I tried leaving it at continuous auto focus (at either spot or that square point). This helps marginally though. So the key is try to pre-empt where they would be and what they would be doing next. Yet, this requires some experience. Unfortunately, i'm still not good at it. :p

As for zoom... this is the main plus point for the much hyped FZ-30. In my FZ-20, zooming in can be slow. And that fleeting moment is... well, fleeting. Especially when the bride and groom are shy people and just peck lightly instead of the full french kissing... haha :)

Lastly, for banquet dinners, white balance is a nightmare so do settle this before the event starts. There should be some respite time before they event starts so that you can manually custom set the white balance. Usually this should be accompanied by your external flash and set it to flash white balance. My preference is to set the white balance a bit more on the red scale. DUnno, just a personal preference. Really much prefer the skin tones to be more pinkish red than pale whitish (sometimes only).

sunslinger
good advice!

:bsmilie:
sunslinger said:
Hi k3nn3th03,

sunslinger

wa.. steady..

good advise... will print out and keep in pocket.. :bsmilie:

mine is held in church.. their theme color is either white, light gold or light yellow..

hmmm... read somewhere, someone doing FOC ROM... maybe i should find him and do it together...

thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.