Anyone knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaoxing

Feb 16, 2003
Bedok, Singapore
Visit site
If I were to sell my 2nd hand laptop with minor defects, which shop would offer more?

1) Cash Converter, Tampines
2) Challenger Cash-it-back

yaoxing said:
If I were to sell my 2nd hand laptop with minor defects, which shop would offer more?

1) Cash Converter, Tampines
2) Challenger Cash-it-back

None .... both required the laptop to be in the condition of saleable quality. Spolid Battery and Keyboard hardly qualified for saleable quality.

blurblock said:
None .... both required the laptop to be in the condition of saleable quality. Spolid Battery and Keyboard hardly qualified for saleable quality.

Are you sure? Cash Converter DOES accept partially spoilt items. All they do is either repair it themselves, or they label the item where it is spoilt.

In the first place, don't assume I'm selling exactly the same laptop I mentioned earlier.Your analysis was way off. Digitek closed down in 2001, not 2000. The HDD was manufactured in 2002, not 2000. The 2 x 128MB RAMs are both removable, not on-board. It's not a piece of sh1t mind you. A laptop has many removable parts ok?

Note: Even the keyboard is user-replaceable. It does not require a qualified technician to replace it.

So shut up if you have no answer. Don't make a fool of yourself here.

yaoxing said:
Are you sure? Cash Converter DOES accept partially spoilt items. All they do is either repair it themselves, or they label the item where it is spoilt.

In the first place, don't assume I'm selling exactly the same laptop I mentioned earlier.Your analysis was way off. Digitek closed down in 2001, not 2000. The HDD was manufactured in 2002, not 2000. The 2 x 128MB RAMs are both removable, not on-board. It's not a piece of sh1t mind you. A laptop has many removable parts ok?

Note: Even the keyboard is user-replaceable. It does not require a qualified technician to replace it.

Well, maybe I am making a fool out of myself, why don't you try it at Cash converter and Challenger yourself :) ........

Just for your information, I had a digitek notebook before I change it to a Dell, now I am having a Dell and an IBM notebook. When I tried to sell my digitek notebook, everyone shake their head ;). Thus the only thing I can do to my digitek notebook is to plug out the ram and transfer it to my dell notebook and at the same time put out the HDD and make it a backup harddisk :).

For your comment, if you ask a question, I am answering you through experience, if you cannot take negative answers, don't ask. If you felt you can get back the price you paid for it, you can go ahead and sell it to some suckers. You can quote an astronomical price for all I care. Just for information, Richfield was declared insolvent at year January 2002, that I concurred, my mistake there. However, If you care to know, most notebooks has on board base memory (Yes, even brands such as IBM which I am using now, dell, HP, compaq, fujitsu...etc ), that is not piece of shlt, for your information, the on board base memory is there so even without external memories modules the system is still usable, notebooks has limited expansion capability, and keeping the system as lean as possible with on board memory is one method, you cannot possiblity have a notebook with 8 memory expansion slot as you have with a desktop. The onboard memory is a separate module from the rest of the motherboard, thus even when the onboard memory is not functioning, with external memory, it will still function properly, but you lose some memories. If you tell me your system is running 2 x 128mb memory and you only have 256mb, then your system has more problems then you think, the on board memory is not functioning too.

For the note you put :Just for information keypads and battery compartment of different notebooks are designed differently, i.e. Compaq keypad / battery will not work with IBM, IBM will not work with dell....etc etc .... with richfield closed shop, where are you going to get replacement? (I give you an answer below).

By the way, about the comment of a laptop has many parts, yes I know that, I had 3 notebooks and I am working in the IT line. I am handling more then 100 notebooks in my organisation, I guess I know more about notebooks then you.

However, to give you a ray of hope, Digitek notebook is an OEM notebook of Mitec notebook, you can ask Mitec if they have spare old battery and keypad for replacement, so you can fetch a better price for your notebook.

I am assuming you are talking about the same notebook because you care to delete away your previous thread, assuming trying to mask your way.

the idea of a forum is to learn new things from each other...

not to demand answers and judge other from their responses...

as with most things in life... when u ask a question .. you may not get the answer you want.... if you already know the answer... it defeats the purpose of asking the question....

we are here to learn and share ideas.. not fight ... cheers

blurblock said:
However, If you care to know, most notebooks has on board base memory (Yes, even brands such as IBM which I am using now, dell, HP, compaq, fujitsu...etc )
I know. I own a Toshiba with one SODIMM slot that has 64MB onboard RAM. But I also own an IBM that has two SODIMM slots and no onboard RAM. There is no reason why I should strongly suspect that this Digitek with two SODIMM slot has onboard RAM.

blurblock said:
If you tell me your system is running 2 x 128mb memory and you only have 256mb, then your system has more problems then you think, the on board memory is not functioning too.
Nowadays probably only Toshiba Portege, older Satellites, Fujitsu B, S and P series, and older designs from other brands use it. On-board RAM is typically only for those laptops with greater portability.

blurblock said:
With richfield closed shop, where are you going to get replacement? (I give you an answer below).
I already knew the answer before I posted anything here. It costs $100 2nd hand and $150 (+$6 GST) if brand new.

blurblock said:
By the way, about the comment of a laptop has many parts, yes I know that, I had 3 notebooks and I am working in the IT line. I am handling more then 100 notebooks in my organisation, I guess I know more about notebooks then you.
That's what you guess. I know more than my TA when it comes to computer, and my TA has handled far more computers than me. Handling more laptops does not necessarily lead to knowing more about laptops.

blurblock said:
I am assuming you are talking about the same notebook because you care to delete away your previous thread, assuming trying to mask your way.
Mask my way? For what? Obviously you don't understand what I was trying to ask.

