Anyone heard that the 85mm 1.2 L has stop production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Oracle

Jun 23, 2005
East Coast
I got this news from my friend 6 month ago that they have stop production last year mid. Does anyone know that new 85 1.2 L is coming out a new model? recently i saw in one of the thread. Thoses buying this lens might want to consider again as i think it is coming out together with the new 20D replacement. :bsmilie:

I think this is the pictures with new rumour 85L. As singapore dollar getting stronger, new one from Japan now ard $2k (before 5% discount from VISA).
54918561.30d_0GAOIMNeY9uK.jpg

Canon Singapore published list price is S$3,700.

SnakeJackal said:
I think this is the pictures with new rumour 85L. As singapore dollar getting stronger, new one from Japan now ard $2k (before 5% discount from VISA).
54918561.30d_0GAOIMNeY9uK.jpg

prob they need to include a return airfare for canon stuff to bring over as there is no stocks here :sticktong

I dont think it is 2K cos the old version is abt 3K liao

Guess this is coming out with either the rumour 35D or 3D i guess! :bsmilie:

If they are really stopping this lens, it would be a pity as it is one of the best lenses Canon has. And a new model may not be neccessarily better. It could just mean cheaper production costs. Take Zeiss lenses made in West Germany and new ones made in Japan. Hard to tell the difference but carry it and you will understand. In any case, I doubt it is selling for under 2k. It's still available here at SGD3.1k. I was very lucky to get one in HK recently for cheaper. Go out and buy one now if the rumour is true! No regrets!

vernonleow said:
If they are really stopping this lens, it would be a pity as it is one of the best lenses Canon has. And a new model may not be neccessarily better. It could just mean cheaper production costs. Take Zeiss lenses made in West Germany and new ones made in Japan. Hard to tell the difference but carry it and you will understand. In any case, I doubt it is selling for under 2k. It's still available here at SGD3.1k. I was very lucky to get one in HK recently for cheaper. Go out and buy one now if the rumour is true! No regrets!

Current 85 F1.2L is pretty slow in focusing, so hopefully the new one will be faster.

Hi, mind to share where in HK can should we look for camera gear?

Roughly how much did u pay for it there?

vernonleow said:

Fine said:
Current 85 F1.2L is pretty slow in focusing, so hopefully the new one will be faster.

This can sometimes be debatable as it really depends on what you are using the lens for as well as the conditions that you are using the lens in.

I have heard 17-40/f4L also stop production...

Does it cover international warranty?

vernonleow said:
After I checked out the usual shops in HK (Wing Shing etc...), I found Tin Cheung http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/. Website has a map. Expect to pay about SGD2600 which is already substantial savings compared to here. Look for Ernest. Good luck!

Kongo said:
Does it cover international warranty?
if offer $2.4k new...u interested?

FWIW someone posted on dpreview the other day that he/she bought a 85mm f/1.2 that was produced in October 2005.:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.