Anyone has experience Lens repair by Panasonic or Olympus?

apex

Nov 7, 2002
Visit site
Currently considering between Panasonic LEICA DG Lens H-E08018 or Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO lens.

1.5 - 2 years back i sent my out of warranty Pansonic 15MM F1.7 (H-X015) for repair due focus issue. I was quote $400+ to repair. The repair cost is already 40-50% of a new len (at the time the lens street value is $700-800)

I was told that the motor is dead and this repair can only be carry out in Japan. Not sure if this was due to small SG market, the local svc center do not have the tools to re-calibrate the lens after replacing the motor. (Whole thing took 4-6 weeks)

Well I know lens rarely spoil, but would like to hear anyone encounter lens repair that need to be sent back japan (Panasonic and olympus or any M43 Lens).

Currently considering between Panasonic LEICA DG Lens H-E08018 or Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO lens.

1.5 - 2 years back i sent my out of warranty Pansonic 15MM F1.7 (H-X015) for repair due focus issue. I was quote $400+ to repair. The repair cost is already 40-50% of a new len (at the time the lens street value is $700-800)

I was told that the motor is dead and this repair can only be carry out in Japan. Not sure if this was due to small SG market, the local svc center do not have the tools to re-calibrate the lens after replacing the motor. (Whole thing took 4-6 weeks)

Well I know lens rarely spoil, but would like to hear anyone encounter lens repair that need to be sent back japan (Panasonic and olympus or any M43 Lens).

I've repaired before but can't remember how much. It's expensive. My lens mount was detached when the camera hit the ground.

Repair cost may be expensive but $400 is still way cheaper than the $700/800 you mentioned. And just because it's a new/secondhand lens doesn't mean that it's not going to spoil. Same can be said for the repaired unit too.

It makes more economic sense to repair.

I've many Panasonic and Olympus lens over the last 10 years and only one (Oly 9-18mm) had problem and it's not even a lens I use often.

My brother dropped his Olympus 12-100 lenses and the casing cracked. Costs $800 to repair. Could have bought a used one for about $1100 but it comes back like brandnew after the repair. Now sure if they repair or just give him a new one.

I repaired a Sony body before, and I can see that they somehow transferred my serial number tag to the new body (my existing serial tag happen to have some hairline scratches which I recognize). I think nowadays, with the high costs of labour, it seemed that manufacturers will rather give you a new one than to incur labour to repair them.

I have the exact experience. If it's sent back to Japan, you're probably getting a new lens.