Anyone shooting Thaipusam Procession 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
Thaipusam Procession 2006 will commence from about 2100hrs on 10 Feb to about 0200 on 12 Feb 06.
anyone going to shoot this? Was always curious.. any advice on stuff NOT to do during Thaipusam?

slaam said:
Thaipusam Procession 2006 will commence from about 2100hrs on 10 Feb to about 0200 on 12 Feb 06.
anyone going to shoot this? Was always curious.. any advice on stuff NOT to do during Thaipusam?

Don't get in the way of their intended path as each one walks with the kavadis. A certain distance is good as some would dance and gyrate around so last thing you want it to end up colliding with the devoutees. Always be respectful, considerate and not to get too "in your face" with the devoutees and their group of supports that walks with them. This is a very important day to each of the devotee who has spend a long time preparing to take on this day's challenge. You are there to capture and witness a very holy trial and intriguing ceremony, it is not life and death to die die take any particular shot that would disrupt their kavadi walk so just be mindful and you should come away with some really great shots. Personally I am not into using my flash even as a fill-in to balance the daylight and illuminate dark shadow areas. NIght time well...I guess no choice but I would still try to monitor the scene before deciding to use it.

This is going to start at Little India and end at Chinatown.

nicholas68 said:
This is going to start at Little India and end at Chinatown.

not quite... it will of course start at temple at Serangoon Road but will end at a temple at Tank Road. i called the Hindu Endownment Board and the girl told me so. the event starts around 4am and it lasts the whole day.

sammy888 said:
Don't get in the way of their intended path as each one walks with the kavadis. A certain distance is good as some would dance and gyrate around so last thing you want it to end up colliding with the devoutees. Always be respectful, considerate and not to get too "in your face" with the devoutees and their group of supports that walks with them. This is a very important day to each of the devotee who has spend a long time preparing to take on this day's challenge. You are there to capture and witness a very holy trial and intriguing ceremony, it is not life and death to die die take any particular shot that would disrupt their kavadi walk so just be mindful and you should come away with some really great shots. Personally I am not into using my flash even as a fill-in to balance the daylight and illuminate dark shadow areas. NIght time well...I guess no choice but I would still try to monitor the scene before deciding to use it.

hmmm great tips! Thanks sammy!
anyone know more about the procession and the path? I only know the timing..

you may want to consider going to the temple earlier, to watch the people prepare. there will be some interesting sights, such as some of the ceremonies/rituals going on before they set off.

i can't remember the exact timings, but it's probably good to go quite late, maybe nearer to midnight. that's when the men carrying the big kavadis set out.

for those not used to this, it can be a rather intense experience. lots of crowds, sounds, colours...

if you're curious, don't hesitate, just go. but be respectful, it's a big day for the kavadi bearers, and the physical and mental pressure is tremendous.

when they reached the temple in Tank Road, depending on the time, they may need to queue up before going in.

..some music n dance... their tired look...and the look of the achievement, the 'pain' when they remove those hooks, etc.... its a good learning experience

I maybe going.. Anyone know the timing?

Those going wanna meet up?

Do anyone know can go into the temple and need to take off shoes ??? Please forgive my silly question :confused:

kangmf said:
Do anyone know can go into the temple and need to take off shoes ??? Please forgive my silly question :confused:

temple can go in but must take off shoes , suggest u wear one cheap cheap slippers, there have been cases of missing shoes, especially at such big scale event.

kangmf said:

yup. if your bag is big enough put your footwear in your bag. or if you drive leave them in your car. :)

or bring along a plastic bag to bag your shoes and tied it to your camera bag.

Thanks Cser for the reply.....:)

Aye, that day covering an event from noon onwards leh. If early in the morning, then not enuff sleep. Think will have to pass it this year...

What will be a good place to take some shots? And about the procession: is it continuous throughout the day or do the devotees start at certain times?

jus said:
I maybe going.. Anyone know the timing?

Those going wanna meet up?

it's a whole day event.

thaipusam is whole day event, but anyone knows what time and where exactly to shoot those in kavadis piercing, etc?
or they would be everywhere?

sounds interesting,i'm new here so its a learning process for me..anyway,am not working on saturday..anyone going pls let me know also...

Status
Not open for further replies.