Anyone shoots in Germany before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
am thinking of transit through germany, then find budget flight into croatia. the following 5 places have flights to dubrovnik, so wonder which one should i look at?

thinking in terms of
1. photographic opportunities (like things iconic/symbolic and old/nostalgic)
2. proximity/ease of transport between airports/town

hannover
frankfurt
cologne
stuttgart
munich

anyone have any advises?

Munich and Cologne are the more scenic, historic cities with great architecture. Cologne will give good access to the Rhine river, Munich to the Alp foothills and the Black Forest.

Munich and Cologne are the more scenic, historic cities with great architecture. Cologne will give good access to the Rhine river, Munich to the Alp foothills and the Black Forest.

Ermmm... Cologne is actually one of the most modern cities in Germany! I have been there. The entire city was burnt down some time ago, save for the cathedral, so they rebuilt it and hence it is new. A good place for shopping... it's something like the Tokyo of Germany... lots of modern hi-end shops... also interesting shops for collectibles stuff. Good for street photography (pretty high human traffic)... not really for scenery. Unless streets are scenic to you. But yes, the train ride to Cologne crosses the Rhine river, which is very scenic.

The most famous thing in this city is the cathedral, which is said to be the only thing that didn't get burnt down in the fire. It is one of the oldest cathedrals around... very large... very grand... very historic/ nostalgic looking architecture.... with lots of intricate carvings... greyish in colour... kinda gothic like. I love the architecture... it's one of the most beautiful cathedrals I have seen (but then this is my taste). Worth a visit, esp. if architecture is your thing. There are free (i think) conducted tours in the cathedral too and you can light a candle if you like. Have fun! :)

Oh, you can probably skip Frankfurt... pretty boring commercial city compared to the others...

I know a German lady from Munich... I would ask her for advise, then get back to you. :)

Last edited:
i have not, but i have a friend who just came back, he's currently with me

i will ask him and let you know tomorrow.

This is the reply I got from the German lady who lived in Munich:

"For a layover stop, I would choose Munich b/c it is a much prettier city. Frankfurt is convenient but pretty boring to see as a tourist.

Munich is 850 years old and has amazing architecture and within 2 hours by train you can be to the highest point in Germany. Munich has an amazing transportation system. You can get everywhere you would want to go by train or bus and the Sbahn takes you right to the center of the city.

I lived in Munich for five years and if you are not going to go to Berlin (which would be my first choice) I would head straight to Munich.. you can spend days taking pictures .... they even have surfers at the Isar in the English gardens.. even in winter!

Have a great trip!"

Ermmm... Cologne is actually one of the most modern cities in Germany! I have been there. The entire city was burnt down some time ago, save for the cathedral, so they rebuilt it and hence it is new. A good place for shopping... it's something like the Tokyo of Germany... lots of modern hi-end shops... also interesting shops for collectibles stuff. Good for street photography (pretty high human traffic)... not really for scenery. Unless streets are scenic to you. But yes, the train ride to Cologne crosses the Rhine river, which is very scenic.

The most famous thing in this city is the cathedral, which is said to be the only thing that didn't get burnt down in the fire. It is one of the oldest cathedrals around... very large... very grand... very historic/ nostalgic looking architecture.... with lots of intricate carvings... greyish in colour... kinda gothic like. I love the architecture... it's one of the most beautiful cathedrals I have seen (but then this is my taste). Worth a visit, esp. if architecture is your thing. There are free (i think) conducted tours in the cathedral too and you can light a candle if you like. Have fun! :)

Oh, you can probably skip Frankfurt... pretty boring commercial city compared to the others...

I know a German lady from Munich... I would ask her for advise, then get back to you. :)

Yup, I was specifically thinking of the cathedral. It's the largest in Germany, and a classic example of gothic architecture.

Overall though, Munich is much better to visit as a tourist.

Munich is nice for quick stopovers.
Frankfurt, if you have time, has access to Heidelberg. most beautiful place in germany IMO... :p

Base on the list of location
Munich lor... but its become too touristy for me... everywhere is tourist :(
The English Garden will be an eye opener...got some shots but cannot post :bsmilie:
But i prefer Berlin, but also becomes too tourist liao... even the Berlin wall was fence up... the last time i when it was not... but was told by my German counterpart there are still places where the wall is not fence up... i dunno, not time to explore too far...
Lubeck is also very nice, recommended by my German counterpart...old town i think, but its too far north i guess...
most ppl will move to Cezch from Germany... but Croatia is also nice i guess..

most ppl will move to Cezch from Germany... but Croatia is also nice i guess..

after the few long tiring trips, though i'm still interested in places like central asia and mongolia, i would need some places that allows a more sedentery pace. so i thought about europe.

was trying to find places that is not too expensive and less visited, which i short listed the baltics and the balkans... estonia vs croatia... and after looking at the pictures i can find, i prefer the older looking croatia to the clean estonia, but was at first plaqued by the cost of flights as i thought the nearer the country, the cheaper the flight, thinking of entering croatia via north italy... which is however very expensive by flight and very time consuming via land. so initially i drop the idea of croatia and look at spain which i thought should be easier to travel to.

and all thanks to nightmare, i realise there are a few budget airlines and they do travel to the places i want at affordable prices, hence it revive the idea of going croatia, which is either via london or germany. if possible, i would really not want to go london (have been to but dun really like it) and would want to go via germany. actually if i can fly to istanbul and transit to dubrovnik in croatia, that would be ideal but dun seem to find airlines for this route.

my rough itinerary is sg - uk/de - dubrovnik - (KIV korcula - hvar) - split - sibenik - zadar - plitvice - zagreb (dance festival) - uk/de - sg. 2 weeks in end of may. exactly how to travel to dubrovnik (one end) and leave via zagreb (other end) in croatia is my current headache as the links between zagreb and the german cities seem to be lacking while dubrovnik isn;t an issue.

as to why not praque and why not spain? becos i think these are places that are easier to travel to and can be my last resorts next time should i need to travel alone. while i can get travel mates, i would consider places less explored.

currently it seem to work out still quite expensively, even at a budget consideration...
flight to europe including tax. S$1300-1500
domestic flight to and from croatia < S$200 (if from UK at lowest price)
accomodation S$700
food S$400
other transport S$ ?

Last edited:
Cologne,Dusseldorf and Duisburg are awesome cities.
pretty close to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.