Anyone keen to volunteer to teach photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftdragon

May 30, 2003
Visit site
hi all,

I am a volunteer in a youth organistaion and I thought that it is nice for the youths (Sec school age) I deal with to learn a skill such as photography. This will enable them to take some photos for events or for their projects.

Since we are a non profit organisation, we can't afford to hire people to teach and I thought that some of you out there may be interested in volunteering a total of 4 - 6 hours (1 to 2 hours a week over a few weeks) to teach these kids some simple photography skills. (most probably sat mornings or afternoon)

Would anyone be interested?

I am trying to gather feedback if this is feasible. I know that some of you may be thinking... this person is trying to get free lessons on photography, and there is no such thing as a free lunch.... all I can say is that I will probably be able to offer packet drinks for sessions and a nice thank you card and maybe a small souvenior. (we are afterall a non profit org and I don't get paid to help them too)

Would appreciate some constructive comments/feedback or positive responses. Thanks.

If you can state your organization's name, and the organization's goals and objectives, then I think there will be ppl interested to help.

I don't mind if I have the time ... although I don't claim to be a expert ... why don't you attend the coming SEED and let's see if we can work something out? :think:

Eventually I may not be the one to 'teach' but I'm quite sure I can link you up to the relevant people ...

yeah I agree with Astin, why don't you post a formal request listing details like org name, pple it helps, etc? I"m sure lots of pple would be interested. I've one concern tho, if the organisation is non-profit, and I"m not sure what kind of backgrounds the youths come from, but would photography be the right thing to teach them? Cuz it'll cost lots of money to get equipment plus running costs like film, CF cards, computers, software, lab printing, computer printing, etc etc. It could be more prudent to also look at the long term effort needed to sustain the campaign.

If only I know who is the target group.

mmmm .. PM u , but u did not reply me?

Its actually a CCA in schools. I am volunteering in a school in Tampines and the organisation is the Girls' Brigade. I am asking for help only for the unit I am helping in (and not the whole organisation)

Let me put more thought into the proposal and I will let you all know the objectives, expected outcome of this idea. (I don't want to shoot from the hip here just in case I get flamed).

Thanks to all who replied.

That's nice! I was from the Boy's Brigade and my own church is helping out in the BB and GB in the school near it. Too bad I'm in the midst of my exams preparations and its Tampines, too far from my place. Hope the girls will benefit from the course.

I'll be AdamGoi's PA if I'm free :)

Me keen on field trips (practical) :)

Shoot nature

ok, i hate to be a wet blanket, but while there might be people qualified and willing to contribute their time, a major stumbling block would be the lack of equipment for the students to try out. it's v simple to lecture on about photogy basics and all that, but without hands-on experience, it's v difficult to pick up the practical details.

you might wanna approach some of the camera manufacturers, they might have some school "familiarisation" program which loans out prosumer cams in bulk. you never know...

Maybe, if the students really want to learn, we can try looking at some second hand shops...... of course its up to the school.....

Do hope they make the students wish come true...its so fun to learn photography, what a waste to miss it.... i am sure some of us are willing to teach them a little here and there, right? just give me a buzz...

I don't mind helping out too, but as I"ve mentioned earlier and as others have said, equipment and running costs for the present (lesson period) as well as future (their own pursuement) need to be considered.

I agree that equipment is a major concern. I am trying to ask if the school has any cameras to loan for the classes (cos I think there is a photographic club in the school). I will need to check it out cos I am not a teacher and have no idea how this is going to help.

The students will be doing it for a badge and i hope that they can pick up some practical skills. If they want to persue it further it will be at their own cost. I am trying to find 1 cheap A70 camera for us to use whenever we have activities. That's abt all we can afford.

I'll try to work out the logistics, dates, details etc in Dec. Will probably be doing this next year. I still need to figure out how this can fit into the LEAPS CCA point system. (maybe the teachers here can help)

Swiftdragon, do you have any idea what you intend to teach at the CCA ? Is it about camera equipment, or about seeing an image with your eyes and capturing it ?

If it's the former, then just get together with some CS'ers and get them to explain what they have. You can run the whole gamut from P&S all the way to LF, and different types of film to digital.

If it's the latter, there's no harm in getting a whole bunch of disposable cameras and taking the group on field trips.

Hope this gives some ideas of what you can do. Trying to arm a group with expensive equipment may deep-six your ideas sooner than you think ... and borrowing may not be an easy option.

Therefore I'm more inclined towards the "image" idea, because you can build several separate but interconnected activities through it, e.g. field trips to nature & scenery, photo exhibitions, literature (library), theme talks by experts in particular areas (studio, fashion, nature, sports, etc) ... by getting them to do more with less, you set the foundation.

They can perhaps do some fund-raising to get low-end P&S, this may be better than disposables. Fixed focal length, bright lenses (at least f/3.5 and better), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.