Anyone has switched from Nikon to Sony a55?

oceantoofar

Jul 6, 2010
After reading tons of reviews on Sony a55 and comparisons between a55 and d90, I am super tempted to switch from my D90 to a55. Some of its features really outdo D90 such as:

1. 10fps
2. Very fast AF in live view
3. Continuous AF in video recording
4. Tiltable LCD screen
5. Lightweight 450g compared to d90's 700g (i find the d90 with my lens of 1.2kg a tad too heavy for me)

But as a user of Nikon dslr, I am abit apprehensive on switching to a Sony. Brand names aside, a55 really attracted me alot.

So can i seek some advice from pple who have switched from canon/nikon to a55? Did anyone regret converting to Sony or anyone really pleased with the switch?

Thanks for your help!

After reading tons of reviews on Sony a55 and comparisons between a55 and d90, I am super tempted to switch from my D90 to a55. Some of its features really outdo D90 such as:

1. 10fps - do you need it?
2. Very fast AF in live view - it's a bonus to be sure, but do you need it?
3. Continuous AF in video recording - well again, do you need it? AF in video seems to be a mixed bag - some find it handy while others prefer MF
4. Tiltable LCD screen - again, do you need it?
5. Lightweight 450g compared to d90's 700g (i find the d90 with my lens of 1.2kg a tad too heavy for me) - err... why did you buy a D90 in the first place then? Do note that lighter could mean smaller, and you may not find the grip comfortable. Have you tried it out?

But as a user of Nikon dslr, I am abit apprehensive on switching to a Sony. Brand names aside, a55 really attracted me alot.

So can i seek some advice from pple who have switched from canon/nikon to a55? Did anyone regret converting to Sony or anyone really pleased with the switch?

Thanks for your help!

I guess assessing your needs before buying is important, especially for a brand switch if you are already invested in lenses for a particular system. If you feel that the features are important to you, then BBBBB! :devil:

1. 10fps
2. Very fast AF in live view
3. Continuous AF in video recording
4. Tiltable LCD screen
5. Lightweight 450g compared to d90's 700g (i find the d90 with my lens of 1.2kg a tad too heavy for me)

Thanks for your help!

switch ! A55 it is more worth it

No 2, 4 and 5 i need them very much, which is why i am so tempted to switch. I dun need the 10fps and I dun do alot of video recording.

I only have 1 nikon lens at the moment .. so not a big issue to switch in that sense...

i am gal, so my hands aint very big and bulky ... and is seriously finding my d90 + lens (1.2kg) heavy to use and carry. D90 is my first camera... and after doing alot of research back then, i chose it because of the raving reviews.... and it felt ok when i tested it. but after having to carry it for hours or a whole day is very tiring for me and now i wish for something lighter.... i am heading down to a sony shop later to try out the handling...

But as a very typical nikon user (some sort of brand loyalty and pride haha), i really need to hear from nikon users who have done the switch and how they feel abt a55.....

I guess assessing your needs before buying is important, especially for a brand switch if you are already invested in lenses for a particular system. If you feel that the features are important to you, then BBBBB! :devil:

Last edited:
The switch may be worthwhile then since weight and size is a concern and you only have one lens now.

But do take note that the camera sensor will overheat after prolong usage (especially under the hot sun) although it's not a big deal to some and so far the overheating problem control seems to be better than the other brands. Also that the viewfinder will be very different from the D90's.

Good that you go to a shop or SonyStyle to try it out first.

the overheating sensor is applicable when taking videos right? i dun take much videos so that shld be fine....

technical specs just seems better for the a55 as compared to d90.. but actual use, i am not so sure if a55 is really better than d90?

users who have used both cameras cld u pls offer me some advice? in terms of picture quality, iso performance ... are they comparable or are there huge differences?

The switch may be worthwhile then since weight and size is a concern and you only have one lens now.

But do take note that the camera sensor will overheat after prolong usage (especially under the hot sun) although it's not a big deal to some and so far the overheating problem control seems to be better than the other brands. Also that the viewfinder will be very different from the D90's.

Good that you go to a shop or SonyStyle to try it out first.

Usually is when taking video, but recently heard that someone experienced that when taking photos under the hot sun as well. I did not follow that thread, so not really sure. For me, as I prefer the OVF hence I don't really follow the A33/55's thread cos I will never get that.

Also do note that as the EVF sucks battery juice, hence the battery life may not be as good as your D90's.

the overheating sensor is applicable when taking videos right? i dun take much videos so that shld be fine....

technical specs just seems better for the a55 as compared to d90.. but actual use, i am not so sure if a55 is really better than d90?

users who have used both cameras cld u pls offer me some advice? in terms of picture quality, iso performance ... are they comparable or are there huge differences?

I have not tested the a55 EVF, but will drop by Sony later to test it out... so at the moment i am not sure how good or bad it is ... or how different it is from OVF...

yeah i did read that the battery can only last 300 plus shots .. d90 can do double of that ... but i guess for the lightweight sake, they had to use a smaller batt.... not a big minus for me .. can easily get a OEM batt as backup....

i just dont wanna be shocked/disappointed after switching to realize that the photos come out alot worse than a D90's.... (not talking abt photography skills here, but more on the IQ)

Usually is when taking video, but recently heard that someone experienced that when taking photos under the hot sun as well. I did not follow that thread, so not really sure. For me, as I prefer the OVF hence I don't really follow the A33/55's thread cos I will never get that.

Also do note that as the EVF sucks battery juice, hence the battery life may not be as good as your D90's.

The EVF thing is either you like it or you don't. Obviously I don't like it, so you will have to try it out yourself. IQ wise, I find them pretty good.

