Anyone knows where to find dying street trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

urban_trekker

Aug 7, 2005
Hi there,

I'm a photo newbie with an interest in capturing snippets of the original "old" singapore. Thinking of taking pictures of the fast vanishing "five-foot way traders", such as roadside barbers or fortune tellers, does anyone out there have a clue as to where they were last seen specifically? Been walking around chinatown for the past couple of days but it hasn't been very fruitful so far..would appreciate any help thanks!

u can find a roadside barber along east coast road, at the mouth of a small lane in between katong mall and holy family chruch. if u see a vet, an ocbc bank and a haagen daz across the road, you're at the correct place.

hope it helps :)

urban_trekker said:
Hi there,

I'm a photo newbie with an interest in capturing snippets of the original "old" singapore. Thinking of taking pictures of the fast vanishing "five-foot way traders", such as roadside barbers or fortune tellers, does anyone out there have a clue as to where they were last seen specifically? Been walking around chinatown for the past couple of days but it hasn't been very fruitful so far..would appreciate any help thanks!

Don't waste your time looking for these in Chinatown. It's a sad, sanitised, goofy theme-parkish joke of a tourist trap. You can thank Kenneth Liang for that. :rolleyes:

Food in the food center is still good though.

urban_trekker said:
Hi there,

there's a roadside barber at redhill lane beside a large tree, with tarpaulin sheet tied to the tree trunk and roadside railing for shelter.

uncleparty said:
u can find a roadside barber along east coast road, at the mouth of a small lane in between katong mall and holy family chruch. if u see a vet, an ocbc bank and a haagen daz across the road, you're at the correct place.

hope it helps :)

This guys hates cameras. He had a "No Picture" sign up for a while, he might have taken it down by now.

The Chinatown barber is fine with pictures, he's at the alley where all the street traders are.

Terence wrote:

"The Chinatown barber is fine with pictures, he's at the alley where all the street traders are."

Eh do you know what's the name of that street/alley with all the traders (I'm picturing rickety old men??) Or perhaps can point me to a nearby landmark?

Thanks!

stnicholas81 wrote:

"its in the vicinty of kampung istana. [not the one at orchard hor!]"

Haha the one at orchard more like istana palace def nothing kampung-ish about it la...

Eh what is this elusive kampung istana? Sorry...not familiar with the area cept for the sheesha and humus there :p

urban_trekker said:
Terence wrote:

"The Chinatown barber is fine with pictures, he's at the alley where all the street traders are."

Eh do you know what's the name of that street/alley with all the traders (I'm picturing rickety old men??) Or perhaps can point me to a nearby landmark?

Thanks!

its a back alley between between club street n south bridge road.
opposite the hans deli at chinasquare...

IIRC there are 2-3 barbers along the stretch....
but be warned, the ah peks at the flea market dun like photogs.....:sweat:

u can try lavender (abt 2 bus-stop from lavender foodcourt) area. walk towards ICA building there, 4got which lane already. i dunno whether its dying trade or not but they sure r interesting. got a shop dealing w/ copper sheets, other shops also but i dunno how 2 describe, etc. its worth a walk!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.