Anyone tried cleaning their sensors before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengzr

Mar 16, 2009
Have a shoot and dun have time to send in my camera.

Was wondering if anyone has tried to clean the CCD themselves before.

If so what is a good cleaning kit that you would recommend?

Any other tips are also welcome.

!!!! brush on the ccd? I thought you need special cleaning kits for that?

!!!! brush on the ccd? I thought you need special cleaning kits for that?

there are those soft brush for cleaning your lens, their hair are very soft and u dont need alot of force to brush off dust.

just turn your camera down and gently use the brush to brush the sensor (sensor or filter protection and the soft brush is not going to scratch it) the brush will dislodge those stubborn dust and use the blower to blow the dust out.

you should use the blower, if still cant then the brush can come in. just need to point your cam downwards when doing your cleaning for best result. you can also point your cam down and trigger the cam auto cleaning function in hope to shake the dust off the sensor surface and let gravity pull the dust off

those special kit is sensor swipe which are like your lens paper made of micro fibre which will not scratch the glass or sensor when (gently) swipe over. the wipe also have some cleaning solution that dont leave residue.

Last edited:
Icic, I own a nikon d70s by the way don't know if they have the same coating as a newer d80. I'll check the brush out at a store today sounds really cool.

i have been doing it for a long time

all you need is:

1) blower
2) cleaning solution (photographic solutions)
3) sensor swab or equivalent

The brush is it those makeup (blusher brush)? Or is it special type?

The last time round I saw from CP, the packing is quite shabby type. Like those MIC brand. Dun really trust using that. :sweat:

I just use blower and if spots still persist, then it's down to the service centre.

Blower cause more dust into sensor that happen to me.Have to buy sensor swab with eclipse solution to clean those stubborn dust.It ok then

Blower cause more dust into sensor that happen to me.Have to buy sensor swab with eclipse solution to clean those stubborn dust.It ok then

Before u blow into the sensor, always 'pre-blow' it externally first so as to get rid of any trapped dusts inside the blower. I only use blower and so far no problems after that.

use a vacuum cleaner put near to the lens mounting hole, it work.

use a vacuum cleaner put near to the lens mounting hole, it work.

heard of humans doing your method... but i have a weak heart :sweat:

maybe to play safe, i use a weak (dying) set of batteries for my vacuum cleaner

U can get this brush by the name VisibleDust by Artic Butterfly

please note that the brush has to be maintained regularly to work well,

and it does not resolve most problems that a blower cannot solve already

U can get this brush by the name VisibleDust by Artic Butterfly

Not useful if the sensor has tough to remove spots like oil stains..still cant beat wet cleaning :)

Woah no CO2, I read somewhere never to do that.

I put mine on the 'Quick Rinse' cycle.

Is that OK?

tried manual cleaning ... with blower.. in the end some spots went off.. some new spots generated haha ,,, well i jus sent down nia .. ard 3 weeks ago then never change any lens since then .. but y do the dusts still gets into the cam..

this i really very sianz but it only affects at F16 and above..
:(

heng i seldom use.. if need to use then i send CSC... bo bianz

Status
Not open for further replies.