Anyone here has been to Maldives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

0kb

Feb 22, 2005
Pasir Ris, Singapore
www.khengboon.com
The nice scenery in holiday adverts on Maldives seems very attractive. Has anyone here been there recently via the SQ promo? Would appreciate any experience you can share. Thanks in advance.

it is definitely as nice as it can be, often better than wat the adverts described.

only problem is if u want to stay in a better resort for say 4D 3N, gota spare aside $3k for one person.

always been a dream to go.. 3K a pax....opp cost is say a week in Aus/NZ etc...

it is definitely as nice as it can be, often better than wat the adverts described.

only problem is if u want to stay in a better resort for say 4D 3N, gota spare aside $3k for one person.

Thanks. I do find the cost on the high side. Trouble is I don't think there is such a nice place nearer to us (Singapore) or at lower cost. I particularly like the suites over the water....
Also, since SIA's flight fr Male to Spore is at 11+pm, one has to wait so long at the airport, etc after checkout......

always been a dream to go.. 3K a pax....opp cost is say a week in Aus/NZ etc...

part of the high cost is because, most of the hotel resorts require u to pay abt sgd $150 per person for a gala buffet dinner everyday. for 3 nights, thats already $450 on dinner alone. and no, u cant decline it, the gala dinner is compulsory.

remember there are lunch and breakfast, and they are not cheap either. if lets say just lunch alone for 4 days, and at a conservative $50 bucks, thats already $200.

For the price of the resort, inclusive of air travel, the cheapest lousiest package is already abt $1.5k to $1.8k person, add in the gala dinner and lunch, total is already $2.5k

remember this $2.5k is for the low end package.

there is transport that u can take to go to the maldives main island to see their buildings, shopping centres, roads etc. one clubsnap forumer noted in another thread that it cost abt $100+ for the transport.

and remember, if u wan to go scuba diving, if u wan to take a boat to other islands, if u wan to go see their attractions, if u wan to take those boat trips to see dolphins etc. these are not cheap at all..

$3k per person is quite an underestimate actually..

Wow! The prices are prohibitive....Better get all meals included packages..then again there may be other hidden costs in these packages....
Thanks for the details, kcuf2.

I was there 4 years ago. Stayed at Banyan Tree Resort, Vabbinfarru. I think I paid close to 3k per pax including airfare, speed boat transfer and full board which means 3 meals a day.

Got it via SQ package. The resort island itself is small. About 20 mins stroll end to end. Practically nothing much to do on the island itself except for snorkelling, feed the fish, bumming around, eat and sleep. There's not even a TV there. But thats practically the whole idea. You are not suppose to do anything at Banyan Tree.

Well of course there's deep sea diving, island hopping, off-shore fishing trip and having a ride on the catamarans. But they are quite costly. I remembered paying close to USD10 for a can of coke. So you can imagine how much other extras would cost.

If you plan the go there and chill, just do nothing, maybe just lay by the seaside, read a book, then the package offered by SQ is quite affordable. But if you are planning to do some activities, then it could come out to be a bit more.

For the active ones, I would recommend Club Med. They have lots of activities lined up for guest. For those who just want to laze around and be treated like a king, then Banyan Tree would be a good choice.

For me, yeah I'll go back to Maldives if I've got enough dough. But for now, I'm saving up for Banyan Tree Bahrain, Desert Retreat.

Thanks. I do find the cost on the high side. Trouble is I don't think there is such a nice place nearer to us (Singapore) or at lower cost. I particularly like the suites over the water....
Also, since SIA's flight fr Male to Spore is at 11+pm, one has to wait so long at the airport, etc after checkout......

Yes, there is a very good substitute this close to Singapore.

Pulau Rawa, Malaysia.

I've been to both places, and I'll say Pulau Rawa is a darn good place to vacation as well if you're looking for suites over the water, clear blue waters, good cocktails and food. Probably better value for money in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, Banyan Tree at the Maldives is awesome, but I would rather spend my 3k somewhere else.

and one thing to remember...if u chose a resort far away from male, you have to take the seaplane which cost $$$. But the view from the sea plane is magnificent.

Damn, i miss maldives:sweatsm:

The nice scenery in holiday adverts on Maldives seems very attractive. Has anyone here been there recently via the SQ promo? Would appreciate any experience you can share. Thanks in advance.

where did u see the SQ promo? fly direct to maldives or have to transit somewhere in Timbathu or Rwanda? :sticktong

where did u see the SQ promo? fly direct to maldives or have to transit somewhere in Timbathu or Rwanda? :sticktong

Fr Asia-Euro but I think you can get from other agents too. Fr SIA's site, it seems the flight is direct but at very late hours.

jeagga, entropy_h & humanTORCH, thanks for the comments. I was thinking of Anantara's over-water huts.....

As there's only one resort on each island in the Maldives, your decision to stay at a particular resort will ultimately depend on what you would like to do while you're there.

Unable to sound unbiased, Club Med is really the way to go. They've recently included unlimited orders (when the bar is open) of most alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks in their pricing on top of buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Their dinner menu is different everyday. You do not have to worry about the USD10 can of coke. I haven't stayed at any other resorts there, so I do not know if the others change their buffet or ala carte lunch and dinner menus. The package also includes sailing, kayaking and snorkelling. A good duration to stay would be at least 4 nights (they will allow you to split your stays with the normal rooms and overwater bungalows, if you would like to experience both and not put a strain on the budget)

SQ is advantageous being the only carrier that flies direct. Also being a turnaround flight, although you arrive late in the night, you also leave late in the night on your departure day. Another way to get there is to take Sri Lankan Airways with a stopover in Columbo. This will give you an opportunity to take aerial shots of the Maldives as they arrive during the day (saves you some money on a scenic seaplane ride)

Go before the islands submerge and prices get too exorbitant.

HTH :)

malaysia airlines does take u there but u have to transit from klia before flying to male. on the way back there's a stopover in colombo,then klia and singapore. hehe...if there is no choice;)

For choice of room try the villa and bunglow during ur stay there as they give different feel like what LynneSaur said.
one more tip.... pack as much mineral bottles u can beforee heading there.

No doubt it's expensive but it's worth spending in paradise.(those who been there know what i mean)

but i dont seemed to see any promo prices leh.... they are all around $1000-1200 (inc. taxes) for a return ticket, by SQ or MH

Status
Not open for further replies.