I've done as much as I can before coming to post my question. All I'm getting is nonsense from people who try to use their credentials to make nonsense sound like wisdom. Let you consider this: Try getting me a working laptop (minus keyboard, minus battery, minus optical drive) and sell it to me below $10. My rationale is: if you can quote $0 for mine, surely it must be viable to you.

So don't just anyhow quote your numbers.

Now I only need responses from others. As for your efforts to impress, thanks. I really appreciate it. But no thanks to its quality though.

I am not trying to quote $0 for your laptop, I am just trying to say that it has more value if you keep it. Most, if not all software can still run comfortably on a 750mhz system, I seldom see software that requires that fast speed to work, games excluded (but for games, a better graphical card is required). I had and still using a 650mhz system for testing purposes and it is still running fine. I don't see the reason why you should even be selling it. With the condition of that laptop, chances are nobody will want to pay a good price for it just to have to get it repaired later. If you are comfortable with your laptop, then use it rather then trying to sell it.

Maybe the way I write is too blunt, problem with IT trained personal is we are often too blunt in our answers.

I guess there should be a cash convertor is not too far away from you, why don't you just bring your laptop there and ask them to quote? would it not be easier?

By the way, I would not bother to go to cash convertor or challenger if I were you, they will most probably quote you a very low price, way below your expected price (well, they still have to make a profit out of your laptop). If you are really bent on selling your laptop for a good price in Singapore, why don't you try website such as www.interauct.com.sg where people come to auct for your laptop, you can set your reserve price there and sell it to anyone who meet your reserve price. An acer 525 with configuration similar to yours is now bidded at $700, you would not get this price if you sell it to cash convertor, heck, you would not even get that guy's reseve price of $500 at cash convertor.

BTW, for your case about no on board memory, I am not trying to show you my knowledge, but I think you got to see it the year your laptop was manufacturered not today's standard. On board memory was only available for bigger laptops two years ago due to technology Limitation.

Come to think of it, I don't know why this argument starts, but I guess I should apologise for even bother to answer you. :D

By the way, I am not trying to use my credential to impress, for your information, this is the first time here I ever tell anyone I am a IT trained personal. I see no reason to tell everyone that since I am in a photography website and not a professional photographer. If I am in a IT forum, that would be a different matter altogether.

yaoxing said:

an arrogant fool's retort

If the thread starter is like that in real life, I say - GOOD LUCK - to him/her. If you cannot take sincere attempts to answer your post, then perhaps you should not even bother to post. If you take replies as personal attacks, maybe you should do so at Speakers' Corner.

By token of this, perhaps the Admins/Mods can lock this thread. It could well end up like another one about "Feeling Good".

blurblock said:
I am not trying to quote $0 for your laptop, I am just trying to say that it has more value if you keep it. Most, if not all software can still run comfortably on a 750mhz system, I seldom see software that requires that fast speed to work, games excluded (but for games, a better graphical card is required). I had and still using a 650mhz system for testing purposes and it is still running fine. I don't see the reason why you should even be selling it. With the condition of that laptop, chances are nobody will want to pay a good price for it just to have to get it repaired later. If you are comfortable with your laptop, then use it rather then trying to sell it.
Thanks for this sincere post of yours. I understand that this laptop is still worthy of use in most circumstances, but I was considering changing it to something more appealing. That's why I was "Testing Market in my previous thread." Think you should understand by now.

blurblock said:
Maybe the way I write is too blunt, problem with IT trained personal is we are often too blunt in our answers.
Me too, in this thread in reply to your posts. However, I had tried to tolerate your bluntness in quoting "IBM 2.5" 30GB HDD not even worth a single cent" in my previous thread. Alas, you did not get my hint there. Anyone from Hardwarezone would definitely not agree with you.

blurblock said:
I guess there should be a cash convertor is not too far away from you, why don't you just bring your laptop there and ask them to quote? would it not be easier?
This "tactful" answer comes so late. But thanks.

blurblock said:
By the way, I would not bother to go to cash convertor or challenger if I were you, they will most probably quote you a very low price, way below your expected price (well, they still have to make a profit out of your laptop).
Thanks. In addition, someone from VR-Zone has commented that Cash Converter "is a place to sell something WORTHLESS. The price they offer you is really rock bottom. Unless its something that if u sell at a super low price and wont feel a pinch, dont try cash converters". So even if the laptop is worthless, it would still fetch a few cents.

cheers said:
an arrogant fool's retort
Well, if you are unaware of the situation (including what was posted in the previous thread, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself instead of increasing post counts in this manner.

Azure said:
If the thread starter is like that in real life, I say - GOOD LUCK - to him/her. If you cannot take sincere attempts to answer your post, then perhaps you should not even bother to post. If you take replies as personal attacks, maybe you should do so at Speakers' Corner.
A sincere attempt that only comes after numerous insults is not appreciated. If you have a functioning laptop that only requires replacement to keyboard and the lens for the DVDROM drive, and someone comes over and comments that it's not worth a single cent, not once, but twice, how would you feel? If you say you'll feel good, I feel sorry for you. Of course no one in his right mind would want others to abase his item so badly. Try putting yourself in my shoe instead.

Azure said:
By token of this, perhaps the Admins/Mods can lock this thread. It could well end up like another one about "Feeling Good".
This thread was started as a feeble attempt to get *SINCERE opinions from the mass. If this is how you want it to end up, then why have a forum?

*If you saw the previous thread about my entire laptop being quoted has "not even worth a single cent", you'll get what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.