Anyone planning backpacking trips to Tibet, Nepal, Pakistan, Kashmir,Xinjiang in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Tot I will just ask for a show of hands if anyone is planning or considering photography backpacking trips (part-trekking, part-4WD or other transport) to these few places in early May (preferably the first 2 weeks for those who are working as 2 public holidays fall within that period) . Due to time and money constraints, I am looking at a <14 days trip with a budget of $1500 -$2000 (include everything).

Would be nice if I could get some advice from seasoned travellers too...

i might be planning for june...heh..not too siong backpacking though...still searching around for deals!

Wah... I wanna go these places!!!! :gbounce:
But then me tied down by project leh, won't be available until late Aug... :(
Actually when's the best time to visit these places???

Count me in for Pakistan,Kashmir,Xinjiang if intending to go after May 06. Been to Tibet and Nepal so will want to go other places. Keep me updated.

kingpin said:
Count me in for Pakistan,Kashmir,Xinjiang if intending to go after May 06. Been to Tibet and Nepal so will want to go other places. Keep me updated.

Oh kingpin, think I saw a thread regarding Nepal which Tomshen started. You guys and wong_se they all went together right? Reason for Pakistan,Kashmir,Xinjiang is that I am hugely inspired by his nuts's photos. However, I haven't doen much research yet on these 3 places yet as compared to Tibet. Would be good if anyone whos been there can contribute some info in the meantime.

By the way, after May 06 means you cna go only in June or anytime in May is good?

hey I wun mind backpacking to any of these places if it really cost $1500 - $2000. Count me in ya

v gd photo opportunities, whoever's going, gd luck n safe trip. wish i could sign up but i'm too old for this kinda ****.:what:

v gd photo opportunities, whoever's going, gd luck n safe trip. wish i could sign up but i'm too old for this kinda shi*.:what:

Latest update on airfare...

Singapore to Urumqi via Chengdu return ticket....$890+taxes(should be around $170). Alternatively can fly to Chengdu ($430+taxes) and take train(sleeper) to Urumqi to and fro. One way will take around 24 hours.

Yeah, interested in going too, keep me posted

if u wanna travel in style, consider the new train into lhasa... should be commissioned this July direct from lanzhou or golmud or Beijing... you can wanna consider flying into Xian to catch the trian. train connection from chengdu to lhasa will not be that convenience. within lhasa you can easy catch the local agent for further travel arrangements, could be cheaper... or u can choose to navigate on you own, lhasa is well connected.

i flied to chengdu and make a tough overland from there trip to lhasa myself, that was 2yrs ago... you can choose to do that too, but again, it's tough and full of unpredictables and surprises.

some of the shots are here - http://www.geocities.com/boochap/Tibet-0.html

There are "packages" from SG to these places, but generally yes, its cheaper to get from the local travel agents in the respective countries. You'll also be able to fully customise your itinerary to suit your group. The downside?
- Not sure how reliable some of the agents are, unless you have referals
- You need extra time for admin stuff, going around talking to agents

If you wanna DIY, very important to do your own readup. There is also a destination you'll need to go before all else.... the library or bookshop ;)

Hi nuts, right now I am in the process of finding out more information about the trips and reading up forums and travel articles on the net.Currently,have read about the KKH, route up from Islamabad up to Kashgar and also Xinjiang. May might not be such a good time for Xinjiang as I read that the best period should be around autuum, Sept - October. If I m not wrong, you went during the same period as the leaves and trees on your website are yellowish?

Have found out about Kanas, Hemu Village, the treks from Hemu to Kanas, Bai Haba,the Atlay area,Devil City, Kashgar,Karakuli Lake, etc. If I m going during May , not sure if I can cover so many places. Might be skipping Karakuli Lake and and do it another time if I do a route on the KKH from Kashgar to Islamabad, covering places like Passu, Gilgit etc on the way.

Do u have any contacts for 4WD and drivers in Xinjiang or know the rental per day roughly?

PS: sorry for posting this from the PM again. Tot I will just share any bits of info with everyone.

Hi guys,

Since you guys are interested in Tibet trip, just to give yo a heads up. There will be a 4x4 (Four Wheel drive)Overland trip from Yunnan to Tibet (Lhasa). This trip is organised by my friend Alvin who is a season traveller to Tibet. I am assisting him on this trip. So far, 5 ladies:bigeyes: has signed up for the trip and the trip is a confirmed go ahead.

