Anyone heard of Vitacon UV Filter ? : (

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapper80

Sep 16, 2009
Hello,

Sorry a newbie here. I just bought a new DSLR recently and the shop (apparently a famous photographer shop here, I don't want to name the shop first) sell me a Vitacon Super Pro UV Digital 67 MM filter for $40 and told me it's a very good UV filter and slim. I trust the shop and bought it on the fly.

After coming this forum and doing research here and there, I realised the best filter is Hoya and B+W, I can't even find Vitacon in google. Don't know what brand is it. Jia luct am I kana conned ? I saw Hoya UV filter also selling around $40-$50 in price guide.

I saw the shop sell alot of Vitacon UV filters, so i thought it might be good. And when I bought the camera that time, he also offer the same filter to another buyer beside me, I saw the buyer quite happy with it, maybe another novice like me, sigh.

If the shop overcharged me, I am thinking of going back to complain to the shop owner, i rather top up abit more to the shop owner and get a better and more proper UV filter. I spend thousands plus for camera and lenses, i don't want a 20 or 30 dollars filter spoil the whole image.

Any advice? Thanks.

What shop is it? name it!

Just search for "vitacon" on here and you'll know they're horrible products normally soild to unsuspecting newbies to make $$$.

I don't understand the problem? You mentioned that you thought the Vitacon was good because someone said it was. And now you mention that you think the Hoya is good also because someone said it was.

But seriously, what do you think personally? Did the filter ruin the pictures you took? :dunno:

I don't understand the problem? You mentioned that you thought the Vitacon was good because someone said it was. And now you mention that you think the Hoya is good also because someone said it was.

But seriously, what do you think personally? Did the filter ruin the pictures you took? :dunno:

The problem is TS found out from a more reliable source (the internet vs the salesperson) that B+W and hoya better brands of filters.

Even though the vitacon filter may not spoil TS picture (yet), he feels cheated because for the same price, he can get a better hoya filter.

Oh ok, if its the case, then yes, 40 dollars for the vitacon is rather expensive, I have a receipt from Alan photo, My 77mm Vitacon which i got with my Wide angle Tamron, was 28 bucks. In retrospect, that's 28 bucks I shouldn't even have spent, because.....

I have taken it out and not used it. I find that filters sort of cause some weird effects sometimes. Like a ghosting of the image caused by reflection, or more lens flare then normal.

Didn't you get your camera from them? They should know better than to screw up what could possibly be a lifelong relationship...:(

guess what the "con" in vitacon means... ;)

i don't think the vitacon filter has any coatings so it may cause flare and ghosting. i even saw a youtube video on some of the cheap UV filters having no UV properties at all.

anyway i suggest take it back to the shop and ask for them to exchange for an item of similar value/ top up for a more valuable item. stand firm and show them that you've seen through their tricks, hopefully they will agree to it.

if cannot, then just treat it as an expensive lesson not to buy w/o research beforehand.. use the vitacon filter in really harsh conditions where you don't want to risk a nice B+W or hoya filter.

Vitacon generally makes accessories for video cams which generally have lower resolution (and hence do not need to be so high quality). It's still usable on your lens but you could verify it. Just take a picture of a detailed scene with it on and then take off to take another picture of the same scene. Then compare the pictures on your PC.

I cannot comment on the price as ultra slim filter are much more expensive. I have 2 vitacon UV filter, no visible difference from Hoya. Unless you go for HD.

In fact there is a brand of filter with heavy purple coating that gives the most flares and smudges easily.

I'm using Vitacon filter (55 and 58mm thread). Cost less than $20 each so I'm fine with it.

Not very sure about 67mm thread.
Judging by size, your 67mm filter should costs about $30.. (I'm not sure. I've not used 67mm before.) :dunno:

My vitacon filter, have flare & ghosting when used with strong light on BG :thumbsd:

Hello,

Sorry a newbie here. I just bought a new DSLR recently and the shop (apparently a famous photographer shop here, I don't want to name the shop first) sell me a Vitacon Super Pro UV Digital 67 MM filter for $40 and told me it's a very good UV filter and slim. I trust the shop and bought it on the fly.

