Anyone has DIY filter holder for your 14-24mm lens?

subzero

Jun 15, 2003
Central
www.petc.com
I have recently upgraded 16-35mm to 14-24mm lens. It is known that the 14-24mm cannot take any screwed-on filter, and custom filter holder is very expensive ($600+ for Lee filter holder).
I need ND filter for landscape photography, wonder if anyone has DIYed own filter holder and would like to share how you do it?

I know cheapest way that people do is to use blue tag, however i am not too convince as i have doubt if it is safe and secure enough for the filter.
I thought of using flexible clip, with 130x170mm cokin ND filter. I wonder if that will work. Any comment?

p718967230-4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks daredevil123, this seem not too difficult to do. It will be much cheaper as compare to Lee filter holder but will cost quite a bit as well.
If i've no other option, i would try that.

Hi, how was the 16-35? Any reason that made u change to the 14-24?
I am deciding between the 2 as well.

Thanks daredevil123, this seem not too difficult to do. It will be much cheaper as compare to Lee filter holder but will cost quite a bit as well.

Actually, it all you are concerned about is price, The china copy is already here. Check with SGcamerastore.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/926962-150mm-filter-holder-now-for-mass-order?highlight=filter+holder+sgcamerastore

Actually, it all you are concerned about is price, The china copy is already here. Check with SGcamerastore.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/926962-150mm-filter-holder-now-for-mass-order?highlight=filter+holder+sgcamerastore

Price is definately a concern for me, i do not want to spend $600+ just to get Lee's filter holder made of plastic. Too bad CP do not carry cokin pro-x series. Alot of online store also run out of stocks. Now i just need to wait to see if the 150mm filter holder from SGcamerastore works on 14-24mm. Thanks for the link again daredevil123.

Hi Rick,

Actually 16-35mm is a great lens, not as heavy, sharp and it takes all kinds of filters. In fact there are pro and cons for both lens, I am sure you have read review for both lens.

The main reason I switched to 14-24mm is for indoor shooting with the extra f-stop and angle. I have not shoot enough with 14-24mm yet to give much comment on the image differences, however one noticeable different is that the distortion for 14-24mm is better controlled compare to 16-35.

Ben

subzero said:
Hi Rick,

Actually 16-35mm is a great lens, not as heavy, sharp and it takes all kinds of filters. In fact there are pro and cons for both lens, I am sure you have read review for both lens.

The main reason I switched to 14-24mm is for indoor shooting with the extra f-stop and angle. I have not shoot enough with 14-24mm yet to give much comment on the image differences, however one noticeable different is that the distortion for 14-24mm is better controlled compare to 16-35.

Ben

Hi Ben

Thanks for the info. My hand is quite shaky, that's why think of whether I should have VR or not. I know many have said on wide angle don't need VR but still a bit worry. Also thinking whether I get more usable zoom with 35 instead of 24.....

This is what I'm working on, a bastar dized version of lozzmann's using 100mm PVC pipe and socket:
http://lozzmann.blogspot.com/2009/09/cokin-x-pro-filter-rig-mark-ii-nikon-14.html
Cokin products are tough to find considering they were in financial trouble and recently got bought over by Hoya/Tokina
May be awhile before product stocks recover
The universal ring has just about disappeared from any sale market ;p
If you're keen on filters however, can custom make from Formatt/Hitech; had a 6 stop delivered to me custom cut although oddly I've been sticking to using my welding glass instead

This is what I'm working on, a bastar dized version of lozzmann's using 100mm PVC pipe and socket:
http://lozzmann.blogspot.com/2009/09/cokin-x-pro-filter-rig-mark-ii-nikon-14.html
Cokin products are tough to find considering they were in financial trouble and recently got bought over by Hoya/Tokina
May be awhile before product stocks recover
The universal ring has just about disappeared from any sale market ;p
If you're keen on filters however, can custom make from Formatt/Hitech; had a 6 stop delivered to me custom cut although oddly I've been sticking to using my welding glass instead

Since its not easy to get, i may DIY the filter holder as well. I'll see if i can get acrylic sheet and cutting tools to work on it.
Where do you custom make your ND filters, what is the dimension? can you give me some light?

