Anyone interested in portraiture shotting???

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhoufang

Jan 19, 2002
Jurong
Visit site
Have u noticed that all the time we are going Botanic garden/Zoo/JBP to shoot the same plant/animal?

By comparison most other online communities are mostly having outings of female portraiture shooting.
Although I believe that as amature photographer we should not limit ourself to portraiture shooting, but neither should we limit ourself to the plant/animals.

http://www.dcview.com.tw/star/index.htm
The taiwanese web community are so experence in this field as their website teaches from how to choose suitable model to the technic of portraiture photography.
samples of their work can be seen at http://www.dcview.com.tw/emei/index.htm

I'm in JC 2nd year now, should be able to find some good looking girls around as models. Many others here in Poly should be able to help to.

From observing other communities, I believe each section of such female portraiture shooting should be limited to 10-12 person max. If everyone pays $10-15/section, it should be enough if we are doing outdoor shooting in botanic garden or other free sites. This is not much more than the entry ticket of Zoo/JBP/Car show.

I believe that the models should be paid. Most of our fund should go to the models ($80-150/afternoon depending on persons should be fare and attractive enough for non pro models)

So anyone interested in participating in such shooting?
More importantly, anyone is willing to be organiser/co-organiser?

Originally posted by Flare
Me Me Me Me Me Me~ This is one field of photography I like to venture into. And my GF is never camera friendly... So no one to shoot.

I believe u are not the only one out there.
Are u sure that ur GF never browse this website or she doesn't mind?
Or should I take ur 1 reply as = 10 reply cos the other 9 have their GF/wife looking behind?

Good suggestion...
If we need some models for shoots, I can arrange for some to be shot too...

i am interested but i am not going to be the organiser coz I got no similiar experieces in portraiture shooting. now, we are taling about professional portraiture here, not casual type. ;)

Originally posted by zhoufang

I believe u are not the only one out there.
Are u sure that ur GF never browse this website or she doesn't mind?
Or should I take ur 1 reply as = 10 reply cos the other 9 have their GF/wife looking behind?

My GF hates the computer :what: so I guess she doesnt come here. Well, she's the one in the photo story I posted yesterday in the portrait section here.;)

And I"m very faithful ok~

Originally posted by willyfoo
Good suggestion...
If we need some models for shoots, I can arrange for some to be shot too...

Do u mean that u arrange for someone of your choice,
or Violett help u to arrange for someone,
or u arrange for someone around Violett of your choice?
There is a difference here.

So I take ninelives, Flare, willyfoo and myself is interested.
Any more?

The most important thing that determind the success or otherwise in such event is:
1. the choice of models.
2. the interaction btw the model and the photograhper.

There have been multiple non succeful examples due to
1. some models not attrative/photogenic
2. models' private life get disturbed by some photographer.

So we have to set some rules to began with
1. If there's more that 1 models in a event they should be of the similiar quality.
2. model's personal information should be keeped to the organiser.
3. photographers should respect the model.
4. Photographers should get longer lens to avoid blocking others.
ie. don't try to get head shoot using a 85mm lens.

The critiral for choosing model should be:
1. fare skin. (preferbly under 25, otherwise how to survive under L lenses)
2. well balance body shape
3. the face should be photogenic
4. respect what they are doing.
5. know (learned/born) how to pose.
What does not matter are:
1. height
2. cup size

And flash... Let's hope we do not interupt each other with each other's flash. But hard to imagine some non-prof girl willing to be gawk over by so many guys...

And to prevent gender discrimination, We can arrange to shoot blue strike...

im interested. but...

ive done one or two portraiture shots, still learning.
together with street photography.
portraiture is my other interest. no models tts all. actually got lah. but friends dont want. so far only got one that i took. photogenic and has the looks.

i cant read chinese, so i dont know what the taiwan site is talking abt. but for me portraiture personally should be one on one. its more a relationship thing that just taking pictures. to bring the real person out, u have to talk and get to know the person, that will put the person you are taking into a more relaxed and comfortable mode. and bring the personality out and not treat him/her as a subject.

after saying that, im still interested, but i still prefer one to one portraiture photography.

Originally posted by quackaroo
im interested. but...

ive done one or two portraiture shots, still learning.
together with street photography.
portraiture is my other interest. no models tts all. actually got lah. but friends dont want. so far only got one that i took. photogenic and has the looks.

i cant read chinese, so i dont know what the taiwan site is talking abt. but for me portraiture personally should be one on one. its more a relationship thing that just taking pictures. to bring the real person out, u have to talk and get to know the person, that will put the person you are taking into a more relaxed and comfortable mode. and bring the personality out and not treat him/her as a subject.

after saying that, im still interested, but i still prefer one to one portraiture photography.

Agree~

And flash... Let's hope we do not interupt each other with each other's flash.

Flash should only be used for fill flash.
At the golden hour ie near sunset/rise the light is often weak, to overcome we need one of the following
1. bright prime lens of f/2 or faster
2. fast film/ ISO
3. monopod

Originally posted by quackaroo

It is prefered to shoot 1 to 1.
But that's not covered under the activities of a online community.
For paid section, we can try to keep the model/photographer ratio low ie 1:6-1:12.
For new birds of portraiture, even with a higher ratio of 1:15-1:20 they still can learn alot. I myself fall in this cat.

