Anyone tried fog effect filter?

sfoto100

Nov 29, 2009
interested to know about these filters too, have not used one before, but just curious, would it be easier to create fog in post processing instead? i guess post processing may give much more flexibility about the strength of fog etc.

and another thing about fog is that, in real world, the scene nearer to you should be clearer than those further away, can these filters recreate this? or it just add the fog uniformly across the picture? or do we have a "graduated fog filter" for this purpose?

miaoteh said:
interested to know about these filters too, have not used one before, but just curious, would it be easier to create fog in post processing instead? i guess post processing may give much more flexibility about the strength of fog etc.

and another thing about fog is that, in real world, the scene nearer to you should be clearer than those further away, can these filters recreate this? or it just add the fog uniformly across the picture? or do we have a "graduated fog filter" for this purpose?

Definitely post processing will give you more flexibility. About your description that using a fog filter will makes near object clearer and further object more foggy. Are you able to confirm it? Doesn't seems to me that such effect can be created with a 2D filter.

But your concept of depth can be simulated in software using A simple mask with different amount of opacity at different areas to simulate real foggy scene. Pretty manual though.

Last edited:
Definitely post processing will give you more flexibility. About your description that using a fog filter will makes near object clearer and further object more foggy. Are you able to confirm it? Doesn't seems to me that such effect can be created with a 2D filter.

But your concept of depth can be simulated in software using A simple mask with different amount of opacity at different areas to simulate real foggy scene. Pretty manual though.

i didn't say that the filter can create such effect, i was just saying in real world the REAL fog should be like that :)

Last edited:
miaoteh said:
i was saying in real world the REAL fog should be like that :)

Okay I may have mistaken. If you are referring to simulating real fog, then I guess masking is your best bet.

I have never heard of or came across filters able to do that. Perhaps what you need is the kinect to help you generate a distance 2D mask which you can apply over the image.

Another approach is take you own reading of the distance between your camera and the focus point and make your own 2D gradient mask. I don't think you need a real and concise fog. Besides I highly doubt the audience can differentiate. The equation to generating your own mask is not very hard, just need to apply inverse law when you draw up the mask. Light falls off inversely to the distance it travels, in the fog, the fall off is a lot more pronounced.

Just a poor man's solution for you to consider.

actually... such special effects most of the time u will not really use it... unless u want to make this as your personal style shoot, for me i will probably use once or twice, the most thrice, and i will get sick of it :p