Anyone here considering taking up golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

code

Jan 9, 2005
Have been considering for a while but the impression of high cost and long hours needed to play has put me off. Wonder how much does one need to get started (of course assuming entry level like in our DSLR world ie D70/80 level)?

Have been considering for a while but the impression of high cost and long hours needed to play has put me off. Wonder how much does one need to get started (of course assuming entry level like in our DSLR world ie D70/80 level)?

Hi there,

Nowadays, learning golf is cheap in s'pore. Go to a public driving range and sign up for their basic golf package. If i'm not wrong it's about $400 for 10 basic lessons. (excluding getting a PC).You need not buy your own clubs yet as they will provide clubs for you to learn. All you need is to purchase a single glove. Upon completion, buy some second hand clubs or borrow from friends.(Most golfers will have more than a set of clubs) Get down to the driving range regularly to practice. When you are ready, go and obtain your PC if you want to play in S'pore. For most places in m'sia, thailand, batam, you don't need a PC to play on their courses and they are way cheaper than playing on S'pore courses. You need to practice regualrly at the range so that you will not waste your shots on the course.

If you are a union member, you can sign up for lessons at orchid country club. At public ranges, 50 balls will cost around $3-4 depending on the time of the day.

i don't know about you but i used to think that golf is a silly game. When i picked it up, i found it rather interesting though.

Hope my info helps. :)

Thanks Bovine for the advice. I do think golf is a silly game but I think it's very unfair to continue to have that notion without giving it a try.

Cost barrier is a problem.
Don't know about putting on a false front or appearances when one is at the golf club amongst others.
I don't think I can afford it or tolerate the showiness.
So when some one suggest take up golf, I squelched the idea. (for me)

But for those who have the money, time and need the connections for business purpose, maybe it is good.

Look at the huge number of golf clubs being thrown out at second hand stores by people who have tried and given it up. Like worthless, you know? $2 for 1 golf club.

Hitting small pieces of expensive balls with 10 to 13 iron sticks around large areas of well maintain greenery does sound a bit over the top, so does 11 grown men running around chasing after a leather ball.

Until you tried it, it is, like some of you have said, unfair to comment.

Besides an elementary understanding of physics, it requires a great amount of practice and training to hit that tiny ball far far and near to that darn small hole. Have fun trying....

Cost barrier is a problem.
Don't know about putting on a false front or appearances when one is at the golf club amongst others.
I don't think I can afford it or tolerate the showiness.
So when some one suggest take up golf, I squelched the idea. (for me)

But for those who have the money, time and need the connections for business purpose, maybe it is good.

Look at the huge number of golf clubs being thrown out at second hand stores by people who have tried and given it up. Like worthless, you know? $2 for 1 golf club.

Actually golf is no longer expensive. IMO photography is more ex. :bsmilie:

i golf but i dun go for courses. i play with my dad who is also self trained. just like photography, u can still get it right with lots and lots of practice and patience and thru books. of cos, sometimes some pro comes along and correct some minor mistakes. cost wise, a good set will cost ard 1-2K. plus gloves and shoes another few hundreds. juz like buying a cam body with a flash. so photography is still more ex cos theres so many types of lens and accessories to choose from!

Something to Share :

" - Survey On socio-professional Categories -

The most practiced sport by unemployed people is Basket-ball

The most practiced sport by unqualified people is Football

The most practiced sport by specialized workers is Bowling

The most practiced sport by managers is Tennis

The most practiced sport by senior managers is Squash

The most practiced sport by CEOs/Board Managers is Golf

Conclusion :

The higher the professional status,

... The smaller the Balls! " :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status