Anyone sent their pentax for servicing before?

UnicornTG

Sep 23, 2011
Hi all,
Would like to know if anyone sent their pentax body or lens for servicing before?
Has been observing dark spots on the photos took with my pentax and suspect sensor need cleaning. Also observed fungus on my lens so decide to go emjay to have them checked too. Got there and was told that they need to send my pentax to Japan to check and clean? Also, the person at emjay said cleaning of lens will cost roughly $100 for kit lens? Would like to know if there is any other places to get them serviced. Thanks in advance!

Dslr k-x

swing by youtube and search "DSLR sensor cleaning". its a pretty straightforward DIY job if you don't want to send it in and wait for it to come back.

kit lens, u might as well just camp out at the buy/sell forum and buy a new one or spend a bit more to get a fast zoom like the tamron 17-50. i wouldn't pay $100 to have it looked at.

fungus is a rather rare occurrence unless u do not use a dry cabinet. did u get it wet? or have u been storing it in a damp place?

is it still covered by warranty by the way?

Thanks for your quick reply! =) Will check out the DIY sensor cleaning. Just abit sad to know that emjay cannot clean our pentax locally and have to send them back to japan to check.

Yup, that is what i am thinking about the kit lens too, either get a second hand or change to tamron 17-50. Not worth cleaning it.
Problem is my DAL 55-300 also slightly fungus-ed. That one cannot just throw away.

Think the lens got abit damp during my korean trip and i didn't noticed. Am storing it in a box with some silica gel. Didn't notice the gel not working anymore.

Sadly warranty over ard 4 months ago. =(

Warranty don't cover fungus growth... Lesson learnt, get a dry cabinet. Small ones are rather cheap. Maybe you could try PM-ing fatigue see if he can clean your lens? Not too sure if he does zoom lenses though.

sensor cleaning is such a straightforward thing that its not even something i will bother to send in for even if they could do it locally.

i can never understand why my friends using other brands will specially take leave to make a special trip down to the service centre every few months and happily pay a service fee to get a tech to do it for them. so troublesome.

either use a blower to blow away the dust, or invest in the pre-wetted sensor cleaning swabs.

the sensor is more hardy than you think cos u're actually not cleaning the sensor but the AA filter, which is a piece of glass on top of the sensor.

just follow the instructions, and be gentle. :)

Thanks for ur valued advice. I tried blowing with a blower before but the dark spots still remain. Maybe will try to get the wipes u mention to try.

Btw, where can i get the pre-wetted sensor cleaning swabs? How much do they cost?

i think for 100 bucks u add 20 bucks more can get a WR version of the kit lens in B&S.

even better and can work with your future WR body if you ever upgrade. not worth the effort to clean it.

For sensor, maybe can tried blowing first. if not then learn from the experts here on how to wet clean, for me i also no guts to wet clean, lucky pentax so far not much dust.

for nex5n.... damn a lot of dust!

Btw, where can i get the pre-wetted sensor cleaning swabs? How much do they cost?

u can try the usual places - orient photo at sls or just check around funan / peninsula area and ask ard the shops selling camera accessories and stuff, or even cathay if u're more comfortable there.

i got mine from ebay long time ago. i keep the plastic stick so i can reuse them with pec-pads.

a small pack with a few swabs might cost $10 or $20... i can't remember.

ayuready said:
i think for 100 bucks u add 20 bucks more can get a WR version of the kit lens in B&S.

even better and can work with your future WR body if you ever upgrade. not worth the effort to clean it.

For sensor, maybe can tried blowing first. if not then learn from the experts here on how to wet clean, for me i also no guts to wet clean, lucky pentax so far not much dust.

for nex5n.... damn a lot of dust!

Haha, same here. The thought of touching anywhere inside the camera is quite scary! *Although i saw somewhere that we are actually cleaning a filter that cover the sensor.*

detritus said:
u can try the usual places - orient photo at sls or just check around funan / peninsula area and ask ard the shops selling camera accessories and stuff, or even cathay if u're more comfortable there.

i got mine from ebay long time ago. i keep the plastic stick so i can reuse them with pec-pads.

a small pack with a few swabs might cost $10 or $20... i can't remember.

Thanks for the info! Will check them out over the weekend!