Anyone one has this problem?

Wackyzacky

Jan 27, 2009
I just got a 550D and I used my 580EX and 430EXII on it as 'master' and 'slave'. Last night after trying out the flashes on the camera, my pop-up flash suddenly doesn't work (even when forced, in 'Manual' mode). When I go to 'flash control' the camera says that 'external flash is attached' when there isn't one attached.

When I attach a flash, and try to change/clear settings for my external flash, it says it's an incompatible external flash. Both flashes work well on my other canon camera and on the 550D. The only thing is the pop-up flash doesn't want to open up. Please advice. Thanks in advance!:)

Basically, what happened is the little pin in the hotshoe which detects that a hotshoe flash has been mounted is stuck.

Bring it down to CSC for servicing since your cam is new and probably under warranty.

I just got a 550D and I used my 580EX and 430EXII on it as 'master' and 'slave'. Last night after trying out the flashes on the camera, my pop-up flash suddenly doesn't work (even when forced, in 'Manual' mode). When I go to 'flash control' the camera says that 'external flash is attached' when there isn't one attached.

When I attach a flash, and try to change/clear settings for my external flash, it says it's an incompatible external flash. Both flashes work well on my other canon camera and on the 550D. The only thing is the pop-up flash doesn't want to open up. Please advice. Thanks in advance!:)

look at ur hot shoe, u will realise that there is a spring thingy on the sides. below that spring thingy is a small little button. my guess is that the spring thingy is deformed. nothing major. just take a small pin and push it upwards so it doesnt press on the small button can liao. had this problems quite often. its like that one for ppl who use external flashes. common problem

I used a penknife. Just stick inside and try to lift it up. The thingy is on the right side i think

Lots of things can DIY, and easier to DIY as compared to go all the way to CSC, unless one lives near there.

But personally speaking, if I am not aware of the mechanical dexterity or DIY aptitude of a person, I would not recommend the riskier of the two options. No offense to TS, but the latter factors are unknown to us.

All the best.

Thanks for taking time off to help me with my problem. I'll go try it out ans let you guys know how my cam is doing.;p

Hey!!! Thanks so much guys! I got it working again! :d this has saved me a trip to csc! Thanks again!:)

Glad to hear it's settled. :)

Welcome to the world of DIY!

Is this a design fault,manufacturer's fault, or QC fault, pls enlighten.

Coz, if in the event of DIY failure and unit brought it back to service centre, the guarantee could be consider void.

Last edited: