Anyone still use Cokin Filter System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonrus

Feb 15, 2007
Back in the days when I use manual film cameras, Cokin introduced their creative filter system. I was able to use the same filter for different size lens diameter. Of course this was a little more hassle to use than the standard screw on filters, but this was one of the most economical systems available; just having to buy one set of filter & a ring mount for each different sized lens.

I know that Cokin still produces them but in the recent years I've not seen a single person (that I know of anyway) using them. Any reason for this?

Back in the days when I use manual film cameras, Cokin introduced their creative filter system. I was able to use the same filter for different size lens diameter. Of course this was a little more hassle to use than the standard screw on filters, but this was one of the most economical systems available; just having to buy one set of filter & a ring mount for each different sized lens.

I know that Cokin still produces them but in the recent years I've not seen a single person (that I know of anyway) using them. Any reason for this?

Yeah, I recently found the reason......Tianya filters cost a fraction of the price of Cokin filters.

Sometimes, filter effects can be Photoshoped too, leading to a drop in the popularity of filters.

Anybody can think of any other reasons? :dunno:

I'm still using it but only the Circular Polarizer, ND and ND Grads. I have a whole lot from my film days and they are all redundant now, especially the colour balance filters e.g warm up or cool down range.

Even for ND Grads, many argue that it's better to take 2 exposure and combined them in PS as the filters "will degrade your optics quality".

I am still using it cannot do without it. But Cokin filters easily scratched.:(

Just the warming filters though, mostly for videography. Mounting them on a XL1.

Status
Not open for further replies.