Anyone just kanna retrenched here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
My wife's company just annouced that they will chop off 5000-6000 pple worldwide. This coming week she will know her fate. Anyone retrenched here? What's your thoughts and plans for the future?

my goodness, that's alot of people from just one company. can imagine that's it's in the manufacturing sector?

There is a new announcement in our company and many people will get retrench. :sweat:

Is it Sun microsystem or amex? heard RBS too.

Last edited:
I heard of a story that occured very recently, don't know if it is true, of a guy in a local bank who got retrenched just after joining the bank for a month or so. :confused:

I heard of a story that occured very recently, don't know if it is true, of a guy in a local bank who got retrenched just after joining the bank for a month or so. :confused:

i've heard worse -

of someone here (london) in a bank going for lunch, come back, his card won't work, because they had just retrenched him over lunch. his belongings came down in a cardboard box.

welcome to the brutal world of finance.

i've heard worse -

of someone here (london) in a bank going for lunch, come back, his card won't work, because they had just retrenched him over lunch. his belongings came down in a cardboard box.

welcome to the brutal world of finance.

this is actually very normal with banks in london.

I remembered years ago a small company I worked with its only major client closed door. Overnight the boss fired 5 of the 7 staffs. I was one of the two remained. We took a huge paycut and never knew when the company was going to fold as there was nothing much to do at work.

The more shaky the company was the busier I got with photography. It kept my sanity and let me forget about my predication. I made use of the opportunity to build a large enough collection and a presence in the net. It gave me a kick at my butt that I needed to so something myself. Didn't know that was the beginning of the road to self-employment in photography.

I think it's the mind that is problem as some may have the resources to last throught the long winter. Keep occupied and do something useful.

A friend who lived with his parents when he got retrenched he was afraid to tell his parents. He just pretended to go to work everyday. I thought I read such story in the papers but it was played in front of my eyes.

Don't suffer alone. Look for support among friends or even spiritual support.

I remembered years ago a small company I worked with its only major client closed door. Overnight the boss fired 5 of the 7 staffs. I was one of the two remained. We took a huge paycut and never knew when the company was going to fold as there was nothing much to do at work.

The more shaky the company was the busier I got with photography. It kept my sanity and let me forget about my predication. I made use of the opportunity to build a large enough collection and a presence in the net. It gave me a kick at my butt that I needed to so something myself. Didn't know that was the beginning of the road to self-employment in photography.

I think it's the mind that is problem as some may have the resources to last throught the long winter. Keep occupied and do something useful.

A friend who lived with his parents when he got retrenched he was afraid to tell his parents. He just pretended to go to work everyday. I thought I read such story in the papers but it was played in front of my eyes.

During a previous economic turmoil I work for nearly six months without any pay checks.
The staff went to work as usual but no pay at the end of the month. Finally the boss
had to close the business because it was getting from bad to worse.

But we are all very proud of ourselves for having the ability to work without pay.

:)

this is the one of the few times i see you post something serious! :bigeyes::bigeyes:

but still :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

During the dotcom bust, the company workforce was simply cut in half. I was lucky to be on the other half but it felt weird working alone. Thank god I left that company and found a better job elsewhere.

Like Sion said, keep yourself busy. Don't be alone. Money is on the tip of the iceberg.

Hur really ah....i still in my probation period. Anyone heard of people retrenching pple who were still in their probation period? To save the compensation given out during retrenchment.

Die lah...i still in debts.....

this is the one of the few times i see you post something serious! :bigeyes::bigeyes:

I was about to post "it's the first time i see you post something serious!"

Ya, thumbs up to the buaya mascot!

My wife's company just annouced that they will chop off 5000-6000 pple worldwide. This coming week she will know her fate. Anyone retrenched here? What's your thoughts and plans for the future?

I hope your wife will not receive the letter. :)

this is the one of the few times i see you post something serious!

I was about to post "it's the first time i see you post something serious!"

Ya, thumbs up to the buaya mascot!

Haha, me too! Ever since i came kopitiam, first time!:bsmilie:

But i agree on the below:

"It gave me a kick at my butt that I needed to so something myself."

Like my boss always tell us, "The company don't earn you a living and anyone is dispensable."

Things have changed. You don't expect the company to feed you till your retirement age like 60 years old.

Nowadays, starting from 40 years old, if you still have a lot of commitment and you are moving nowhere in your job, it is better to wake up (Or get Sion to kick your butt:bsmilie:). or you may end up retiring earlier than expected.

Hur really ah....i still in my probation period. Anyone heard of people retrenching pple who were still in their probation period? To save the compensation given out during retrenchment.

Die lah...i still in debts.....

First in, last out. That's a typical HR mantra. They don't have a nice cushy job as many of us would believe but still, it's tough news. As sion said, keep yourself busy if you're retained, redevelop yourself, enhance your skills, upgrade yourself, whatever.

Recession is actually the best time to rearm, reorganise and ready yourself for the next growth.

First in, last out. That's a typical HR mantra. They don't have a nice cushy job as many of us would believe but still, it's tough news. As sion said, keep yourself busy if you're retained, redevelop yourself, enhance your skills, upgrade yourself, whatever.

Recession is actually the best time to rearm, reorganise and ready yourself for the next growth.

Sometimes, its the other way round, the high earners are the first ones to go. No one has immunity.

Well, I was retrench many ago and never got back to full employment since. It seems like the working environment is not stable at the moment. small or big company also get cut. Now I'm self-employed and working out quite nicely from home. This way, I can only retrench myself :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.