Hello everyone,

Anyone switched from Windows to Mac?
Care sharing your experience? I am interested to know:
- any regret?
- what you like most about Mac and what you miss

Thanks so much!!!

hmmm ... no Mac virus?

Mac Virus is booming along with more people switching to Mac. :cool:

by the time window less virus... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: No ending bro ...new virus will be create.....temperory is a good counter measure

i've switched.. happy with the move... can't really say that mac is much better.. just minus all the annoying stuff that happes to windows la... hanging , reboot for no reason.. stuff like dat...

hehehe

the coding for man and windows is different, since the mac platform is only about 5 or 6 % worldwide, the hackers/virus writers will not want to target this small community.

Use both systems. When Windows have virus switch to MAC. It best you can use both systems. This works towards your advantage. Why change?

I use both while out in the field and back home.

Both have their merits, really. My iBook has a better-calibrated LCD for in-the-field photo work. It also works for longer period without odd problems, and wakes from sleep properly. I haven't encountered Mac Trojan/virus yet (fingers crossed).

Do note that Mac OS X currently does not write to (but do read from) NTFS hard drives, and this may have impact on your workflow. OS X is also not supported for a lot of games, applications and online applications/services.

My 2-cents: which is better depends on what software you run, and how much you are scared of virus/Trojans :devil: The hardware isn't a big deal.

yeah..that's why i choose ibook for mobile computing...love the instant on from sleep feature and the super long battery life

sleep/standby mode usually dont work as stable in windows...but my ibook never failed to turn on instantly and pple were wondering how come the ibook can boot up so fast...lol

for me..my laptop is only for photoshop, firefox, instant messaging and EOS capture...so mac fits the bill

Wai said:
yeah..that's why i choose ibook for mobile computing...love the instant on from sleep feature and the super long battery life

sleep/standby mode usually dont work as stable in windows...but my ibook never failed to turn on instantly and pple were wondering how come the ibook can boot up so fast...lol

for me..my laptop is only for photoshop, firefox, instant messaging and EOS capture...so mac fits the bill

wai.....

same with me. iBook for field work. haha.....i never switch off my iBook the day it landed on my hand! just close the lid and wah lah.........zzzzzzzzzz!

yes, the Mac experience is just lovely.

I am using both platforms, Mac & Windows, but I will not trust a Windows machine as the front end for internet purposes such as web browsing and email for obvious reasons.

Both have their strengths and end of the day, if depends on the apps you need but really true a Mac is more stable and gives less hanging problems compared with windows. With a Windows, I need to reinstall at least once a year to make sure it runs properly without any quirks but I never have to do that with OSX.

i use both. mac at work (since 8600/604E days) & pc at home. :)

i know friends who switched. i dun quite understand them. they r willing to pay $2k+ for the mac but when it comes to pc, they only want to spend $800 on low quality stuffs. after that complain about hangs & reboots. some even weirder, they told me how fast the mac is & their comparison is a Dual G5 2.5GHz with a single P4 running 3GHz.

virus? no worries, got fire wall. i still think pc has less problems when it comes to e-filing of my income tax. :bsmilie: also like the logical way windows & apps interfaces/navigates. mac is a little too illogical for me even after all these years. ;p

yum yum... wan to change.... no $$$...... sobz.. :cry:

Pro Image said:
wai.....

same with me. iBook for field work. haha.....i never switch off my iBook the day it landed on my hand! just close the lid and wah lah.........zzzzzzzzzz!

haha..very useful when i need to work while travelling

no need to waste time waiting for the windows to load

make sure you dont leave it sleep for too long, it still drain power

the only complain with my ibook is the hard disk speed...which is only 4200rpm and i dont want to strip open the ibook myself to change the hard disk after i found out that there are over 50 screws to remove :eek: :eek:

Wai said:
the only complain with my ibook is the hard disk speed...which is only 4200rpm and i dont want to strip open the ibook myself to change the hard disk after i found out that there are over 50 screws to remove :eek: :eek:

oh.... u shud & must change it to at least a 5400rpm 8MB cache drive. u will love its speed. got extra bucks, u must get the 7200rpm. runs hot but its here to kill.... ;)

Hellooo guys,
Thanks for all the reply.

The main reason I have been thinking to switch to Mac is because of the hanging issue and some unexplainable weird behaviour of my PC, like suddenly doesn't want to boot up.
I am running P4 2.8GHz 1GB RAM on MSI 875PNEO motherboard.
It's been slightly more than a year since I bought it.
Maybe, like one of the suggestions in the post ... I have to reformat and reinstall everything now?

If I have to do this (reformat and reinstall), can someone advise what's the best way to do it?
Do I need a disk drive to first boot it up prior to the fresh installation?
I only have CDROM drive, no disk drive.

Thanks for all the help.

Emmm, Nightpiper has approached it in a different perpective :)

Anyway, i am a recent switcher from a PC notebook to an iMac.

Personally, i think both platforms have their own strengths and
shortcomings. It depends on which feature/ weakness u valued
more.

I am still using PC an work.

Here is my take:
-> if u frequent SimLim, Funan and look forward to the latest
IT show in Singapore, love shopping for gadgets, e.g. apply thermal
compound on your CPU and RAM, consider/ or already used liquid cooling
and neon lights for power casing, just wanna buy the latest
video card, scoop for the best deal in internal 16x DVD writer....

PC has alot of varieties and options.
If one derives a kick from haggling over prices and comparing notes
with friends on purchases, PC can be fun for such a lifestyle.

-> Mac is more limited on peripherals (e.g. tablet with Chinese input,
latest video card support, TV tuner...) but it is more integrated.

I am not a gadget whore, as such, so far so good with mac but i do
agree that it is not a bed of rose, so far.....
one must think different in order to enjoy the mac platform.

If u want a faster speed (hardware) with a lower price, the PC is still leading.
However, if you want to work faster, (provided Mac has
the app for such kind of work), maybe Mac is a better choice.

PS: I still have not found an equivalent irfanview (freeware) in Mac.
I have tried
Viewit (US$20), photoreviewer (US$10), Photomechanic (US$150)...

ok , iphoto is free, but try importing RAW files or big jpg straight from
the card and the storage requirement when u build up the iphoto library...
Mmmm, i may think otherwise.

dshooter said:
Hellooo guys,
Thanks for all the reply.

The main reason I have been thinking to switch to Mac is because of the hanging issue and some unexplainable weird behaviour of my PC, like suddenly doesn't want to boot up.
I am running P4 2.8GHz 1GB RAM on MSI 875PNEO motherboard.
It's been slightly more than a year since I bought it.
Maybe, like one of the suggestions in the post ... I have to reformat and reinstall everything now?

If I have to do this (reformat and reinstall), can someone advise what's the best way to do it?
Do I need a disk drive to first boot it up prior to the fresh installation?
I only have CDROM drive, no disk drive.

Thanks for all the help.

that is a great board u've gotten there. :) the next step is not to stinch on the power supply unit, very important. get a good brand that supplies true power. also make sure your HDD is not spoilt (bad sectors). after u have reformat & reinstall, make sure u get those critical patches ready before installing any drivers. all drivers shud be installed AFTER patches.

lastly, u just need the OS ROM, no need for floppy these days. it will boot up from the CDROM & the whole process will be prompted. do remember to set your first bootable device to CDRom in the BIOS first. :)

hope this helps.

(ps. doens't sound too complicated at all if u have tried installing mac OS as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.