The trip is a 16 days tour and the start date is 1st June 2006. Below are the sypnosis of the trip:

This trip brings you across the border of Yunnan & Tibet, along the route 214 Yunnan-Tibet as well as route 318 Sichuan-Tibet.

You will explore the various attractions from eastern Tibet, to the capital Lhasa. The route passes the mountainous region of northern Yunnan to enter into Tibet via the salt town of YanJing. It also passes through the LingZhi prefecture, which is home to many great canyons & sacred lakes, including the famous Namche Barwa peak, the 15th highest mountain in the world at 7782m.

Another highlight of this journey is a trek to Mount Everest Base Camp, on the Chinese side. From RongBuk monastery, you will have an awesome view of the north-face of Mount Everest, up close!

The trip ends in the capital city of Lhasa, & you will also have a chance to visit & explore the main attractions such as Potala Palace as well as Jokhang Palace.

Just to reiterate further, this is not a trekking trip but you will get to see beautiful scenery and sights along the way and of course you will get to interact with the locals. Perfect for photography. From my personal experience, if you want to enjoy trekking and at the same time photography, you have to limit your equipments cos the treks we organise are not 'easy' treks. I am not saying you can't do it but physically and mentally you have to be prepared for it.

Now, we will be organising a get together session for people who are interested in the trip sometime this month. If you are interested, you can leave your name here and once we confirm the venue and day will inform you guys further. Please take note, this is not a seminar but we will share our experience with you and maybe show you some photos which we take during some of the trips. And after talking to us and if you are comfortable with the people and are still keen to join for the trip, we can take it further from there.

As for the cost itself, during the session, we will give you a breakdown. More people sign up the less the cost will be. Interested parties please leave your name down!;)

Regards
CK

ckbekeong said:
Hi guys,

Since you guys are interested in Tibet trip, just to give yo a heads up. There will be a 4x4 (Four Wheel drive)Overland trip from Yunnan to Tibet (Lhasa). This trip is organised by my friend Alvin who is a season traveller to Tibet. I am assisting him on this trip. So far, 5 ladies:bigeyes: has signed up for the trip and the trip is a confirmed go ahead.

Regards
CK

Tis wud b an awesome trip but 1st june will be on ICT. Maybe Boroangel can plan for something like tat. Can skip some of the places in order not to exceed e 14days travel plan. I wud luv to go for such a trip if it's within 14days and can go fm july onwards.

ckbekeong said:
Hi guys,

The trip is a 16 days tour and the start date is 1st June 2006. Below are the sypnosis of the trip:

This trip brings you across the border of Yunnan & Tibet, along the route 214 Yunnan-Tibet as well as route 318 Sichuan-Tibet.

You will explore the various attractions from eastern Tibet, to the capital Lhasa. The route passes the mountainous region of northern Yunnan to enter into Tibet via the salt town of YanJing. It also passes through the LingZhi prefecture, which is home to many great canyons & sacred lakes, including the famous Namche Barwa peak, the 15th highest mountain in the world at 7782m.

Another highlight of this journey is a trek to Mount Everest Base Camp, on the Chinese side. From RongBuk monastery, you will have an awesome view of the north-face of Mount Everest, up close!

The trip ends in the capital city of Lhasa, & you will also have a chance to visit & explore the main attractions such as Potala Palace as well as Jokhang Palace.

Just to reiterate further, this is not a trekking trip but you will get to see beautiful scenery and sights along the way and of course you will get to interact with the locals. Perfect for photography. From my personal experience, if you want to enjoy trekking and at the same time photography, you have to limit your equipments cos the treks we organise are not 'easy' treks. I am not saying you can't do it but physically and mentally you have to be prepared for it.

Now, we will be organising a get together session for people who are interested in the trip sometime this month. If you are interested, you can leave your name here and once we confirm the venue and day will inform you guys further. Please take note, this is not a seminar but we will share our experience with you and maybe show you some photos which we take during some of the trips. And after talking to us and if you are comfortable with the people and are still keen to join for the trip, we can take it further from there.

As for the cost itself, during the session, we will give you a breakdown. More people sign up the less the cost will be. Interested parties please leave your name down!;)

Regards
CK

price?

Status
Not open for further replies.