Anyone has any idea on how to pose a male model when it comes to portrait shootings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ordinaryless said:
I've seen many model shoots involving girls but when it comes to guys, does anyone has any references or guidances on how to pose them so as to show their masculine? =P

I can't really advise on this area. But if I'm you, I will get some samples of shots from some Men's magazines for reference. Really depends on their dress code. Naked bodybuilding shots will definitely be those muscles flexing shots to show their biceps, triceps, abs, etc. Casual and smart office wear will be pose with pockets in their hands, hands holding their chin with good posture showing a sense of confidence on their faces.

Mine...really not v professional advice... :sweat:
:bsmilie:

obewan said:
I can't really advise on this area. But if I'm you, I will get some samples of shots from some Men's magazines for reference. Really depends on their dress code. Naked bodybuilding shots will definitely be those muscles flexing shots to show their biceps, triceps, abs, etc. Casual and smart office wear will be pose with pockets in their hands, hands holding their chin with good posture showing a sense of confidence on their faces.

Mine...really not v professional advice...

Thanks for ya input Obewan, men's magazines shld be a good source.. :)

ortega said:
males usually have their ego, just stroke it and watch them shine

I'm a man too...How does one man stroke another man's ego? Haha..

with words, since you are a man you should know how easily a man can be manipulated. A man always have something to prove.

Use words and make him prove it. Use their imagination.
Background music to suit the mood that you want.
Better still, if the subject is your friend, let him watch some hero movie b4 the shoot.

I forgot to add this, some beer.

ortega said:
with words, since you are a man you should know how easily a man can be manipulated. A man always have something to prove.

Use words and make him prove it. Use their imagination.
Background music to suit the mood that you want.
Better still, if the subject is your friend, let him watch some hero movie b4 the shoot.

I forgot to add this, some beer.

Haha, you had some pretty good suggestions... thank you..
charming a woman seems to be much easier now..haha

eh i have worked with quite a few guys before....for posing guys, i tink most of all still depend on theme.....

but as a general guide....when posing guys most important is to show the "manliness" in the shot.... if u are a guy too... then thats pretty easy to understand.... show the "gang1" (bronze in chinese?) in the guy....

so as opposed to posing ladies with their palms on thier hips u could get the guys to ball up their fists etc....

ladies sit cross legged ...guys cannot be shy to spread out alittle more rite...

i tink even if standing if the pose two legs are spread more widely apart than shoulder width should work too....

than work with angles that will show square jaws etc.....typical male stuff...

clothing wise expose a little chest area with a loose shirt will be great...... but for tt really man feel i suppose shorts wont work at all ya....

pardon me if my explaination is no good....i post some of my works here...perhaps a picture speaks a thousand words??? or maybe not.....

Joe02.jpg

Jonathan.jpg

SelfPortrait.jpg

ya and the last one is yours truely...ME haha....self portrait....

juz my 2 cts worth...

cheers.....

ordinaryless said:
I've seen many model shoots involving girls but when it comes to guys, does anyone has any references or guidances on how to pose them so as to show their masculine? =P

One of the things you will have to decide for yourself is what do you consider masculinity? Is what is shown in men's magazine prime examples of masculinity? How about the portraits of Nelson Mandela? Or Gandhi? Or Che Guevara (right spelling?). Do these images show real men? Men with conviction and power of character? Or are our perceptions of masculinity defined and determined by fashion magazines?

Although the portrait of Che Guevara is widely spread over the world but the photographer of this famous portrait receive not a single cent.

sumball said:
Although the portrait of Che Guevara is widely spread over the world but the photographer of this famous portrait receive not a single cent.

That would be a separate issue.

But does that image convey a sense of a "man"? What is one trying to portrait when one takes a picture of a man? Making images that can be posted on fashion magazines? What is the objective?

Only the photographer can decide.

Witness said:
eh i have worked with quite a few guys before....for posing guys, i tink most of all still depend on theme.....

but as a general guide....when posing guys most important is to show the "manliness" in the shot.... if u are a guy too... then thats pretty easy to understand.... show the "gang1" (bronze in chinese?) in the guy....

so as opposed to posing ladies with their palms on thier hips u could get the guys to ball up their fists etc....

ladies sit cross legged ...guys cannot be shy to spread out alittle more rite...

i tink even if standing if the pose two legs are spread more widely apart than shoulder width should work too....

than work with angles that will show square jaws etc.....typical male stuff...

clothing wise expose a little chest area with a loose shirt will be great...... but for tt really man feel i suppose shorts wont work at all ya....

pardon me if my explaination is no good....i post some of my works here...perhaps a picture speaks a thousand words??? or maybe not.....

Joe02.jpg

Jonathan.jpg

SelfPortrait.jpg

ya and the last one is yours truely...ME haha....self portrait....

juz my 2 cts worth...

cheers.....

Hey, thanks for sharing your experiences with me, they have been most helpful and your pictures of these guys are really cool. I guess i have to do a lot of self-thinking in order to come out with a theme and bring out the manliness in him

You got great shots..Thanks Witness!

student said:
One of the things you will have to decide for yourself is what do you consider masculinity? Is what is shown in men's magazine prime examples of masculinity? How about the portraits of Nelson Mandela? Or Gandhi? Or Che Guevara (right spelling?). Do these images show real men? Men with conviction and power of character? Or are our perceptions of masculinity defined and determined by fashion magazines?

Hi student, thanks for ya input.

I think what you're driving at is how to bring out the characters of an individual instead of just focusing on bringing out the 'manliness' in the guys. Some guys just aren't maculine, they might be appealing in other ways like they are intelligent, cute etc...

