Anyone have any advices for this ethiopian itinerary?

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
period and duration
tenatively over mid to late jan to cover timkat (ethiopian epiphany, christian fest, 19 jan).
16 days will cover 10 working days + 6 days of weekends.

northern route: christian ethiopia
day 1 * *leaving sg (haven't check timing, ethiopian air from bkk to addis ababa $1460, tax not included)
day 2 * *arrived at addis ababa, rest over.

day 3 * *fly to gondar. stay over. target this to be 17-18 jan.
day 4 * *gondar full day 1
day 5 * *gondar full day 2

day 6 * *fly to aksum (axum)
day 7 * *axum day 1
day 8 * *axum day 2

day 9 * *fly to lalibela
day 10 * lalibela day 1
day 11 * lalibela day 2

day 12 * fly to addis ababa
day 13 * rest in addis ababa
day 14 * buffer 1 day

day 15 * leave addis ababa
day 16 * reach sg.

flight cost
other flights from sg to addis ababa (no direct) cost about 2000-2400+ (w tax), on kenya, emirates or turkish air.
flights between addis ababa, gondar, axum, lalibela cost another <500.

southern route: tribal ethiopia
possible another southern trip to omo valley
day +1 *fly from addis ababa to arba mintch (flight cannot be booked online), 3.5hrs drive to konso, stay over
day +2 *5.5hrs drive to jinka, rest over
day +3 *visit lip plated mursi village, rest over mursi or jinka
day +4 *8hrs from jinka back to arba mintch. rest at arba
day +5 *fly from arba to addis.
to/fro flight possibly 3-500, 4wheel drive US150/day

questions

1. i saw the tour packages (to see feasibility of my plan) and saw that wow, they drive everyday from location to location, but i take photographs and prefer to explore with lots of time, so i have 2 full days + 2 half days for each location. that however excluded the badar har's island monasteries and any passing by of the simien mountains.

is it worthwhile to shorten a day at addis ababa, aksum or lalibella just to take in badar har? if no trek done in simien, is it possible to drive in and short walk to see the wildlife there? i doubt so, as it takes long to drive in, and unlikely to see spectacular wildlife without trekking deep and high.

2. omo valley is exotic but expensive and time consuming due to the land transport in the thick jungle, plus photography there is invariably a money exchange issue now and they can be aggressive. have anyone have experience there, with or without photography?

hi, just back from addis ababa with a short stay. One thing you didn't count in is tipping. AFAIK it varies from 7-15 USD per day per person depending on their assignment. A good safari driver makes tones of amazing pictures if he can spot and follow the animal herds.

Have fun in Ethiopia

hi, just back from addis ababa with a short stay. One thing you didn't count in is tipping. AFAIK it varies from 7-15 USD per day per person depending on their assignment. A good safari driver makes tones of amazing pictures if he can spot and follow the animal herds.

Have fun in Ethiopia

not very much into safari, but not a bad idea to make a variety, cos i may not be able to fit in a tribal southern route together with the north.

r u talking about simien or other national parks?

The added advantage is if u use Ethiopian Airline ( one of the best in Africa) ,u get big discounts when u purchase their domestic flights . This is useful because of the vast distance covered for the places u indicated.
PM me coz I'm really keen.
Cheers

Last edited:
The added advantage is if u use Ethiopian Airline ( one of the best in Africa) ,u get big discounts when u purchase their domestic flights . This is useful because of the vast distance covered for the places u indicated.
PM me coz I'm really keen.
Cheers

pm may not be so gd cos my quota almost full.
email me at zoossh@starhub.net.sg.
i've just posted up the overall itinerary and cost on a new thread in the same subforum.

You might want to consider SG-Dubai-Addis. SG-Dubai on SQ, Dubai-Addis on Ethiopian Airline. That was how I travelled the last time. SQ has good prices for SG-Dubai (min 2).

period and duration
tenatively over mid to late jan to cover timkat (ethiopian epiphany, christian fest, 19 jan).
16 days will cover 10 working days + 6 days of weekends.

northern route: christian ethiopia
day 1 * *leaving sg (haven't check timing, ethiopian air from bkk to addis ababa $1460, tax not included)
day 2 * *arrived at addis ababa, rest over.

day 3 * *fly to gondar. stay over. target this to be 17-18 jan.
day 4 * *gondar full day 1
day 5 * *gondar full day 2

day 6 * *fly to aksum (axum)
day 7 * *axum day 1
day 8 * *axum day 2

day 9 * *fly to lalibela
day 10 * lalibela day 1
day 11 * lalibela day 2

day 12 * fly to addis ababa
day 13 * rest in addis ababa
day 14 * buffer 1 day

day 15 * leave addis ababa
day 16 * reach sg.

flight cost
other flights from sg to addis ababa (no direct) cost about 2000-2400+ (w tax), on kenya, emirates or turkish air.
flights between addis ababa, gondar, axum, lalibela cost another <500.

southern route: tribal ethiopia
possible another southern trip to omo valley
day +1 *fly from addis ababa to arba mintch (flight cannot be booked online), 3.5hrs drive to konso, stay over
day +2 *5.5hrs drive to jinka, rest over
day +3 *visit lip plated mursi village, rest over mursi or jinka
day +4 *8hrs from jinka back to arba mintch. rest at arba
day +5 *fly from arba to addis.
to/fro flight possibly 3-500, 4wheel drive US150/day

questions

1. i saw the tour packages (to see feasibility of my plan) and saw that wow, they drive everyday from location to location, but i take photographs and prefer to explore with lots of time, so i have 2 full days + 2 half days for each location. that however excluded the badar har's island monasteries and any passing by of the simien mountains.

is it worthwhile to shorten a day at addis ababa, aksum or lalibella just to take in badar har? if no trek done in simien, is it possible to drive in and short walk to see the wildlife there? i doubt so, as it takes long to drive in, and unlikely to see spectacular wildlife without trekking deep and high.

2. omo valley is exotic but expensive and time consuming due to the land transport in the thick jungle, plus photography there is invariably a money exchange issue now and they can be aggressive. have anyone have experience there, with or without photography?
think you will have more reply if you post your questions in trip advisor website
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293790-i9957-Ethiopia.html

hope this helps.
cheers

thanks. will check it out. except that the dates have been shifted off from jan due to work commitment. but i will look for another time to visit ethiopia.