Anyone had Colon Endoscopy before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carllim

Apr 15, 2003
Near Tampines MRT
Visit site
...as in passing an endoscope through your anal opening to "see" the inners of the colon.

Care to share your experience cos I'm going to have one this coming June. :sweat:

NPNT...
haha.. joking :) Why are you having this Colon Endoscopy?
Are they going to make you sleep first?

Also, what is a colon?

You are going to enjoy this! Unless you chose to go to sleep during the process.

Best to choose the sleep option. Then wake up and everything is over.

Hope everything is ok for you. Good luck!

Cheers,

adamadam said:
NPNT...
haha.. joking :) Why are you having this Colon Endoscopy?
Are they going to make you sleep first?

Also, what is a colon?

It's a post surgery check up procedure.
Yup, I'll be sedated throughout the procedure, which last about 15min, as what they said.

The colon is the section of the large intestine extending from the cecum to the rectum.

oh...actually the worse is before the endoscopy itself. they will give you something to take the night before to empty your gut. damn miserable affair ;p

I got one a couple of years back. The tough part is cleaning the bowels the day before. You got to drink like gallons of lexative and you go to toilet like many times until everything is clean. The procedure itself is painless as you are sedated. dun remember much.

dun worry too much and take care of yourself.

yup, the before part is the hard one. u could be quite drained after all the visits to the toilet visits.

Hey...I am going for that too end May. Mine is in the afternnoon so in the morning starting at 6am , I have to drink 16l of laxative to flush the system. You will not be drained as it is 16L of waters!!

The thing is 2 days before, I have to watch my diet too with no veg and meat....

Paladin said:
Hey...I am going for that too end May. Mine is in the afternnoon so in the morning starting at 6am , I have to drink 16l of laxative to flush the system. You will not be drained as it is 16L of waters!!

The thing is 2 days before, I have to watch my diet too with no veg and meat....

Wah...wat a coincidence...
The instruction I got is no vege for 3 days before the procedure. Need to drink 2L of specialy prepared laxative the day before to cleanse the system and no solid food...drinks only. :faint:

juz make sure u are sedated and u are sleeping sweet sweet.. coz u might not want to feel anything going up that (hole)..... u will feel awkward...

A colonoscopy is sometimes recommended to investigate for polyps or other anamolies in the large intestines.

I had a colonoscopy done about 2 years ago. You will be given some stuff to consume the night before to ensure you empty your bowels. Otherwise, the surgeon's view will kenah blocked.

I opted for no sedative for quick recovery. The sedative does not guarantee a painless procedure, but it helps to make the patient less nervous. And you will need to remain in the recovery area until you are assessed to be well enough to leave the place. The scope is stiff as it is fibre optic, and there will be some resistance when turning round the corners.

The discomfort of going through the procedure without sedative will depend on individual pain tolerance levels. For me, it was bearable, and it meant that I was able to leave the place within 15mins of completion.

laokayu said:
A colonoscopy is sometimes recommended to investigate for polyps or other anamolies in the large intestines.

I had a colonoscopy done about 2 years ago. You will be given some stuff to consume the night before to ensure you empty your bowels. Otherwise, the surgeon's view will kenah blocked.

I opted for no sedative for quick recovery. The sedative does not guarantee a painless procedure, but it helps to make the patient less nervous. And you will need to remain in the recovery area until you are assessed to be well enough to leave the place. The scope is stiff as it is fibre optic, and there will be some resistance when turning round the corners.

The discomfort of going through the procedure without sedative will depend on individual pain tolerance levels. For me, it was bearable, and it meant that I was able to leave the place within 15mins of completion.

Thanks for sharing your experience, laokayu. :)

Have had mine done a few years back without sedation. As usual, the process of cleansing the bowel before the procedure is tedious otherwise the whole process was painless albeit with a bit of discomfort towards the end of it.

Paladin said:

16L??? wah sure or not? i think i drank about 2L only. and drink the night before cos whole night sure run to toilet ;p you start at 6am i'm not sure you going to reach doctor's with clean pants man :sweatsm:

Carllim said:
Wah...wat a coincidence...
The instruction I got is no vege for 3 days before the procedure. Need to drink 2L of specialy prepared laxative the day before to cleanse the system and no solid food...drinks only. :faint:

hehe...your doc kiasu lah. they never restrict my diet before the event. just finish dinner before 6 or 7pm then start drinking from 9pm or something.

madmacs said:
hehe...your doc kiasu lah. they never restrict my diet before the event. just finish dinner before 6 or 7pm then start drinking from 9pm or something.

No Veg, no meat, no soya and milk for 3 days. Only rice and carbo allowed. This is to ensure the colon is clean, If not they sent you back. Mine is in NUH.

Carllim said:
...as in passing an endoscope through your anal opening to "see" the inners of the colon.

Care to share your experience cos I'm going to have one this coming June. :sweat:

Why don't you post pictures of your colon taken through the endoscope for all to critique? Would be a Clubsnap first I am sure. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.