Anyone here ever wanted to become pro PG but gave up?

adorable

Jun 8, 2009
Bury Road
Is there any one who ever wanted to become a professional photographer, have their own business/company...but later gave up?

Well, certainly agree with what Ben said about courage.

I have seen a lot... mostly gave up because they jump in it prematurely or didn't have a clue how to run the business or handle the client.

It is rather sad to see that. In matter of fact, it is sad to see someone who is so passionate about their work (be it in photography or not) and try to make a living out of it but never get anywhere... But guess that's life.

If one is running a business, they have a very limited 3 years to make it or leave it.

Hart

Is there any one who ever wanted to become a professional photographer, have their own business/company...but later gave up?
I've seen hundreds take the plunge over the years and most of them fail in the short to medium haul. It's a tough profession with more danger than a bridge collapsing under your feet.

It's not a profession for the faint of heart or those without a strong constitution.

it takes great courage to take the plunge.

it takes even more greater courage to admit defeated.

Not many Full Time or Professional Photographer in SG, I'm one of them...
I'm still holding on...
2009 was badly affected ;)
2010 starts well... :) if not drive Taxi lah.. :D

if you look at your work, and you look at the existing work out there and think to yourself " there's no way i can fail", then you should take the plunge and go pro

if you don't feel that way, then you better not do it

if you look at your work, and you look at the existing work out there and think to yourself " there's no way i can fail", then you should take the plunge and go pro

Erm..... just because you can take better photos than the rest of the world does not automatically make you someone who can make a living taking photos.

agree with Kit,

good photo ≠ salable photos

salable photos = profit

profit = business

so salable photos don't mean must be a good photo, just take a look on all the photos around you.... newspaper, magazine, advertisement etc...

agree with Kit,

good photo ≠ salable photos

salable photos = profit

profit = business

so salable photos don't mean must be a good photo, just take a look on all the photos around you.... newspaper, magazine, advertisement etc...

Hah!! So in essence if you think you can do better than the rest, don't turn pro...:bsmilie:

ok but i before i turned pro, i was looking and looking at the websites of lots of other professional wedding photographers and saw that they charged thousands of dollars for photos that were very very normal.

and i thought to myself, How is it that these guys can produce work like that and still make a living?

then i looked at my own work and thought to myself, if that's the kind of standard out there, there's no way i can fail right?

People will always be able to tell by the quality of your photos, and if you work hard, be honest, nice and sociable, while maintaining the high standard of your own work, there's no way you can fail.

Same goes for all other businesses, not just photography.

Have you ever had a client telling you that.....

"Your work exceeds our expectations and we'd more than happy to work with you but..... BUT we can't afford you.

You can pull any Tom, Dick or Harry from the street to appreciate your work but asking them to pay for it is an entirely different animal altogether, like it or not. You are only passing judgment on a superficial level, without much knowledge about what is really going on in the industry. Being hard working, honest, nice and sociable is good but that does not necessary put bread on the table. Why do you think people dabble with workplace politics instead of just being nice. Come on.....

This is the first bubble that needs to be burst: having good photo skills is actually secondary to making money. Running a business requires business skills, not photography skills. That is the most important foundation that everyone needs to understand and commit to memory. A great photographer with mediocre business skills will almost assuredly fail, whereas a mediocre photographer with great business skills will almost assuredly succeed. In fact, really bad photographers can do quite well if they have a good intuitive understanding of marketing, pricing, negotiations, and interpersonal relationships.

taken from Photo Careers

but there will always be people who can afford the high prices. thats why there are 10000 dollar photographers and there are 1000 dollar photographers

its the high paying clients that you should be targeting, and it's quality that they are after so you need to have work that deserves the high price that they are paying.

people who go for quality will automatically look for photographers in the high price bracket. it's like me going into an apple store prepared to spend 4000 dollars on a macbook pro because i don't really want to spend 1000 dollars on a windows laptop.

but there will always be people who can afford the high prices. thats why there are 10000 dollar photographers and there are 1000 dollar photographers

its the high paying clients that you should be targeting, and it's quality that they are after so you need to have work that deserves the high price that they are paying.

people who go for quality will automatically look for photographers in the high price bracket. it's like me going into an apple store prepared to spend 4000 dollars on a macbook pro because i don't really want to spend 1000 dollars on a windows laptop.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

I sincerely wish you all the best waiting for that person to show up. Don't starve yourself waiting though.

arent there 6-10k wedding photographers?

what planet are you on