• XENNEC Camera Bags GIVE AWAY - SHARE & TAG your Friend to WIN one XENNEC Stylish bags. Visit this thread thread for more information.

Anyone into collecting Blu-ray discs yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
Yeah, just like Beta-max :confused:
Actually no... Betamax is the story of a superior format failing due to Sony's refusal to license the tech.

Blu-Ray is where Sony got it right. And Blu-Ray is technically superior to HD-DVD.

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
No they are not. For the XBOX360 you need to buy an ADD-ON to allow for HD-DVD playback; on the PS3 it's built-in, which is why Blu-Ray won the war.

Microsoft is entirely dependent on Toshiba to manufacture the drives. And they themselves have announced it's dead:

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/02/23/557671.aspx

Sony wins.
that's why I say M$ to buy over the rights mah... any taiwan manufacturer can do it liao.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
that's why I say M$ to buy over the rights mah... any taiwan manufacturer can do it liao.
MS can't buy the rights as it's a consortium. Any manufacturer can STILL prosude them, but why would they? It's not profitable for them to do so. The market is too small and Blu-Ray won. It's more likely that MS will buy BR drives.

jimbok

Nov 6, 2005
Sengkang
Sad to say HD DVD is already gone, no studios are going to support that format except Dreamworks, so no use supporting it already. But for those already have a collection, can keep it to watch.
Microsoft is even considering having Blu-ray as an add-on drive.
Xbox 360 Blu-ray player

Well, all these war is over, benefits us consumer, no need to worry which format to buy being afraid it will be phased out. :)

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
MS can't buy the rights as it's a consortium. Any manufacturer can STILL prosude them, but why would they? It's not profitable for them to do so. The market is too small and Blu-Ray won. It's more likely that MS will buy BR drives.
if no one wants to produce it, the rights is as good as junk without support.

m$ have sorta issue with existing xbox support.. cuz it's still relative new.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
But I'm totally non gamer
Dont worry, you will become one. :devil:

Neither was I. The Hi-def games on PS3 simply rock!! Just about the only kinds of games I play are the driving and flying ones. The realism is eye-popping. I hate shooter games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom