Anyone into collecting Blu-ray discs yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is into collecting blu-ray discs, now that HD-DVD is dying, if not already dead?

Me thinking of getting a PS3 for the purpose of watching blu-ray. Anyone also using PS3 care to share your experience with me regarding the pic quality, sound quality, user-friendliness, etc.

Thanks!:)

Im suprised that with a dominant player such as Microsoft,it does not even want to use Embrace,Extend,Extinguish tactic to support HD-DVD

Not trying to hijack or whatever,but my 2 cent worth.
Cheers

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is into collecting blu-ray discs, now that HD-DVD is dying, if not already dead?

Me thinking of getting a PS3 for the purpose of watching blu-ray. Anyone also using PS3 care to share your experience with me regarding the pic quality, sound quality, user-friendliness, etc.

Thanks!:)
Blu-ray will cost you a bomb..without a big and good LCD TV you can't get the best of it.

Blu-ray will cost you a bomb..without a big and good LCD TV you can't get the best of it.

No it doesn't. Order your stuff over Amazon and save a bundle.

Any decent HD-Ready LCD TV will do the trick. I've been so spoilt by the Blu-Ray picture quality that I don't even bother with DVDs anymore.

I have around 20+ titles (all from Amazon) including classics like "Bladerunner" and "Untouchables". An excellent joy to watch.

Since you already have a PS3, go for it I say!

No it doesn't. Order your stuff over Amazon and save a bundle.

Any decent HD-Ready LCD TV will do the trick. I've been so spoilt by the Blu-Ray picture quality that I don't even bother with DVDs anymore.

I have around 20+ titles (all from Amazon) including classics like "Bladerunner" and "Untouchables". An excellent joy to watch.

Since you already have a PS3, go for it I say!
Hey, is that anything to take note if I order blue ray from Amazon? I want to start collection soon...

Hey, is that anything to take note if I order blue ray from Amazon? I want to start collection soon...

Not that I know of. Be sure to read the reviews though, especially for older titles. Not all film-era movies are as graceful on high-def.

Yeah.. watching HD movies is really an enjoyment. You need of course the basic equipment to enjoy them. At least a 32" onwards Full HD or HD ready 16:9 Plasma/LCD TV and an amp that can produce at least 5.1 sound. If you have a HDMI capable amp, even better as you can get higher res sound from the HD disc.

You can order from Amazon, sometimes they have 1 for 1 sale or you can get 2nd hand disc from others. Check this out : http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14.0

If ordering from Amazon in bulk, you can get prices as low as S$30++ per disc which is cheaper than the local R1 dvds.

Btw, the PS3 also do a good job in upscaling normal DVDs...so u can still keep watching your exisiting R3 dvds.

As of last Monday, HDDVD is officially dead. Blu-ray is vitorious!

However, the sales activities for the player and discs of HDDVD is very much alive, especially when gramaphone started giving large discounts on these discs.

But be careful if you are tempted by the low price of discs because unless you also stock up on the players, you may be stuck with a stack of nice looking discs that you can't play anymore when you player goes kaput.

Aiyah... just bought a $200 normal dvd player. Now need to buy the blue-ray player... :what:

As of last Monday, HDDVD is officially dead. Blu-ray is vitorious!

This would make HD-DVDs... collectors' items!

I've been buying Blu-Ray for months now via Amazon. It's FANTASTIC. Get a full-Hd LCD TV, not the "HD Ready" kind. Watching 300 on a 46" LCD TV... *drool*

I'm seriously tempted to get a blu-ray rom for my computer.
Amazon's selling on Sony brand at US199. Not bad.

Watching animation on a 1920 by 1200 screen, I can't imagine just yet.

:cool:

with shipping that should be around $350? Why not get a PS3 for $559?

Is there blu-ray anime available?

Yeah...why not get a PS3? It doubles up as a games console too.

Not sure about anime, but watching Ratatouille on hi-def is simply.....what should I say?....WOW....and wow over and over again! Those who are still watching VCDs--no offence please--are living in Stone age. ;)

I'm waiting for M$ to react. They might buy over the HDDVD rights from Toshiba for a very cheap price. All Xbox are still HDDVD enabled, they are pretty determined to win the consoles arena.

I'm waiting for M$ to react. They might buy over the HDDVD rights from Toshiba for a very cheap price. All Xbox are still HDDVD enabled, they are pretty determined to win the consoles arena.

No they are not. For the XBOX360 you need to buy an ADD-ON to allow for HD-DVD playback; on the PS3 it's built-in, which is why Blu-Ray won the war.

Microsoft is entirely dependent on Toshiba to manufacture the drives. And they themselves have announced it's dead:

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/02/23/557671.aspx

Sony wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.