Anyone used a Tokina 11-16 for IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DellSuperman

Oct 27, 2009
Ang Mo Kio
Hi,

Anyone has any experience with the above mentioned lens on IR photography?
Does this lens have any hot-spots?

Thanks..

Hi,

Anyone has any experience with the above mentioned lens on IR photography?
Does this lens have any hot-spots?

Thanks..

Have not used the Tokina 11-16. But love the Tokina 10-17, so far have not experienced any hot spots with this lens.

DSC_0076-1800.jpg

DSC_0094-1.jpg

I have used Tokina 11-16 on many occasions. It produces some sort of hot spots but with some careful handling on the aperture you can have a nice wide angle IR ;)

3818295270_48eaef1e2e.jpg

3817488053_96668195a2.jpg

Aww, dammit.. I was considering to buy that lens for my landscaping & IR photography.
Thanks everyone for your advises..!

Aww, dammit.. I was considering to buy that lens for my landscaping & IR photography.
Thanks everyone for your advises..!

Dude, for landscapes Tokina is one awesome choice. As I said earlier, with apertures around 4 to 5.6 you can control some sort of these hot spots in this Tokina. If you see my picture posted above, it is still in a controllable level though I won't say it as the best.

Geekbrains,
Aperture @ 4 - 5.6 will make the photos a little too shallow, won't it?

teerex,
I believe the tokina 10-17 is a fisheye zoom lens right?

Have not used the Tokina 11-16. But love the Tokina 10-17, so far have not experienced any hot spots with this lens.

DSC_0076-1800.jpg

This one looks awesome Teerex ;)

Thanks. I like that shot too, tend to give me the feel of the Long Arms Of The Law.

teerex,

Yes, it's a FE zoom. I usually shoot at f/8, good enough DOF for me.

Last edited:
Geekbrains,
Aperture @ 4 - 5.6 will make the photos a little too shallow, won't it?

teerex,

Not really dude, it depends on your focus distance as well. Typically IR people shoot at F8 or F9 because their body may not be calibrated for all their lenses and shooting wide open can show the off focus in the picture. This can be avoided by shooting at low apertures as F8 or F9 but this poses the risk of having a hot spot. You need to be careful in selecting your lens as well..It's a lot of trial and error though..

Tokina 11-16 is very good for landscape but the hotspots makes it not really suitable for IR.
Nikkor 12-24 will be a better choice... but the price :(

Thanks for the webby, night86mare.
Now i am more confused than ever.. LOL..

Tokina 11-16 is very good for landscape but the hotspots makes it not really suitable for IR.
Nikkor 12-24 will be a better choice... but the price :(

Hi Bro, It's not that hard to control the hotspot on Tokina..You can see my pics above in the earlier post which were taken with D100 (IR ELP) + Tokina 11-16mm shot wide open at F2.8

The website from SportsPhotoGuy mentioned that there is no hot-spot.
And GeekBrain, when taking landscape photos with F2.8, isn't the DOF a bit too shallow? Most of the things will be pretty blurred.

The website from SportsPhotoGuy mentioned that there is no hot-spot.
And GeekBrain, when taking landscape photos with F2.8, isn't the DOF a bit too shallow? Most of the things will be pretty blurred.

Dude, The DOF is determined by the subject distance and various other factors. Wikipedia has a very good explanation on this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

Also check out these two links..
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=depth+of+field
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

Last edited:
Yes, that is what i meant when i said it will be too shallow.
When taking landscape photos, i would prefer to use a aperature of f8 or more to capture more details with a greater dept.

It also depends on your subject distance too. You can see that all my pics above are shot at F2.8 wide open and the subject is still sharp.

I always used to think that hotspot is a function of the lens, not of the camera. Its surprising that same lens gives hotspots with some cams, yet no hotspot with others.
Now the question is, whether the 11-16 will give hotspot with 350D. If I can use F4/F5.6 etc., without hotspotting, then its good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.