Anyone has any bad experience with DSLR/SLR during ur overseas trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, been to HK, Malaysia, Japan, so far so good.

kegler said:
with ur D2x?

as in street photography.... heard alot of robbery recently in neighbourhood countries
I hanged my camera round my neck and walk when in HK/Japan night/day also same. As for malaysia, I only took it out when I needed to shoot then it's back into the bag. I avoid making large actions when taking the shots or anything.

espn said:
I hanged my camera round my neck and walk when in HK/Japan night/day also same. As for malaysia, I only took it out when I needed to shoot then it's back into the bag. I avoid making large actions when taking the shots or anything.

ok...understand.... hee

Hmmm, let me recall....
1. Bangkok, inside hotel room very cold air con, outside very hot, the minute u bring the camera from hotel room to outside, got foggy condensation on lens, u wipe also cannot.
2. Genting, the opposite, inside hotel room very warm, outside very cold, when u bring camera back to hotel room, condensation again.
3. Vietnam, hang camera on the neck, took the river cruise boat, suddenly big ship sailed pass and created big wave, water flew inside the boat cabin, my head and T-shirt all wet, my immediate response is to use my body to cover the camera at all cost.
4. Robbery very seldom nowadays, maybe other countries ppl are using more expensive cameras than us in Singapore?

espn said:
Nope, been to HK, Malaysia, Japan, so far so good.
Japan is as safe as u can get.

Malaysia? Lets say that I dun like that place very much. ;)

Even Indonesia also not too bad ... I dun have problems walking around Bintan all that with my EOS300D and tons of lens ...

The main problems I had were dust and condensation (in and out of hotels).

When I was in Holland, the locals there remind me to keep my camera out of sight and if possible always hold it. The pick-pockets there are real swift. The word he said was, " If you leave your camera like that (I was hanging my camera on my shoulder) it will be gone in less than a minute if you step outside" I was not willing to take the risk so I keep my camera. I was at the local market where there are lots of beautiful flowers.

Other than that, i find it quite safe.

always have a tripod or monopod with you.. esp on trains in europe.

redstone said:
As self defence? :bsmilie: ;p

Ok... What's the real reason? :think:
haha.. yea just self defence.
a good friend's camera nearly got robbed in istanbul if not for the tripod he was carrying.

Clown said:
haha.. yea just self defence.
a good friend's camera nearly got robbed in istanbul if not for the tripod he was carrying.

seriously im thinking about some more serious.... fighting back is not an option for me.....even if u think im a coward.... i will nvr noe if they have guns in the jacket or back.... anger them later pull out gun..... gone liao....

well i dunno what works for you but for me and some others, having telephone numbers of local authorities are important.

jsbn said:
Malaysia? Lets say that I dun like that place very much. ;)
I bo pian, shooting something, need to bring along :(

Astin said:
Hmmm, let me recall....
4. Robbery very seldom nowadays, maybe other countries ppl are using more expensive cameras than us in Singapore?

Have you been into the real world lately?

paradigm said:
Even Indonesia also not too bad ... I dun have problems walking around Bintan all that with my EOS300D and tons of lens ...
Which part of Bintan?

The resorts in Bintan are surrounded by electric fences and barbed wires and armed guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.