Anyone put on a polariser for outdoor actual day wedding shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Oracle

Jun 23, 2005
East Coast
I am not a keen polariser user but in order to get the vivid colour of the surrounding, should i be using a polariser? will the polariser affect the skin tone of the brde and groom? I am two week away from taking wedding shoot for my friend so please advise.

No it doesn't affect the skin tone but it does enhance the blue sky. Be sure to turn the polariser until it gives you the minimum amount of glare.

But do photographer really put on a polariser? I never heard they do.

I only do that if 1) I have the time to do so, 2) the couple can wait 3) it's a posed shot.

If you were planning on using it candidly shooting, don't bother.

What do you mean by you have time? Cant you put it on before the shoot?
:dunno:

The Oracle said:
What do you mean by you have time? Cant you put it on before the shoot?
:dunno:
What??? Have you used a polarizer before? If you haven't, don't use it during a wedding shoot, just one more thing for you to worry about. You wont have the time to make the adjustment to get the effect you want.

Deadpoet said:
What??? Have you used a polarizer before? If you haven't, don't use it during a wedding shoot, just one more thing for you to worry about. You wont have the time to make the adjustment to get the effect you want.

I only used in landscape shoot. I usually take landscape with it but not in portrait. Jus trying to figure out should i be using it.

by the time, you focus the polariser for minimum glare. you would have miss many a good shots.

amirfarhan said:
by the time, you focus the polariser for minimum glare. you would have miss many a good shots.

Guess it is wise to keep it without using the polariser. But how can i get the vivid colour of the environment without the use of polarsier? That means i have to do post processinhg?

i only use it when there's a car invovled. eg: when the groom arrives, leave bride's home, go church, etc...

wat do u mean vivid colour? won't playing with the saturation on the camera help?

The Oracle said:
Guess it is wise to keep it without using the polariser. But how can i get the vivid colour of the environment without the use of polarsier? That means i have to do post processinhg?

erm.... AFAIK, a polarizer doesn't exactly enhances the 'vivid colour of the environment'. as mentioned by the rest, its job is to cut down the glare and/or make the skies 'bluer' (if there's such a word). if u are talking abt enhancing colours, perhaps u are referring to coloured gels/filters (eg those coloured square filters from cokin), or perhaps ND/GND filters etc?

whichever camera u happened to be using (i presume DSLR, cos SLR will be a different ballgame), u have to post-process. its a matter of how much. if u happened to be using any of the nikon DSLRs (D70 and above) or the canon 1-series, which allow the loading of custom curves, u can find and download a huge number of curves online to suit ur purposes (with some modifications to ur liking, of course). i believe, for nikon, there's a very popular wedding curve. goggle to find. :p

The Oracle said:

I am with nightwolf75 here.

There is a prevailing (WRONG!) notion that a polariser enhances color.

A polariser does only a few things

1 Cut down light (so you better worry about handshake effects!)
2 Polarise light - and in doing so, reduce glare and "enhance" the color of skies - BUT ONLY if you point it in the direction. Point a camera towards the sun or photograph with the sun behind you, all you achieve is to reduce the light by 2-3 stops.
3 In very bright light, sometimes there can be reflections that can cause "flare". And therefore reduce contrast, and hence color saturation. But there must be things to cast reflections, such as taking images in deserts. Even so, to use a polariser effectively, you have to point it in the right direction.

Enhancing colors can be achieved by PS or with filters (as mentioned by NW).

The Oracle said:
I only used in landscape shoot. I usually take landscape with it but not in portrait. Jus trying to figure out should i be using it.
If you want a vivid blue sky, set exposure for the sky/background and use fill flash for the subjects.

Are you the main photographer?

If not, can try using it. You might get some surprises.

If you are the main, dun use it if you are unfamilar. You dun wanna lose a friend due to this, rite? :)

I am the main as i am doing a favourite for my friend. Very close friend and do not want to spoilt her day and wanting to take good photo! If i really want good colour for my photo, what are the method to be done? I am currently using a 20D and not sure what is a wedding setting as my camera do not have it. Can i download it and put it into my camera?

How do we set the fill flash as well? If my setting is say 1/125, should the setting in the flash be 1 stop down? like 1/60? Hehe amateur aout flash! :bigeyes:

The Oracle said:
I am the main as i am doing a favourite for my friend. Very close friend and do not want to spoilt her day and wanting to take good photo! If i really want good colour for my photo, what are the method to be done? I am currently using a 20D and not sure what is a wedding setting as my camera do not have it. Can i download it and put it into my camera?

so before the big day, any rehearsal, or practice sessions you had planned to shoot? try shooting and review your photos. Perhaps you can post some photos here for us to see and help you.

Sometimes good photography isn't about the 'settings'. If you still worry alot about settings while shooting on the actual day for your close friend.... I suggest don't do it. Like that how to enjoy her BIGGEST day?

The Oracle said:
I would put it this way, if you don't know what needs to be done, the biggest favour is to ask her to find somebody else :) You can be a backup.

To use PL filter on wedding day shoot, it is more workable during outdoor portraits shoot, if only happen that day is a sunny day and you pose the couple in a right position, the sun is either on your right or left, so you may have a bluer sky and greener greenery.

BTW, don’t try something new in a real wedding event, if you want to try some experiments, find any other occasions.

catchlights said:
BTW, don’t try something new in a real wedding event, if you want to try some experiments, find any other occasions.

:thumbsup: unless you are shooting for free and no need to give any photos back to couple:)

Status
Not open for further replies.