Anyone here owns a DROBO unit?

lohkam

Sep 24, 2008
ClubSNAP
Hello Folks

Recently i had experienced a HDD failure as it had crashed and now all my data is trapped inside due to unable to boot up that particualr HDD.To prevent this happening in the future,i was thinking of getting a DROBO from Data Robotics Inc.
So anyone here owns one and can share with me how good is it and what your feedback after using a DROBO for your data security and backups.Cheers:)

Hello Folks

Recently i had experienced a HDD failure as it had crashed and now all my data is trapped inside due to unable to boot up that particualr HDD.To prevent this happening in the future,i was thinking of getting a DROBO from Data Robotics Inc.
So anyone here owns one and can share with me how good is it and what your feedback after using a DROBO for your data security and backups.Cheers:)

I owned 2 Drobos. One first generation Drobo which use as NAS and Drobo S for backup and storing images. Like the products due to its flexiblities to change harddisk and easy to use functions. Just slot in and that's it.

Except one problem when using Drobo S connected through E-sata. It cause the PC to hang or sometime to run during PC start up.

These are the threads I started for your reference.

Drobo 1

Drobo 2

Wow, first time seeing this. Looks very useful!

I currently have a 1TB and a 500GB hard disk in seperate enclosures. Can I just remove those two drives and slot into the Drobo? Or must both drives be of the same capacity? As they both hold different data, I also presume that I need to move the data to one drive and let the Drobo do the RAID?

Kinda new to this RAID business.

Wow, first time seeing this. Looks very useful!

I currently have a 1TB and a 500GB hard disk in seperate enclosures. Can I just remove those two drives and slot into the Drobo? Or must both drives be of the same capacity? As they both hold different data, I also presume that I need to move the data to one drive and let the Drobo do the RAID?

Kinda new to this RAID business.

Doesn't matter. Just slot in the Harddisks. Drobo will do the configuration. However the datas in the harddisk will not be taken into account and it won't read the data. It will just use the empty space in the harddisk. Best you format the harddisk before use.

I owned 2 Drobos. One first generation Drobo which use as NAS and Drobo S for backup and storing images. Like the products due to its flexiblities to change harddisk and easy to use functions. Just slot in and that's it.

Except one problem when using Drobo S connected through E-sata. It cause the PC to hang or sometime to run during PC start up.

These are the threads I started for your reference.

Drobo 1

Drobo 2
Hey Phoakm,thanks for the link refrences.after reading them I still find getting a Drobo would be a good investment.I do have a question I would like to ask,is there any security system where u can lock in a user password so people won't be able to access your Drobo unit from the PC or Mac, or it just work as a. Exclosure to Raid and backup your datas?
I do want to know,is it stil worth to buy from B&H this time around,cause USD is droppping hard.hurayyy!!

I use the Drobo S, which is the one that allows 4 hard disks to be slotted in.
I use it on my MacBook Pro laptop. Every time I return to my room I will connect the laptop to the Drobo and do syncing if I have new files.
So far the Drobo S seems to be working well in conjunction with the Mac system, and no hanging up like what was mentioned by phoakm on the PC.

Personally I find this a one good investment.

Hey Phoakm,thanks for the link refrences.after reading them I still find getting a Drobo would be a good investment.I do have a question I would like to ask,is there any security system where u can lock in a user password so people won't be able to access your Drobo unit from the PC or Mac, or it just work as a. Exclosure to Raid and backup your datas?
I do want to know,is it stil worth to buy from B&H this time around,cause USD is droppping hard.hurayyy!!

I believe you can set the password like other external harddisk uisng windows. Winodws will allocate a drive name to it.

Cathay photo does sell drobo. You may go and take a look. My 1st drobo was bought from b&h before cathay photo bring it in years later. The only thing you need to take note is the item is using a US power plug.

I use the Drobo S, which is the one that allows 4 hard disks to be slotted in.
I use it on my MacBook Pro laptop. Every time I return to my room I will connect the laptop to the Drobo and do syncing if I have new files.
So far the Drobo S seems to be working well in conjunction with the Mac system, and no hanging up like what was mentioned by phoakm on the PC.

Personally I find this a one good investment.

I think Drobo S has 5 harddisk slots.

Drobo S is not the problem. My PC esata slot does not have the firmware to support Drobo esata. Otherwise, it run smoothly using USB like normal external harddisk.

I think Drobo S has 5 harddisk slots.

Drobo S is not the problem. My PC esata slot does not have the firmware to support Drobo esata. Otherwise, it run smoothly using USB like normal external harddisk.

Oops... in that case I stand corrected.
Mine is a 4 hard disk Drobo.
What model it is, I must honestly say for the life of me, I can't remember.
And thanks for reaffirming the suitability of Drobo to run on PC USB, phoakm!

Oops... in that case I stand corrected.
Mine is a 4 hard disk Drobo.
What model it is, I must honestly say for the life of me, I can't remember.
And thanks for reaffirming the suitability of Drobo to run on PC USB, phoakm!

It is call Drobo. 1st gen have only USB ports, the 2nd gen include Firewire.

Heard it was noisy in use... any comment?

Any drobo's failed so far? I'm scared because once you're in, you gotta stick to drobo or copy out your data from a drobo to another harddrive. In the situation where you haven't copied out your data and your drobo fails, you gotta get a new one or send it for repair and wait for it.

Heard it was noisy in use... any comment?

Any drobo's failed so far? I'm scared because once you're in, you gotta stick to drobo or copy out your data from a drobo to another harddrive. In the situation where you haven't copied out your data and your drobo fails, you gotta get a new one or send it for repair and wait for it.

There will be reasonable noise when all the harddrives running concurrently. Same for using them in CPUs. Unless, you buy those wilth less DBs noise level.

For my case, my Drobos never failed me, even I had been using 1st gen for 3 years. The only failure you will see is the harddisk. Anyway, the item will reserve 1/3 of the space for backup. Failure do happen to other NASs and external harddisks.

Recently, my portable seagate harddisk just fail.