Anyone knows what cameras/lens have been to the highest or coldest place on earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablo

Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
Or for the matter, the lowest or hottest?

For what I knew, Ed Viesturs brought EOS50 up the Everest. Probably a few times.

Diablo said:

For what I knew, Ed Viesturs brought EOS50 up the Everest. Probably a few times.
i can say definitely not an EOS 300D might go up... maybe might make the EOS 300D to come with me on my expedition to Mount Kenya... might be high enough... hehe...

eh, must be the >8k peaks than counted leh

As far as I know, Hasselblads and Nikon F2/F3/F4/F5s have been used by NASA for their space missions.

Modifications had to be made for the cameras eg special lubricants and materials that give off fumes are replaced.

There was a link sometime back on the NASA cameras, but forgot where. Here is a link to Nikon cameras used in space - http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/society/rhnc/rhnc12ti-e.htm
http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/news/2000/f5eva_e_00.htm

Diablo said:

Brought my Canon 10D and 17-40mm F4 lens to Mt Williams, in the Grampians Victoria Australia, under hailstorm and freezing temperature. Both camera and lens are working fine :D

cheesypoofs said:
Brought my Canon 10D and 17-40mm F4 lens to Mt Williams, in the Grampians Victoria Australia, under hailstorm and freezing temperature. Both camera and lens are working fine :D
Wow. Show us some pics leh. :D

BTW u back in sg liao?

Garion said:
Wow. Show us some pics leh. :D

BTW u back in sg liao?

I'm still processing the pics, didn't have much time (reached SG 11:30pm, back in office 8am the next day :bigeyes: ). Anyway, I will be posting some pics once I go through them :)

cheesypoofs said:

Well, my Oly C5050 did survive Harbin. -34 deg C. Instant condensation (or rather it condenses then becomes ice flakes) on every part of the camera when i went into the hotel, even though the RH in the hotel was only like 30-40%? The LCD on my digital thermo and hygrometer nearly stopped working!

Also took it to Soraksan South Korea, -17 deg C, skiing conditions and i got it buried under the snow.

Surprisingly, NiMH still can operate ok. Alkalines only got me some 50 shots for 4AA. :nono:

Maybe dSLR/SLR will do better? :bsmilie: I probably won't bring mine unless it's very scenic or have something special (then i will bring it with my 12-24), usually there is enough light generally to even use ISO 64 and similar.

Does the 1MP digicam on the Spirit on Mars count as the 'highest'? :D

i remember reading before somewhere that Nikon D100 has been brought up to Everest a couple times...

I also remember viewing a pbase gallery of someone's expedition to Antarctica using a 10D and 1Ds (world's coldest place) Usually the problem is with the batteries. Another record cold place outside Antartica is Yakutsk (world's coldest inhabited city), and there are pics taken from there with the usual 35mm p&s. So cold shouldn't be a problem. Heat might be though.

Diablo said:

i brought my canon gt2, Nikon F80S a couple of times in the plane... hehehhe at 35000 feet ahahhaah :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

my old F5, F3 and FM2 went up to the north pole when i was chasing polar bears a few years back. Is that cold enuff? All 3 cameras worked perfectly, although the F5 and F3 was too dependent on batts to be considered reliable. The FM2 had no problems. I heard that when sg went up everest, they used a mjuii 2. Now how abt that?

Status
Not open for further replies.