Did i get you right? ;)

ordinaryless said:

I think what you're driving at is how to bring out the characters of an individual instead of just focusing on bringing out the 'manliness' in the guys. Some guys just aren't maculine, they might be appealing in other ways like they are intelligent, cute etc...

Did i get you right? ;)

If you take pictures just like those pictures in men's magazines and fashion magazines, showing "attitude", barechested, folded arms, cool, what are your images going to be? Just another guy with an "attitude", barechested, folded arms etc.

Look at the magazines. Is there a "sameness" to the images? Are you contented to also "join the crowd"? Or do you have a unique vision of what being a man is? If you do not have a unique vision of what a man is, and just imitates the magazines, then your images will be repetition of the same stuff in magazines. If you have your own vision, then show what a "real man" is in your own way.

You cannot bring out the character of a person. You can't. Because you just do not know that person. A few minutes or a few hours or even a few years later, you still cannot know the person. What you can possibly know is what that person chosed to reveal to you. What you can do is to make a story of that person, a biography. If you can do that, that would be a powerful portrait. I am still trying to learn that myself. Not there yet, by a long shot. But I know what I am looking forward to. I know my goal.

ordinaryless said:

Did i get you right? ;)

Wrong. He is just trying to confuse you. Ignore him, and he might go away.

Master the basics first. Then we talk about developing our own style and unique vision. Nothing wrong with Men's Magazine's photography. Russell Wong found fame and fortune doing it.

If you have cash, visit Riceball bookshop (search the forum for the address). They have good books on posing for portraits, though most of the American authors target their books at photographers learning to make a living taking formal portraits in studios.

Still, you will learn things on creating dynamic shapes (triangles) and lines (diagonals) etc., differences between cliche poses of male and female, etc. from the books, and get a better understanding on why that photorapher ask you to turn your head this way and that when you took your studio photos.

Then get a male model to practise, and experiment. I look forward to seeing your attempts. :)

In my own opinion, there is nothing wrong by flipping thru magazines, newspapers & books and copying from others loh. Especially, if you are a newbie.

Our brain is a wonderful organ. When it input a lots of different pictures, slowly it will develop a very special and something different on its on. That is creativity. Sometimes overdo it... :bsmilie:

We can also source some ideas by been observant. Just look at our surroundings. Observe hw ppl sit, stand, walk, etc. You might find some interesting natural pose.

So much to learn...'shag' ah.... :sweat:

obewan said:
In my own opinion, there is nothing wrong by flipping thru magazines, newspapers & books and copying from others loh. Especially, if you are a newbie.

Our brain is a wonderful organ. When it input a lots of different pictures, slowly it will develop a very special and something different on its on. That is creativity. Sometimes overdo it... :bsmilie:

We can also source some ideas by been observant. Just look at our surroundings. Observe hw ppl sit, stand, walk, etc. You might find some interesting natural pose.

So much to learn...'shag' ah.... :sweat:
Well said.

Trying to do something bold, different and inspirational after mastering the mundane is commendable.

But to start dissing bread and butter works of professionals when one is just a student of photography smacks very much of intellectual elitism and a lack of humility.

Hey I think that you have got his intentions wrong.

It is true that he writes with a sense of elitism, but that is just him.
Just ignor the elitist tone and listen to what he says and judge for yourself.

He is trying to challenge ordinaryless to think different,
there are many ways to portray the subject,
there are beauty shots and there are character shots.

I happen to agree with student on the type of portrait is better,
but of course it depends on what ordinaryless wants to acheive,
beauty shots are a good start but after awhile, it will bore you.
Tell the truth, after years of looking at these images they all start
to look the same, with the exception of a few good photogs who keep
their style fresh.

If you can merge the styles of the 2, it would be great.
Think "Herb Ritts" kind of portrait, beauty yet full of charecter.
His kind of portrait will draw the viewer into the image.

Just my opinion.

Dearest all,

I appreciate all your contribution to this little thread of mine. Somehow i do agree with Take1a of what this sentence:" Master Basics First, develop Style Later." Some of the stuff like "creating dynamic shapes (triangles) and lines (diagonals)" that Taku1a has mentioned is also what i wish to learn when i first started this thread. I guess you have lead me to where i want, thank you! :)

Student has made some very good contribution too and what he said is very true but i think creating my own style will only come in at the later stage of my learning curve.

It's very good to hear different views from different individuals when it comes to learning and i guess what i have to do is to choose what's best for me.

I welcome more views/ideas/suggestions/comments.

I did a search on google sg and the address for Riceball Photography Bookstore is as follows:

1 Coleman Street, #04-17 The Adelphi, S(179803)

Hope it'll be helpful to the rest who wish to know more about posing. ;)

ordinaryless said:
It's very good to hear different views from different individuals when it comes to learning and i guess what i have to do is to choose what's best for me.

I welcome more views/ideas/suggestions/comments.

I will not be drawn to pointless arguments. I am not telling you what to do and photograph. I have merely asked you, because you wanted to portray "masculinity", what you personal concept of masculinity is. If your idea of masculinity is what is seen in the men's magazines, by all means, do it! You will have a higher chance of making money than making pictures like Che Guevara which is revered everywhere, but as pointed out, did not bring a single cent to the photographer!

I had written this way, NOT because of an elitist attitude. Heck I am a student just like you! I had written this way, because I was severely chatised by a well respected photographer (not in Singapore) for "posing". (actually more than once). I am still learning, and yesterday received an email from him.

If you go to Riceball, ask Zhong Ling if he has the book "Tao of Photography". Hopefully this book can explain better than I can. But many pages more!

Status
Not open for further replies.