Anyone tried this 0.42x "screw-on fisheye" lens before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rOnGrEn

Jan 8, 2005
Hougang
hey guys... was looking around ebay when i came across this auction on 0.42x fisheye lens that screws onto the filter thread of 46/49 or 55mm lens for about $45USD. http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=7585845252

Would like to ask the following:
Anyone has one of this lens or a similar product?
Any feedback on this lens and will it really give the fisheye effect?
Lastly, are these lens available in local shops and where can i find one of these?

Thanx in advance!
Regards,
Rongren

oh btw.. i am using Konica Minolta 5D with kit lens and 50mm f1.7

Cheers,
Rongren

Screw on fish-eye is great if you are using digicam, not DSLR.

I was using it with my A2 with great result, but with 7D, the result is not very good (extremely soft on corner even stop down to f8 or more), mainly because the resolving power from the sensor.

Maybe try to get the Peleng 8mm f3.5 lens for fish eye. Cheap, and performance is ok.

Here is some images taken with Peleng 8mm

52020294.jpg

52400311.jpg

I had to crop to remove the black vignetting on the side to get the image. However if you prefer the circular image, just leave it.

Hart

Hiee rongren...

I do have one....0.42x. great stuff....for sun shots..
Great on the A2...

But for DSLR....the best effect so far is using it on the 17-35mm f2.8-4 either by holding it
in front or using a dedicated step-up convertor.

Need to use small apertures....here is an example taken af f8.

Actual 17-35mm shot - about 28mm FOV
fisheye1.jpg

With 0.42x in front about 8mm - with 12mm FOV
fisheye2.jpg

Cropped to get rid of dark ring.
fisheye3.jpg

Seems that the FE effect isn't really great on DSLRs. :(

hihi...thanx to all who replied!!

hi hart... saw the MO for Pelang fisheye.. but cost about S$400... so went ebay to check out on it when i came across this 0.42x converter.. (still a poor student mah :cry: ..thinking of using angbao money to buy some stuffs to pamper myself.. and my angbao money is quite peanuts) haha... so was considering this "cheaper alternative"

sulhan: thanx for being so helpful as usual! Now i have a better idea how the effect would be like.. guess its still acceptable for someone like me looking for something different ...considering the price of the converter.. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.