After coming this forum and doing research here and there, I realised the best filter is Hoya and B+W, I can't even find Vitacon in google. Don't know what brand is it. Jia luct am I kana conned ? I saw Hoya UV filter also selling around $40-$50 in price guide.

I saw the shop sell alot of Vitacon UV filters, so i thought it might be good. And when I bought the camera that time, he also offer the same filter to another buyer beside me, I saw the buyer quite happy with it, maybe another novice like me, sigh.

If the shop overcharged me, I am thinking of going back to complain to the shop owner, i rather top up abit more to the shop owner and get a better and more proper UV filter. I spend thousands plus for camera and lenses, i don't want a 20 or 30 dollars filter spoil the whole image.

Any advice? Thanks.

maybe u go back to the shop and ask to change w another brand. can try Kenko Pro-1 digital around $40-50

yo everyone,

thanks for the advice. Sigh, ya I never thought of buying a filter until I was there, that's why I did not research beforehand. I did not know all along it's more meant for protecting the lens. I bought a D90, i believe the kit lenses 18-105 would stay with me at least for some time, it's more expensive than normal 18-55 lenses, that's why I hope to buy a good filter for it to protect it also. If it is a 18-55 normal kit lenses which I going to sell off sooner or later, maybe I won't even bother to buy a filter already ...

Guess I trusted the shop too much, because it's quite famous. I saw that Vitacon is made in Japan, so I thought the "quality" should be there.

But honestly speaking, by naked eye in the computer screen, actually i see no difference ... but that feeling is always there - maybe the picture can look better without the filter or with a better filter in some situations. (don't you guys get this kind of feeling sometimes) I think I will go back to the shop ... don't know they allow me to top up and exchange or not.

Before I go back, can enlighten me what is difference between a 50++mm, 67mm, and 72mm filter ? The lower the number, the thicker the filter ??

Thanks.

Before I go back, can enlighten me what is difference between a 50++mm, 67mm, and 72mm filter ? The lower the number, the thicker the filter ??

Thanks.

It has nothing to do with filter thickness, but rather the size of the lens filter thread the filter is designed for. It's essentially the diameter.

So... What shop?

Sorry, one more question, the lower the number better ? or higher number ? Which one should cost more ?

Can recommend any value for money Hoya or B+W ? Thanks.

It has nothing to do with filter thickness, but rather the size of the lens filter thread the filter is designed for. It's essentially the diameter.

So... What shop?

Diameter ...? So now I am using 67mm for my current lense. I can only buy back 67mm for my lense ? 72mm would not be able to fit ? Do you mean that ?

Thanks.

Diameter ...? So now I am using 67mm for my current lense. I can only buy back 67mm for my lense ? 72mm would not be able to fit ? Do you mean that ?

Thanks.

Yes, if your lens diameter is 67mm then u can only use 67mm filter.
Or you have to use step up / step down ring if you want to use different diameter filter.

before you do anything, try this.

put the camera on a desk or a tripod if you have one. take a picture with the filter on. Then take the filter off and take a picture again.

Load both on the computer and compare =) then you will know the truth! =)

Can settle the question in your mind once and for all, really quick!:)

You can get a B+W UV filter (without MRC) by topping up $9.
Got mine 67mm for $49.

maybe u go back to the shop and ask to change w another brand. can try Kenko Pro-1 digital around $40-50

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: you want him to upgrade or downgrade further ?

Jokes aside, $40 for a 67mm UV is a little on high side (by about $8-12) but not rip-off territory

....and..... a B&W filter on a kit lens ??? :dunno:

I think that the vitacon is fine paired with the kit lens

The shop will ask you to prove it with camera mounted on tripod.....with filter on/off, with vitacon vs Hoya etc etc...... doubt if you can spot the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.