Talking about lens... Me using fixed lens Digital camera. So don't have much of a choice do I?

digital cam's lens are normally f/2.8 or faster due to the small form factor. And without vibration caused by the reflecting mirror in the SLRs (like rangefinder cams) can reduce min handheld shutter speed by about 2 stops.
So u are not at a lose here.

Hmm... there're some things that are causing me to scratch my head...

Although I believe that as amature photographer we should not limit ourself to portraiture shooting, but neither should we limit ourself to the plant/animals.

Neither should it be limited to female portraiture.

The most important thing that determind the success or otherwise in such event is:
1. the choice of models.
2. the interaction btw the model and the photograhper.

Have to disagree here. First is the photographer. Second is the interaction. Choice of model is a distant third.

There have been multiple non succeful examples due to
1. some models not attrative/photogenic
2. models' private life get disturbed by some photographer.

Again, my number one reason would be that the photographer. And when it comes to working with non-professionals, that includes establishing that relationship between model and photographer because that's the photographer's job. You don't need a perfect model to make your photographs, because then you're doing nothing as a photographer except pressing the shutter. Are we so caught up in this material world that you need perfect female specimens? Very good photographs can be had with normal members of the opposite sex, as can be had with normal members of the same sex.

A poor workman blames his tools...

2. model's personal information should be keeped to the organiser.
3. photographers should respect the model.

These are very good points.

This should be a side issue because a group portraiture shot should not be a press scrum. There should only be one person shooting at a given point in time. One person should set the shot up, take his shot, and the next can evolve the shot from there and take it on from there. After all, in at least half of portrait photography you need eye contact, and no matter how beautiful your sitters, they can only establish eye contact with one camera.

By ignoring 85mm and below FLs you are closing a whole avenue of creative photography.

The photographer should learn this first.

At the end of the day you guys will have a better learning experience if you can find someone experienced to help you along. The photographer is the key to a successful portrait, not the model. Sure some models may not be suitable for certain forms of portraiture, but that's the photographer's job as well (to suit subject to purpose). I've seen stunning portraits of old folk and blokes, and perhaps, when one is attempting to learn, it would be better to start there so one isn't dazzled by the stunning beauty of the sitter and hence be stunned by what would otherwise be a very mediocre shot. A good photographer can take a good portrait of anyone, but a good model will not have a good portrait taken by just anyone.

Quackaroo is right, the interaction is the most important thing.

At the golden hour ie near sunset/rise the light is often weak, to overcome we need one of the following
2. fast film/ ISO
3. monopod

Why f2? How about f2.8? Where's the cutoff? I don't own a single lens faster than f2.8. Does that mean I can't take a successful shot at the golden hour without fast film or a monopod?

And a monopod will also be of limited use.

the numbers I used are not in order of importance.

By ignoring 85mm and below FLs you are closing a whole avenue of creative photography.

I'm saying "don't try to get head shoot using a 85mm lens", ie to keep a distance away, not ignoring 85mm and below.

The photographer should learn this first.

I agree with this point
2. fast film/ ISO
3. monopod

Why f2? How about f2.8? Where's the cutoff? I don't own a single lens faster than f2.8. Does that mean I can't take a successful shot at the golden hour without fast film or a monopod?

And a monopod will also be of limited use.

As you said there's no cutoff.
If the light is that weak you have to choose at least one of the above. You don't have fast lens, don't like fast film and monopod, then u will be doomed to get blur shots unless you have IS lens or super steady hand.

May I suggest instead of getting a model, try taking portraits of people you know - father, mother, wife, children, uncle, auntie. Go outdoors or do it in a studio, or just bounce flash at home. Interact, make them take up various poses, try out all sorts of things. Get creative, THINK!

The advantage is you already know these people, and therefore the rapport is already there. Bribe them with a dinner or an ang pow if necessary.

By the way, www.zuga.net is an excellent resource for learning about portraiture.

OK I'm out of my depth here. Talking theoretically. No experience at all.

Currently have two MODEL available. I asked them(my classmate) and they happily agree with it. =p

They are pretty ok looking.. actually above average. Not those ah-lian but just simple decent girl(above average looking).

Their rates are from 6-8dollars/hr!!!! That's SUPER CHEAP. And they will be happy if you guys print a few of the best pictures for them. They got no modelling experience so maybe we will have to guide them to pose.

Anyone interested to get their service?

:bsmilie: Btw.. now i sound like a pimp man... haha... :bsmilie:

I think Jed meant to say that a tripod is more suitable. With a pre-arranged setting like this, I would expect most people to use a tripod instead of handheld or monopod.

Also, weak light is not limiting. There are many other ways to take a photo in weak light, not just getting bigger apertures.

Also, I think learning portraiture shots shouldn't start off with pretty models. Most guys tend to lose their focus. Good portraiture ain't usually pretty models. I strongly suggest starting off with each other first.

Remember, its portraiture, not glamour shots or model shoots.

Status
Not open for further replies.