anyone tried this macro set-up Ext tube + Raynox250 + Tamron 70-300mm tele/macro lens

Urfantasyguy

Nov 20, 2010
Does anyone tried this macro set-up Ext tube + Raynox250 + Tamron 70-300mm tele/macro lens?...what can you say about the performance and sharpness?

Planning to buy this Tamron 70-300mm telephoto/macro lens and wanted to use Extension Tube + raynox...dont know if will give me a good super close up macro shots.

The reason why I want to buy this lens so I won't use the macro function atleast I can use it on other purpose.

based from the Tamron 70-300 specs its 1:2 macro....is this better than 90mm 1:1 macro?

Hope to hear from you guys.

thanks.

Does anyone tried this macro set-up Ext tube + Raynox250 + Tamron 70-300mm tele/macro lens?...what can you say about the performance and sharpness?

Planning to buy this Tamron 70-300mm telephoto/macro lens and wanted to use Extension Tube + raynox...dont know if will give me a good super close up macro shots.

The reason why I want to buy this lens so I won't use the macro function atleast I can use it on other purpose.

based from the Tamron 70-300 specs its 1:2 macro....is this better than 90mm 1:1 macro?

Hope to hear from you guys.

thanks.

Have not tried out that setup but I think focusing might be an issue, just take note of your working distance.

The 70-300 is not a dedicated prime lens, it definitely cannot perform better than the tamron 90mm in terms of macro capabilities. 1:2 means that the subject will only appear as half its size on a 35mm sensor, 1:1 means that the subject will appear as life size on a 35mm sensor.

Also, sharpness wise, the 70-300mm is nowhere near that of the 90mm

If you buy a dedicated macro lens you can use it for other purposes too. Doesn't mean it's a macro lens can shoot macro only.

I personally have used my 100mm for portraits and other uses.

If the Tamron lens is without aperture ring, make sure the ext tube you get will support this.

However, don't expect good image quality from the Tamron slaps with the ext tube and Raynox 250. Primes like 50mm f/1.8 are still a better choice for this. Another thing to take note is, the working distance is quite restricted compares to true macro lens.

why not...

50mm with raynox 250

or

50mm with extension tube?

Its better for you to get a dedicated macro lens. The raynox can only do so much on top of your lens. Also, can you deal with the light cut off from the extension tubes?

If you find the 90mm too near for you then maybe you can consider the tamron 180 as well.

Please dont try extension tubes on the 50mm if you dont know what exactly it does. :sweat:

Also, your tele lens will only be better if it gives you 2:1, not 1:2. 1:1 is lifesize. Dont let the terms confuse you.

Last edited:
Sorry to ask!! Any idea how much a micro lens cost? For canon!!

bonrya said:
Please dont try extension tubes on the 50mm if you dont know what exactly it does. :sweat:

:bsmilie:

SimplyCinful said:
Sorry to ask!! Any idea how much a micro lens cost? For canon!!

Depends on which one you go for. It can be around $700 and it can also easily hit $3k.

Maybe you can try out the tamron 90mm or the canon 100mm non L version.