Anyone use 18-200mm for Zoo photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark

Sep 25, 2003
West
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I hope to get some feedback from members who use the 18-200mm for zoo.
It will be good if you could share some of your Zoo picture taken from a 18-200mm len.

Thanks.....

Hi Guys,

It will be good if you could share some of your Aoo picture taken from a 18-200mm len.

Thanks.....

Sorry, don't get what you want to know. Do you want to know if the focal length long enough, or the lense sharpness or are you able to handhold it etc etc. Please be more specific. Depending on what you like to shoot, any lense is useable.

BTW, which brand are you refering to??

only good for shooting big animals. if you want close-up of the face etc, or to fill the frame with a smaller animal, 300mm might be a better range.

only good for shooting big animals. if you want close-up of the face etc, or to fill the frame with a smaller animal, 300mm might be a better range.

Thanks for the reply. Will maybe go for the 70-300 range. Is F4-5.6 bright enough?

Sorry, don't get what you want to know. Do you want to know if the focal length long enough, or the lense sharpness or are you able to handhold it etc etc. Please be more specific. Depending on what you like to shoot, any lense is useable.

BTW, which brand are you refering to??

Sorry. I mean the focal length.

Hi Guys,

It will be good if you could share some of your Zoo picture taken from a 18-200mm len.

Thanks.....

Nikon D200 + 18-200...

refletsSmall.JPG
[/IMG]
lion2Small.JPG
[/IMG]
araSmall.JPG
[/IMG]

I dont feel impressed by the big gears, i even shoot with a kit lens of D80, animals like it ;)

Hi Guys,

Thanks.....

This picture was made last week with the D80-Kit lens ( 18-135) !.....

leopsMALL.JPG

This one was taken with Sigma 70-300mm..

261482560_4ad12b934f_o.jpg

Check out my gallery

Thanks for all who have share their wonderful picture with me.

Hi Pal,

Are you using the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO? Apart from using it for Zoo photography. What other photography is it useful for?

Yes, I find it useful in portrait photography..I haven't tried to use it in sports but in fashion well, it is really a let down especially in focusing. On the brighter side this lens is a good one to have for a beginner like me..:)

Yes, I find it useful in portrait photography..I haven't tried to use it in sports but in fashion well, it is really a let down especially in focusing. On the brighter side this lens is a good one to have for a beginner like me..:)

Do you think having a larger aperture like the 70-200mm F/2.8 will help in the focusing?

Do you think having a larger aperture like the 70-200mm F/2.8 will help in the focusing?

i think so...f2.8 is a fast lens..if your talking of canon they have their ULTRASONIC motor (usm) and for Sigma they have HYPER SONIC MOTOR (HSM) which helps on focusing issue..:sweat:

i think so...f2.8 is a fast lens..if your talking of canon they have their ULTRASONIC motor (usm) and for Sigma they have HYPER SONIC MOTOR (HSM) which helps on focusing issue..:sweat:

But the price is so much more. :sweat: Think I will start with a 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO. :D

Hi Guys,

Thanks.....

If you don't have 18-200mm, then can consider buying one as a carry-around lens. There will be some problems at the extreme focal length though. If you want a better one, get 70-200mm f/2.8. You can use it for both portrait and animals. Its a very good investment. Only complaint is the weight. Remember, don't get 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 just to shoot animals, unless you're very sure you'll shoot them regularly (speaking from my experience). It may not be fast enough too at certain locations. Don't waste money.

But the price is so much more. :sweat: Think I will start with a 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO. :D
do bring a tripod or at least a monopod if you are using it to shoot in the zoo.

If you don't have 18-200mm, then can consider buying one as a carry-around lens. There will be some problems at the extreme focal length though. If you want a better one, get 70-200mm f/2.8. You can use it for both portrait and animals. Its a very good investment. Only complaint is the weight. Remember, don't get 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 just to shoot animals, unless you're very sure you'll shoot them regularly (speaking from my experience). It may not be fast enough too at certain locations. Don't waste money.

I agree it's a good investment but if u don't have budget then how? :dunno: I want to get a 70-200 f2.8 with IS of canon though but too expensive for me so maybe i will go for the sigma 70-200 f2.8 and hope someday I can earn on this hobby of ours so that I can buy a L-lens...;) just my thought...

Hi Pal,

Are you using the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO? Apart from using it for Zoo photography. What other photography is it useful for?

hi

may i know this is a crop pic or a frame pic? tks

Thanks for all the reply.

Like what sci80298 mentioned. Seriously, I don't think I will be shooting animal regularly. Probably will do more portrait, street shot and occasionally animal in the zoo. Maybe also my daughter annual concert.

Having a constant F/2.8 will be sweet.

Should I save more money for that :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.