anyone into home interior or architectural photoshoot?

slang

Dec 25, 2009
Hi bros and sis...

I am a newbie in photography.

Would like to get a camera for shooting home interior as well as architectural exterior, landscape of home.

What camera would be recommended?

I tried using a compact camera...it doesnt work well . I supposed its becos it doesnt has wide angle lens (mine is not even 28mm wide), thus i often have problem shooting a small room. Tried from all 4 corners of a room and I cant seems to portray a nice shoot to make the room look spacious and big.

If low on budget, which camera would be good? May consider a beginner's DSLR.
Lens type? need flash? or just use windows natural light will do?
other needed accessories?

Pardon for my questions Bros and Sis

Welcome slang!

It all depends on what is the output. Do you need it for commercial purposes, or just to blog or post in 72ppi on the web?

Nonetheless, while the camera is ONLY one VERY MINOR consideration, architectural and interior photography is a specialized subject all by itself. Generally, the quick and easy answer is to get an Ultra-Wide-Angle lens, but such lenses are also notoriously difficult to use.

And as for your other questions, not that we do not want to help, but it takes an entire thick book or volume to answer ... and also years of experience. The digital realm, of course, makes it much faster to learn but cannot siam the principles.

Unfortunately your chosen subject matter, if you want really good photographs, cannot take short-cut.

Try looking up 'Taking good interior and architecture photos' in Google or if you prefer a hard copy, the public library also has a few good books on this subject.

All the best.

17mm (my widest) on a full-frame normally means i'm squashed up against a wall or closet when shooting a bedroom, one/two times squatting in a bathtub when shooting the bathroom and sitting on kitchen counters when shooting in a condo unit. if you have equipment limitations just have to work within your limits.

work smart, be more creative in camera angles. usually the SOP FOV when working with a 17mm is to plonk myself in the most boring corner of the room, usually the doorway. sometimes i wonder if i can be more creative, or wishing if the room layout can be just different this one time.

WA will make a room more spacious than it is, which is generally good. One time my client remarked it made the hotel room look too spacious. :dunno: But they are right also, don't exaggerate dimensions lest their customers complain.

Lighting-wise I suggest you pick up some archi interior mags for reference. Lookbox, home&decor, form, squarerooms, domain... you'll see they mostly use ambient lighting and/or home lighting, with some flash as fill. That's the cheapest and easiest method.

Last edited:
should note that when you compare overseas archi interior photos with local ones, the quality of ambient light is very different. If any overseas interior shoot says they only needed a few large reflectors behind-camera to make the shot, please don't think local interior can also do this way. :) A lot more work is needed.

Hi TS, depends on what look you wish to capture.Wide angle lens will take in a wider view and this is where you must understand basic uses of lenses.The standard 50mm on a full frame camera is equivalent to the view from the human eye and on cropped sensor like APS-C is 33mm rated for FF (30-35mm or stated 50mm but already taken into account of the 1.5 magnification ratio) or even wider with point and shoot cameras with half inch sensor.This is because of size of sensor and
focal length coverage area of full frame compared to smaller image sensors.if you don't want to disorientate the viewer's eye then try to maintain vertical and horizontal lines within the angle of view of the wide angle lens you use in the correct perspective,with 35mm you can see some curvature from the normal perspective already in close quarters/spaces.

Last edited:
Hi TS,

1) For interior shots, first criteria that comes to mind is the Field of View (FOV). This is related to the angle of view, shown in degrees.
For example, look at THIS page and see that the widest view is 104 degrees on an APS-C camera (you'll need to understand about APS-C and so on). With some basic geometry, you can estimate what view you can capture with such a lens+camera setup.

2) Browsing through numerous interior architecture magazines hopefully will give you an idea of how the end-results look like.

3) Understand how lighting (angle, colour, intensity, etc) can affect the outcome and use it to your advantage.

4) Work out your budget, get the best setup you can for that $, and do the best you can! :) Practice makes perfect :)

Hi bros and sis...

Would like to get a camera for shooting home interior as well as architectural exterior, landscape of home.

I tried using a compact camera...it doesnt work well . I supposed its becos it doesnt has wide angle lens (mine is not even 28mm wide), thus i often have problem shooting a small room. Tried from all 4 corners of a room and I cant seems to portray a nice shoot to make the room look spacious and big.

Just adding on to things mentioned by Dream Merchant and others.
If you are a newbie to photography, getting your basic to a competent level is your first priority.
Any DSLR(even the entry level ones) that you can attached an UWA lens will be good enough for you.
"such lenses are also notoriously difficult to use" mainly because at such focal length, the amount of rectilinear distortion it has when shooting at close quarters makes it highly undesirable. Learning to handle and correct it, is still a very much work-in-progress for me. However, the UWA lens may be able to help you to get the spacious looking shots.

For interior shots, I have seen people who have done it with the existing lights in the room plus lights from the windows, flash and a combination. This will depend on your style and your desired outcome.

Last edited:
Hi bros and sis...

Its really a couple of big questions and you will have to spend some time absorbing the information given to you so far.

For starters, a lower end DSLR (coupled with a wide angle lens) is good enough. Even a kit lens can do fairly well but I don't think they go as wide as you'd like though. Bad news is, wide angles are relatively expensive. So a basic set up would probably cost you at least $2000. I wish it could be cheaper for you to start with. What's your budget like? Perhaps you might want to consider a used set up.

You need to save some money on a decent tripod and at least a 3-way pan tilt head to get reasonably precise adjustments for the set up so that you can get your vertical and horizontal alighments correct. That's the very least you can ask for from an architectural / interior photographer.

I seldom do interior work because that's another animal altogether from architectural stuff. Most of my interior work were done with available lighting and I'm ok with them so far. Of all things relevant to light, learn to read it first. Then you can use it to your advantage.

Getting a set up allows you to start taking photos but not necessarily good photos. Allocate some time (and money) on book, magazines and educate yourself on the requirements of this genre. Its not easy but not exactly rocket science either. Good luck.

you can actually use your existing compact camera, a tripod, pan head and a DIY L bracket and take a series of shots and stitch it into one panorama.

The picture will not look distorted as to using a wide angle lens.

If on budget, google on DIY L-bracket... there is a lot of examples.

Get a good tripod, and panhead, even if u want to get a DLSR later, these will still be a good investment.

As for software, the canon PhotoStitch is good & free. But I think canon website has only updater. so u will need to find a canon CD with that software to install.

Hope that helps :)

Panorama feature is available in high end P&S,DSLR cameras already of course a good panorama stitch will be better if the scene is static or not moving like
landscape.You can choose ultrawide,180 or 360 degrees.You have to decide whether you want flexiblity of lenses and weight of DSLR or small and portability of P&S that fits in your handbag if you're a female.Price between a P&S and entry DSLR is not wide so choose carefully.

It really did on me bro, thanks!

You may download Canon PhotoStitch at torrent.

[Moderator's note]

ClubSNAP takes a very serious stand against software piracy. Suggestion or link to piracy software is strictly not allowed. Warning infraction issued.