Anyone into home studio recording of music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
markccm said:
not really lah.
not all....

still need hands on.
book knowledge is not sufficient.

it is a technical art.
head knowledge required but a good sense of hearing & an artistic mind still matters.
Oh okie.. I missed the part about having gears as well.. hahaha.. Same for photography. Books can only teach so much.. You'll need cameras to try out also.. ;)

Oh.. That also reminded me.. it's the era of overused vocal pitch corrector.. I nearly bought the Antares Autotune ATR-1 even before it was popular, but I reckoned I won't have much use for it... Then when the AVP is even cheaper than the ATR-1, that thought came up again.. Still I had not much use for it... Then I bought the RBC Audio software. At least it isn't that expensive but of course it doesn't work as well..

lsisaxon said:
I'm not surprised.. more than half of them are deaf anyway.. hehehe.. Sometimes when I walk into a shopping mall, I very surprised why the "sound engineer" doing the show is able to handle such intense SPL levels. It's like I have to plug my ears even when I'm more than 4 meters away from the speakers!

As for mics, sometimes knowing the frequency response do help in certain problematic live sound venues.

sorry, those at shooping centers knows nuts.
they r not even technicians.

freq response for mics matters for live sound?
sorry i beg to differ.

it boils down to how the system is configured, house EQ.
doing a spectrum analysis, the arrangement of monitors, offending freq, gain of mic.

give me any mic i have no prob in a live sound environment.

lsisaxon said:
Oh.. That also reminded me.. it's the era of overused vocal pitch corrector.. I nearly bought the Antares Autotune ATR-1 even before it was popular, but I reckoned I won't have much use for it...

it is still popular in studios & live sound.
trust me

i have used the outboard version of it on a local celeb's concert.
she needed that bad, otherwise it would be miming all the way.

markccm said:
sorry, those at shooping centers knows nuts.
they r not even technicians.

freq response for mics matters for live sound?
sorry i beg to differ.

it boils down to how the system is configured, house EQ.
doing a spectrum analysis, the arrangement of monitors, offending freq, gain of mic.

give me any mic i have no prob in a live sound environment.
House EQ.. Hah! Some 'professionals' don't even know what a house EQ is.. You go look at their rack, it's 31 bands in the shape of a V. Duh!!

You are definitely not wrong that any mic will be ok. That's provided that the spectral analysis of the venue is properly done. Some people don't like you to be messing with their system.... even when you know what you're doing..

lsisaxon said:
House EQ.. Hah! Some 'professionals' don't even know what a house EQ is.. You go look at their system, it's 31 bands in the shape of a V. Duh!!

You are definitely not wrong that any mic will be ok. That's provided that the spectral analysis of the venue is properly done. Some people don't like you to be messing with their system.... even when you know what you're doing..

yup.
if one is experienced enough, once u place a track u r familiar, u would know wat r the offending freq of the venue.

too many ppl use addictive EQ rather than subtractive.
it is better to subtract than to add.

most ppl kow nothing but more & more bass till the system is muddy & flabby.
Ew......

back to the mic issue, even if there is not soectrum analysis, one can get by.
it is about experience & knowing which freq to cut.

markccm said:
it is still popular in studios & live sound.
trust me

i have used the outboard version of it on a local celeb's concert.
she needed that bad, otherwise it would be miming all the way.

Yeah.. it definitely is... Saves a lot of studio time. Works for monophonic acoustic instruments like trombones, trumpets too.. :))

I am still impressed by the quality of the Antares rackmount version. The software versions are still not able to compete. Other software contenders do not even come close. I'll still buy AVP-1 if I have a need for it. :)

markccm said:
yup.
if one is experienced enough, once u place a track u r familiar, u would know wat r the offending freq of the venue.

too many ppl use addictive EQ rather than subtractive.
it is better to subtract than to add.

most ppl kow nothing but more & more bass till the system is muddy & flabby.
Ew......

back to the mic issue, even if there is not soectrum analysis, one can get by.
it is about experience & knowing which freq to cut.
Woah woah!! Additive EQ!! That's plain asking for trouble!! I'll do it only if I have no choice like when the offending frequencies are already bottomed out and the speaker installation is already fixed. Knowing what frequencies come by experience but now that digital eqs with RTA are so cheap (read Behringer), I'd just use one of those for monitoring. :)

Behringer.
eh.... think i better dun say anything.
haha...

yeah, when i was tested on wat freq is played back when i studied audio.
they played back a tone, i had to write down it's freq & if it was a sine, sawtooth, square, triangle wave.

markccm said:
Behringer.
eh.... think i better dun say anything.
haha...

yeah, when i was tested on wat freq is played back when i studied audio.
they played back a tone, i had to write down it's freq & if it was a sine, sawtooth, square, triangle wave.
Yeah.. but it's good to throw around, and when it's just a hobby, less heartpain when I need to open it up to modify some things inside. If I were to run a studio, at least t.c.electronics. For Behringer, it's mostly consumer grade op-amps (JRC) inside, so I will usually change them to ultra-low distortion Burr-Brown opamps.

Nice training but you've got to keep it trained.. After a while it won't be that accurate unless you retrain. :) The shapes are easier.. Can easily tell between sine, square, saw, triangle is just somewhere between sine and square.

HAHA i just got my soundcard and mic yesterday

Damn shiock, made my first recording

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg625m/SomethingAboutYou.mp3

What's this EQ thing about? I don't know man. And how do i enhance my voice and make it more plush. I dont know all these!!

For this track i just recorded in parts, and removed the background noise and hiss, and breathing.

WOW, now i know how much of a difference a good microphone makes.

LOL

FLiNcHY said:
HAHA i just got my soundcard and mic yesterday

Damn shiock, made my first recording

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg625m/SomethingAboutYou.mp3

What's this EQ thing about? I don't know man. And how do i enhance my voice and make it more plush. I dont know all these!!

For this track i just recorded in parts, and removed the background noise and hiss, and breathing.

WOW, now i know how much of a difference a good microphone makes.

LOL

So wats the final setup??
Btw sounds good... :)

final set up is just the Presonus firebox. the audio technica condenser mic, a mic stand, a pop filter, and adobe audition to edit

sweet man. so nice and clear once i got the mic positioned properly.

lsisaxon said:
Courses here quite useless one lah.. Mostly taught by incompetent people. Just grab some US magazines like Mix, Recording, Electronic Musician etc and pick up from there.. You'll probably learn more of the right thing.

By saying that you are sweeping the whole academic process into the rubbish bin. Those magazines you mentioned might be good, but you also need to have a good foundation, with proper instructions, practical training and handholding, and possibly with some "paper certification" to boot. If you look at the backgrounds of the writers of most of the articles in those magazines, you will notice that most of them would have some kind of formal training somewhere, before becoming experts in their field. You cannot write off the value and benefit of formal training.

Status
Not open for further replies.