I have not tested the a55 EVF, but will drop by Sony later to test it out... so at the moment i am not sure how good or bad it is ... or how different it is from OVF...

yeah i did read that the battery can only last 300 plus shots .. d90 can do double of that ... but i guess for the lightweight sake, they had to use a smaller batt.... not a big minus for me .. can easily get a OEM batt as backup....

i just dont wanna be shocked/disappointed after switching to realize that the photos come out alot worse than a D90's.... (not talking abt photography skills here, but more on the IQ)

Btw have you used an a55 before? What is it abt the EVF that you didnt like? So i can safely say that the pics from both camera are comparable eh?

The EVF thing is either you like it or you don't. Obviously I don't like it, so you will have to try it out yourself. IQ wise, I find them pretty good.

Seems to me like u've done ur homework. :thumbsup:

As an a55 user, I feel all e "problems" r blown way out of proportion. I'm a casual photographer, n I try to take photos everyday and some sessions last for a few hours but have NEVER experienced any overheating. Maybe those who experienced the overheating are those who have to take many2 pics n hardly put down e cam. Oh n it's true batt life is short, but so far I've never needed a 2nd batt. As long as it's fully charged before u go out.

So the point is, if ur a casual user like me, no need to wOrry about any of e over-inflated problems.

No 2, 4 and 5 i need them very much, which is why i am so tempted to switch. I dun need the 10fps and I dun do alot of video recording.

I only have 1 nikon lens at the moment .. so not a big issue to switch in that sense...

i am gal, so my hands aint very big and bulky ... and is seriously finding my d90 + lens (1.2kg) heavy to use and carry. D90 is my first camera... and after doing alot of research back then, i chose it because of the raving reviews.... and it felt ok when i tested it. but after having to carry it for hours or a whole day is very tiring for me and now i wish for something lighter.... i am heading down to a sony shop later to try out the handling...

But as a very typical nikon user (some sort of brand loyalty and pride haha), i really need to hear from nikon users who have done the switch and how they feel abt a55.....

I won't switch for the reasons you quoted. However, weight may be a concern if you find that the camera is too heavy to use.

I had briefly used it during a Sony event. If you have used bridge/prosumer cameras in the past, you would know how the EVF looks like but of course the one in the Sony SLTs are much improved and refined. It's just that I am not used to it. Some of my friends are very happy with the EVF and they prefer it over the OVF.

Anyway, you may want to consider renting a set and try it for a couple of days before deciding also.

Btw have you used an a55 before? What is it abt the EVF that you didnt like? So i can safely say that the pics from both camera are comparable eh?

Yup i am a casual user ... the raving reviews on a55 really attracted me to ... so since u r using one.. can u share some of ur experiences with me? What lens are u using? Is there anywhere i can see the pics that u have taken with a55?

The problems on a55 i have read so far are really not that big in my opinion.... or as far as my usage is concerned....

btw have u used a nikon before? if so, cld u share some differences u find in ur usage of the camera? (not talking abt technical specs here, but more like user friendliness, IQ comparisons, ISO comparisons etc)

Thankss!!!

Seems to me like u've done ur homework. :thumbsup:

As an a55 user, I feel all e "problems" r blown way out of proportion. I'm a casual photographer, n I try to take photos everyday and some sessions last for a few hours but have NEVER experienced any overheating. Maybe those who experienced the overheating are those who have to take many2 pics n hardly put down e cam. Oh n it's true batt life is short, but so far I've never needed a 2nd batt. As long as it's fully charged before u go out.

So the point is, if ur a casual user like me, no need to wOrry about any of e over-inflated problems.

i did check online on several camera rental shops, they are not carrying a55 (yet)....

I had briefly used it during a Sony event. If you have used bridge/prosumer cameras in the past, you would know how the EVF looks like but of course the one in the Sony SLTs are much improved and refined. It's just that I am not used to it. Some of my friends are very happy with the EVF and they prefer it over the OVF.

Anyway, you may want to consider renting a set and try it for a couple of days before deciding also.

yeah i understand for most pro photographers dont use live view or tiltable lcds ... (no so pro in their eyes haha) ... but when i am using my d90, there are many times where i just wished i can shoot in LV ... but the super slow focussing makes it almost impossible to use it. there are also many times i wish i can tilt the lcd at awkward positions.... so these 2 factors plus the lightweight factor makes a55 a big attraction to me....

I won't switch for the reasons you quoted. However, weight may be a concern if you find that the camera is too heavy to use.

Yup i am a casual user ... the raving reviews on a55 really attracted me to ... so since u r using one.. can u share some of ur experiences with me? What lens are u using? Is there anywhere i can see the pics that u have taken with a55?

The problems on a55 i have read so far are really not that big in my opinion.... or as far as my usage is concerned....

btw have u used a nikon before? if so, cld u share some differences u find in ur usage of the camera? (not talking abt technical specs here, but more like user friendliness, IQ comparisons, ISO comparisons etc)

Thankss!!!

For sample photos, you can see here: ttp://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766631

As to user friendliness, I find the Sony pretty good, IQ is good (of course it depends on the lens you are using also). ISO comparison wise, they are pretty on par with the rest of the brands as Sony provides the sensor to most of the cameras out in the market.

yeah i understand for most pro photographers dont use live view or tiltable lcds ... (no so pro in their eyes haha) ... but when i am using my d90, there are many times where i just wished i can shoot in LV ... but the super slow focussing makes it almost impossible to use it. there are also many times i wish i can tilt the lcd at awkward positions.... so these 2 factors plus the lightweight factor makes a55 a big attraction to me....

I too wish that my D90 lcd screen is tiltable.
Maybe you can try something like this?
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/657208-post3.html

If you want to go light weight, why not check out the pentax dslr?