Anyone lost interest in photography for years but managed to find the drive again?

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
could be very gloomy, or maybe very light hearted for some. share your storys.

me! was a member since 2002 when I picked up a Canon A40 compact camera with manual function... but after a few mths after i got attached in my previous r/s... i stopped photography... and until 2009 when I pick up my first DSLR Canon 450D... engrossing myself in photography again and recently very much into film :)

anyway, think u posted in wrong section.

More like a kopitiam topic.
Just started not long ago...loss interest? not really.. but just lazy to bring the stuff out sometimes. (part of the reason being..friends that are going out will bring theirs too..so i can shoot with their gear too..sometimes.)
:bsmilie:

I started in 2000 with a Nikon film camera, stopped in 2002 when I when to work in china. Returned home in 2007 and started again...with a digital SLR

I did..was in school photography back in mid-late 80s (film then) and then lost it whilst in the army. When I rechecked my gear, they were mouldy and I gave up coz forgot to change Silica gel...
From around 2005, I started getting back a little with point and shoot digital camera for leisure and when I changed job in 2008 to a Construction Equipment company, I travel to jobsites and places tourists cannot visit. And then, the poison kicked in more..and its not stopping me. Wildlife/Nature photography is also a healthy way of exercise...but gear is heavy. So, I tend to select what I am aiming for that day and go light. I havent gone out in groups though...

started with film, than switch to digital than lost interest for many years
than came back and start shooting film again, and found myself in a totally new world.

i find myself enjoying the process more than the results when using film.

Recent years I only shoot when I am on holiday overseas.

I am also trying to find a spark to kill my procrastination + inertia.
Lazily as if not already in denial, I keep telling myself I am just taking a photographic break in between so that I may find new perspectives n not suffer mental black outs when I am shooting overseas.

Ryan

1997 was the year i started out in slr camera & use to own a Nikon F-601s but didn't went in depth nor explore further due to work constraints.Not long after sold off the gear & stopped for like 10 over years...In 2011 March the dslr fever caught up with me & there i was in somekind of IT show & gotten myself a semi-pro body to start with.From then on there was no turning back & I have just upgraded to FF...No turning back now,its more of a passion for me rather than just being a hobbyist.Cheers!

Its interesting to find this the first thread I am reading after a 1 year Lapse in the photography.

Was very passionate about photography until about 2 years ago when I went into career switch ... a self employed role ... which left me with no time for photography. Then about a year ago, baby came ... that further detered me from shooting .. in fact when I went taiwan for a short holiday in the April this year....realised I could not lurk around the stroller, the bags and the baby all at once.. so i sold all my 2 body + lenses when i returned.

It was not until last weekend, when i chanced a upon travel works from some website that I realised that I actually miss shooting deeply.. but now only left with a prosumer camera... haiz

Lack of creativity. Everything I shot followed the same framework and rules. Taking a break now... think I am hopeless... :x

Lack of creativity. Everything I shot followed the same framework and rules. Taking a break now... think I am hopeless... :x

try shoot other genres.

i started off shooting landscape only... then got a bit tired... then started portraits and also started doing pre wedding shoots. and much later on i also venture into macro (but only a while and find it dun suits me!) and pretty much engage in street photography now.

so whenever i shoot landscape, I try put in some human elements (what i learn from portrait and street) and when I shoot portrait and street, I try put in landscape.

try shoot other genres.

i started off shooting landscape only... then got a bit tired... then started portraits and also started doing pre wedding shoots. and much later on i also venture into macro (but only a while and find it dun suits me!) and pretty much engage in street photography now.

so whenever i shoot landscape, I try put in some human elements (what i learn from portrait and street) and when I shoot portrait and street, I try put in landscape.

Thanks bro. Think I need to do some research on the focal length for street, then decide on full frame or crop body... so much homework to do. haha!

havent shot anything proper in months already. maybe once in a while raise camera just to exercise arm, but chuck photos into bin.

guess i'm gonna be sitting out for a long while.

i started with film cameras, then stopped for a long time because it was getting too expensive to print. When Digital SLR was first launched, they were very very expensive. I finally got myself one when the DLSR prices came down to earth

This is quite common for many photographers, esp those who started in film days... when digital starts, a lot of photographers stopped taking photos. After a few years, droves of them start resurfacing.. then m4/3 comes, some of the very old members start resurfacing again...

Personally, I believe my photography interest is always there but opportunity and time to shoot is high dependent on my work situation! :p
I have never quit but stopped many times.... just don't give up your passion, not many things are worth persisting, but I believe photography is... :)

Me tooo.. :) sharing mine..
Old flame reignited.... Started with 110 kodak (?) as a present during kiddo years ~ 1983's,...somehow stopped....money is difficult back then..still kept it somewhere in pile of old stuffs..bought a Minolta pns at Changi dfs in 94..which the flash unexpectedly blown during winter outdoor shot same month.. Bought F50 during return leg...use it till 2000ish...a clear refusal to ASP format and 1st dslr in 2007 d40x... Then old flame erupted back till now..ouch :)
At all stages, there are times of dormant, obviously occupied with others and time...:)

could be very gloomy, or maybe very light hearted for some. share your storys.

Zoossh, seldom see you post travel pics anymore. Your pics were some of those which got me interested in photography.