Anyone here still uses the D2X for work these days?

harlequin2902

May 11, 2004
I entered 'D2X' into the search function earlier and almost everything that showed up were WTS: D2X ... :(

So sad haha. Anyone here still uses the D2X for work these days? Or have most D2X owners dumped it and moved on to D700, D3, D3s and D3x?

Just got myself a used one last week and I absolutely love the feel of it in my hands. Though I got it as a spare to back up my D300s, I've actually used it even more than my D300s all week! haha.

Can't wait to use it for an upcoming assignment next week.

Cheers.

If I can still use my 2 Fuji S3 pro's, you can certainly still use your d2x...My friend still uses a pair of them at his job...(He is in the military)...The larger body style is great! And used ones are a lot cheaper than buying a D3s! Like I always say, "The best camera is the one you have in your hand." Folks will be saying the same thing about the D3 a few years from now...

Cheers

Just curious, does the iso of the D2x has its limitations? I'm guessing a usable iso of up to 800? does it make it hard to use for work?

Just curious, does the iso of the D2x has its limitations? I'm guessing a usable iso of up to 800? does it make it hard to use for work?

There are many types of work where photography is concerned, and not all of them require high ISOs. And it is definitely possible to use it for work, otherwise how did the pros last time use it? Of course times have changed and you/your client may want cleaner high ISO shots, but you just have to adapt and use a stronger flash/faster aperture lens to compensate.

I love to take sports photography and had thought of getting a used D2X but having own a D300s doesn't really justify the purchase when i thought of ISOs and fps. I guess the grip feel should be much better since it is a pro-body.

valkyrie said:
I love to take sports photography and had thought of getting a used D2X but having own a D300s doesn't really justify the purchase when i thought of ISOs and fps. I guess the grip feel should be much better since it is a pro-body.

D300s's grip is very pro le, if you want the similar feeling, add a MB-10?

It depends on how big your hands are also. If your hands are not that big, a D2x body can feel too big and uncomfortable.

I know of a few press folks who still have it as their backup. Still a reliable choice. :)

Don't think it's very worth it. I was considering getting one as my main camera for sports and use my D200 as remote. But when you take all things into consideration, you're better off with a D90 and battery grip. It might lose in the fps section but every other place it has diarrhea on the D2.

And i absolutely think that the D2 range is all over-priced. For such an old camera, it's still going for 1-2k. It's absolutely crazy. My D200 is I think, the same standard as it and it's going for 600-700.

Don't think it's very worth it. I was considering getting one as my main camera for sports and use my D200 as remote. But when you take all things into consideration, you're better off with a D90 and battery grip. It might lose in the fps section but every other place it has diarrhea on the D2.

And i absolutely think that the D2 range is all over-priced. For such an old camera, it's still going for 1-2k. It's absolutely crazy. My D200 is I think, the same standard as it and it's going for 600-700.

you haven't tried the D2 series AF then... big difference. even the AFS lenses focus faster and more accurately. VF is bigger. response times are shorter(you actually notice, not just numbers) build is better. i also got my d2h for a steal (cheaper than a 2nd hand d200) so no complains there. sure you have to limit yrself to iso800 and you have to be more careful with wb. but if you take note of those things and understand the camera it can do alot for you. my d200 is still my main camera. but if i need to shoot action, i pick up the d2h cos it will nail the af when the d200 is still searching.

I entered 'D2X' into the search function earlier and almost everything that showed up were WTS: D2X ... :(

So sad haha. Anyone here still uses the D2X for work these days? Or have most D2X owners dumped it and moved on to D700, D3, D3s and D3x?

Just got myself a used one last week and I absolutely love the feel of it in my hands. Though I got it as a spare to back up my D300s, I've actually used it even more than my D300s all week! haha.

Can't wait to use it for an upcoming assignment next week.

Cheers.

Yes! I'm still running commercial shoots with D2x, 2 pcs :)