Ah sorry didn't describe that clearly
The filter holder was bought online, and I wouldn't quite recommend you DIY that part; the filters are held on by friction and rather securely, considering the price of the filters, losing them/dropping them on the floor would be highly undesireable
Not that expensive, USD20 before shipping, bought from eBay
It's the universal ring that's expensive and impossible to obtain: it's the ring with four plastic screws to attach it to the lens hood, this allows the holder to rotate

You might want to read up more about both systems, know the dimensions
The Lee knockoff recommended by daredevil isn't that bad actually, I've seen some semblance of it and it's pretty well made
Surely better than my own ham-fisted attempts haha
As with the above, X-Pro sized filters aren't cheap, a less than sturdy/stable holder may prove to be more costly when accidents occur

In my post I mentioned Formatt; they're the makers of Hitech filters
http://www.formatt.co.uk/contact/formatt-filters.aspx
Used the contact form for a sales request and someone replied shortly
They're not used to doing this I think, a lot of back and forth and multiple promptings for a reply
Still I got my product in the end. Cost me 90quid plus shipping iirc, ouch
Contacted Lee and as many online retailers in UK and US, they're having production issues, it's an almost 6month wait at the least

In retrospect, I should have asked them to cut it to 130mm x 150mm
The 130mm side would fit the X-Pro
The 150mm side for the Lee system
If you ever wanted to switch systems, that'll be so much more convenient - as it is, I'm stuck
Hope that helps!

Oh yes, I had initially made a trip to Bras Basah with all the dimensions and measurements to try and get a sheet with the circle cut out in the middle
On the contrary, it's not cheap! Laser cut is ~50, 5 bucks cheaper is you supply the eps file yourself

Oh yes, I had initially made a trip to Bras Basah with all the dimensions and measurements to try and get a sheet with the circle cut out in the middle
On the contrary, it's not cheap! Laser cut is ~50, 5 bucks cheaper is you supply the eps file yourself

Thanks for the useful tips! I will be going to London 2 weeks later and perhaps will try my luck there for the holder, ring and filter. If available in the shop and if you need, i can help you to get the ring.

I came across this Singapore optic manufacturer that sell ND filter, wonder if they do size customisation
http://www.optics.sg/page.asp?id=11

Heh thanks for the offer, but will pass. Even Robertwhite doesn't have them
I've got a good design in mind, just putting the last touches on it, perhaps this weekend
The first prototype has vignetting at 14mm
That website looks interesting, didn't know about a local company. Please update here when you find out whether they do ND filters to size :)

Heh thanks for the offer, but will pass. Even Robertwhite doesn't have them
I've got a good design in mind, just putting the last touches on it, perhaps this weekend
The first prototype has vignetting at 14mm
That website looks interesting, didn't know about a local company. Please update here when you find out whether they do ND filters to size :)

They have just replied that they can customise the size, but with handling charges if i order only 1 piece. If not too expensive, i will test it out and let you guys know if the quality is good and maybe next time can pool order here. Their measurement of light going through is in Optical Density ("OD"), e.g. ND08 (3 stop) is equavilent to 0.9 OD. From their website, it seem that they can make up to OD 5, but i guess OD 3.0 (ND1024) 10 stop will be useful.

Nice. Considering I'm a hobbyist who shoots with non-optical quality welding glass, I doubt I'd be that perturbed ;p
I would assume grads will be out of their abilities

Nice. Considering I'm a hobbyist who shoots with non-optical quality welding glass, I doubt I'd be that perturbed ;p
I would assume grads will be out of their abilities

Ya i don't think they can make Grads also. The whole team is out for trade show and will only be back on 9th Sept. Hope they'll get back soon before my UK trip.

Reply from them
"For ND glass filter, size of 170x130mm is big, not in stock. Need to customize, unit price S$500/pc if to process 5pcs per lot. 2 - 4 weeks ARO"

In stock, we have dielectric coated OD3 filter mirror for 400-900nm use ultra-wideband, but the size is 100x100mm max only from stock. It is S$400/pc subject to 7% GST, Self collection and cash on collection.

In stock, we have dielectric coated ND filter plate for visible light use in case for photography system or imaging system. But it is OD=0.3 only, the max OD per 180x130mm dimension. "

Price is expensive, guess they're more for industrial usage.

I'm using a set of Harrison Duraline 4.5 inch ND filters with my Samyang 14m f2.8..(I chose not to buy the Nikon Zoom...the Samyang is super sharp and much smaller and lighter and of course much cheaper!) I usualy put the Camera on a tripod then just hold one of the filters in front of the lens...Works like a charm! I have a set of six filters left over from my "pro" video days....I just saw one filter on ebay for $70 us...might be worth a look, ;) not sure how it will work with a FF cam and your big zoom.:cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-2-Harri...0649928?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item5199adb848

Cheers

Note: You just paid for a very nice and expensive piece of glass that is purported to be very sharp....Why do you feel the need to degrade the sharpness with a filter that the lens was not designed for??? I have to ask myself this very same question on occasion.....

Last edited: