Anyone know how to make a film extractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
visualjournalist.net
Anyone know how to make a film extractor/picker?

Can say I cheapskate..
Anyone know how to make one from common household items/stationery?

Thanks..

I had written several times.

I NEVER use a film extractor. NEVER a need for it!

All I use is a can opener from the kitchen. Open up one end of the canister and flop out the film. Then load it in.

Can anyone make loading a 35mm film simpler?

one possible way is to use another strip of film, stick double side tape on one end, squeeze it thru the canister, roll the film, move the strip abit, roll the film and move until u feel a little resistance, slowly pull it out...

takes a lot of patience doing this :) good luck :)

student said:

All I use is a can opener from the kitchen. Open up one end of the canister and flop out the film. Then load it in.

Ehhh...
Considering I'm using a pro film, & my images inside r priceless, i dun wanna risk it..

I tried your method on a dummy roll, it works! :D not bad..

hello, Student's mtd works great for B&W film! nvr have worry whether that plastic device is still alive.
but since ya said it, it's PRO film & ya DON"T WANT to risk it.
just go get a decent film picker.
PRO film + PRICEless = good to pay a little.

enjoy

lOrBeRt said:
one possible way is to use another strip of film, stick double side tape on one end, squeeze it thru the canister, roll the film, move the strip abit, roll the film and move until u feel a little resistance, slowly pull it out...

takes a lot of patience doing this :) good luck :)

No need the double side tape, row it till u hear a tick sound, push the used film inward somemore, than the other end of the used film into the container, it will form a clip,
explain: one end of the film is below the negative and the other is on top, push it in somemore, slowly pull it out. Take some time to success not 100%.
Will look funny as u put ur ear on the container to hear the click sound.

The device only 10plus dollar if u wan to buy one.

Pro films?

I use "pro" films all the time! How about films like Afga 25 - an extinct film? More valuable than any "pro"films!

Joking! All films are important! It is what was recorded on the films that is important. One can make great images with "Lucky" films. All films must be treated equally and respectfully.

My method of loading and processing do not discriminate between types of films. And neither should any other methods.

student said:

If the purpose is to develop the film, there's no need for an extractor.

If the purpose is to take out the lead of the film from the canister, then I suppose you can't do it without extractor.

put saliver onto a film leader (can be from another canister of film or a unwanted developed film), slide it into the canister, turn the canister untill the leader get stuck to the leader that was inserted. pull out the film leader.

sorry for my bad description, can show you if you can, but ofcause must meet up lor.

oh ya, this works every time:D

denniskee said:
put saliver onto a film leader (can be from another canister of film or a unwanted developed film), slide it into the canister, turn the canister untill the leader get stuck to the leader that was inserted. pull out the film leader.

sorry for my bad description, can show you if you can, but ofcause must meet up lor.

oh ya, this works every time:D

i use the same method as above

Why saliva? Chemical reaction to make the film sticky?

fatjp said:
No need the double side tape, row it till u hear a tick sound, push the used film inward somemore, than the other end of the used film into the container, it will form a clip,
explain: one end of the film is below the negative and the other is on top, push it in somemore, slowly pull it out. Take some time to success not 100%.
Will look funny as u put ur ear on the container to hear the click sound.

The device only 10plus dollar if u wan to buy one.

Hey I made a similar device myself! must say that it beats using the doublesided tape method and lasts longer too.

pls note the saliver method works better if your apply onto the dull side (ie more sticky).

shi... this is photog's secrete. only we know the saliver can be use for this.;)

catchlights said:
Film get sticky when contacted with water, using saliva is the easier way... unless you want to use urine instead. :p
I tried the urine method! One of the best methods, but how to control the amount of urine? Need only a few drips, not easy to do, lah! Any suggestions?

Hong Sien

Status
Not open for further replies.