Anyone here owns only 3rd party lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix0r

Oct 2, 2002
West
I own only 3 lenses, and all of them are 3rd party, eg. Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Tokina 100mm. Value for money is what I am always after, and after using several Canon lenses, like the 17-85mm, the Sigma 17-70mm was still much better.

Anyone else here do not have any original manufacturer lenses?

Yup... just bought a Tokina 12-24mm recently. Am quite impressed by its built quality and optics, at only half the price of the original Nikon lens. In this case, paying 2x the price for a miniscule marginal increase in quality is more than I can afford or want to pay...:)

I bought bigma 50-500.... cos i cannot afford those super teles from nikon..... :bsmilie:

I bought a Tokina 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 & Tamron 90mm F2.8 both are great. Tokina is built like a tank and Tamron has great bokeh.

Beside the kit lens and a couple of cheaper range Nikon lenses,

I have a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the Tokina 12-24. I would say 3rd party lens are really good value for the $$$...

How is the Sigma 17-70?

I am waiting for the Tamron 17-50 f2.8...Hope it will be affordable

I am using exclusively 3rd party lenses, all Tokinas. Find them value for money especially Tokinas, built like tanks. Some might not like the weight but I love the feel.

I only have 1 Tamron 28-300mm, everything abt this lens is gd, only thing is AF a bit slower.

Mix of canon and 3rd party... good value for money....
My 3rd party lens are:
1) Sigma 50-500mm (aka Bigma)
2) Sigma 18-125mm
3) Tamron SP 90mm
4) Zenitar 16mm fisheye

Canon's USM is pretty good and so are some of the primes.:)

The lens you listed are pretty much the better ones among 3rd party..

Vulpix0r said:
I own only 3 lenses, and all of them are 3rd party, eg. Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Tokina 100mm. Value for money is what I am always after, and after using several Canon lenses, like the 17-85mm, the Sigma 17-70mm was still much better.

Anyone else here do not have any original manufacturer lenses?

I own Sigma 70-300mm, thinking of buying Tokina 12-24mm

Tokina 12-24mm good value for Nikon mount.. But for Canon EF-S mount, I would recommend the 10-22mm instead..

Caicaizi said:
I own Sigma 70-300mm, thinking of buying Tokina 12-24mm

jeryltan said:
The lens you listed are pretty much the better ones among 3rd party..

I think that doesn't matter. What So what if it's the better ones amongst the 3rd party manufacturers? For the same amount of money, you can either get a good 3rd party lens or a crap original manufacturer lens. I'll settle for the good ones anyday.

I mean, frankly, name me a original manufacturer lens that is optically better than any of the 3rd party lenses, and is at least of the same price (better if cheaper)?

Vulpix0r => Me. May be getting the 70-300 IS though. It's (sadly) an option not provided by 3rd party manufacturers.

If OEM lens cost the same as 3rd party, nobody will buy 3rd party liao ;) BTW, were you the one who wanted to buy my Tokina 100mm Macro or EF 70-300mm IS USM?

unseen said:
I think that doesn't matter. What So what if it's the better ones amongst the 3rd party manufacturers? For the same amount of money, you can either get a good 3rd party lens or a crap original manufacturer lens. I'll settle for the good ones anyday.

I mean, frankly, name me a original manufacturer lens that is optically better than any of the 3rd party lenses, and is at least of the same price (better if cheaper)?

Vulpix0r => Me. May be getting the 70-300 IS though. It's (sadly) an option not provided by 3rd party manufacturers.

unseen said:

If ONLY Sigma released a 70-300mm OS DG EX lens, I would buy that in a heartbeat! :lovegrin: Screw the overweight 80-400mm! :p

me also a fan of tokina

as mentioned by others, they are built like a tank

i have 3 tokina lenses

• 17mm
• 28-70mm
• 80-200

waiting for the soon to be announced fisheye zoom

jeryltan said:
If OEM lens cost the same as 3rd party, nobody will buy 3rd party liao ;) BTW, were you the one who wanted to buy my Tokina 100mm Macro or EF 70-300mm IS USM?
1st was the tokina.. end up i went to buy my own tokina 100mm...
Sadly I abused the lens straight up.. and the 1st major thing i did with it was a portrait session... kekeke...
then i when u mentioned u wanted to trade your 70-300is for a 70-200f4l, i cried.. coz that was exactly what I was looking for.. Sigh.. Ended up sold my 70-200 f4l and bought other stuff..

I'm awaiting the tokina fish eye zoom too..
and the 50-135 f2.8 - this is like the perfect portrait lens for me.. all major lengths covered... Then again, will wait at least 3 - 6 mths to see pple comment about it 1st..

LOL target setup for me, 18-50, 50-135, 70-300IS

Couldn't afford a Nikkor 18-200 VR... :sweat:

So got a Sigma instead. Great value for money while I'm still in the infantile stage of learning...

So how you find the Tokina 100mm Macro? Pretty good right? Bokeh is good.. Why did you sell the 70-200L f/4? Just curious 'cos I'm still thinking whether to trade..

unseen said:
1st was the tokina.. end up i went to buy my own tokina 100mm...
Sadly I abused the lens straight up.. and the 1st major thing i did with it was a portrait session... kekeke...
then i when u mentioned u wanted to trade your 70-300is for a 70-200f4l, i cried.. coz that was exactly what I was looking for.. Sigh.. Ended up sold my 70-200 f4l and bought other stuff..

I'm awaiting the tokina fish eye zoom too..
and the 50-135 f2.8 - this is like the perfect portrait lens for me.. all major lengths covered... Then again, will wait at least 3 - 6 mths to see pple comment about it 1st..

LOL target setup for me, 18-50, 50-135, 70-300IS

Status
Not open for further replies.