Anyone used devices like this one?

Alan Chan

Dec 13, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
DigiMatev.jpg

Digimate V Photobank

I just came across such device today and am curious on how useful it is, especially on a mid to long trip.

i have a hyperdriver : colorshace. It using a 160G IDE harddisk and able to read,write,copy and delete almost any form of media card.

http://www.memoryworld.com.sg//index.php?option=com_products&task=details&pid=240

but if you asking me did i ever bring to oversea, the answer is no. I prefer bring extra memory card, cos it lite and small and with now a days the size so big, i usually did not finish using all the cards' space when trip end.

Well.. I think nowadays the purpose of such device is not just for clearing up space on your memory card but also to keep a backup copy of the photos captured during a trip or event. Imagine if you come back to find that your memory card has some problem and the precious pictures taken goes down the drain. It could be a once in a lifetime trip and might not have chance to go back to the same place again.

For me, I've always traveled with my laptop so I backup my pictures whenever I return to the hotel. Such device would be a lot lighter than carrying a laptop. I'm also seriously considering one such device in the near future. Either this or a netbook..;)

I'm used to bring my trusty laptop if I am traveling with my camera.

On a mid to long trip, yes very useful if you don't particularly like to bring along a notebook. You can just offload your pictures to the device during your shooting break, don't even need to wait to wait till the end of the day to get back to your hotel or lodging.

HTH.

Cheers!

it all depends if you are bringing a laptop on the trip or very confident the memory cards will not develop problems.

I will not bring neither both. First for the reason "spoil while transportation" , next will be "missing item". Bring more memory card, which is cheaper now a days and they are consider much stable. Hardly any screw up for me. I usually will spread my pics to many cards rather then place it in a single card. but of course, tats my way. :p

For the price of the Epson PSD, I think I can get a Sony Vaio Netbook if I just add a bit more.

Last edited:
OT abit here, who interested in a hyperdriver: colorspace? I might consider letting go my one. Wooohooo ... for it, its started to become a white elephant lao. Seldom use it. lol

DigiMatev.jpg

Digimate V Photobank

I just came across such device today and am curious on how useful it is, especially on a mid to long trip.

i have a vosonic that i use out of the random fear that i might lose my equipment while out and about. so the vosonic stays back in lodging area, while i go around and shoot, at night i will transfer the files to the device, and it stays back in the hotel/hostel.

also useful to look at files at night on something larger than a lcd screen if you are *that* bored. i also use it to hold random videos just in case there is no tv back at lodging place; or if there is tv the programmes are horrible. can pass the time.. :)

of course my vosonic is slightly different from the device you have, it has a screen, so it can double up as a media player.

i have to agree with most of the replies that a netbook is going to be more popular than such devices in the near future.

firstly, pricewise, netbook is going to be on par or just $100 or so more at best. functionality and entertainment potential wise, netbook will beat the crap out of a portable media device.

the only sacrifice is portability and weight, but i think that's not much of an issue.

And for those pple where money is not an issue.. there is the iPad.. :bsmilie:

Not familiar with that device but if it has a USB port, chances are just couple with a card reader and it's good to go.

i have to agree with most of the replies that a netbook is going to be more popular than such devices in the near future.

And for those pple where money is not an issue.. there is the iPad.. :bsmilie:

Not familiar with that device but if it has a USB port, chances are just couple with a card reader and it's good to go.

well, i guess it's fine with my style of shooting, i hardly even fill up a 4 gb card for 9 days of travel.. and that includes personal shots.

so 16gb, 64gb will be good to go...

for those who take a lot of shots though, that might be a problem...... :bsmilie: after all, netbooks come with 120gb hard drive, that's twice of the largest capacity ipad.

i bring along my laptop too for trips to backup at the end of eveyday. was considering a netbook too, but if such device could save me more than $200 and more space without the need of OS booting up, not to mention using AA battery, i would consider it. but this is new to me so asking the experience of bro who used them before.